ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH118XL Anyone?  (Read 9768 times)

Kevin McDonough

Re: Danley TH118XL Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:34:26 AM »

Certainly looks like a much more professional sack, 3 XLs with a 96 on top.

My only consideration would be it would be good that, when in that format, if there was a way to tilt the top box down a little, rather than firing 50% of the box's output up into the sky (when you have an audience at ground level of course. Other gigs may not need tilt).

K

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 08:22:38 AM »

Certainly looks like a much more professional sack, 3 XLs with a 96 on top.

My only consideration would be it would be good that, when in that format, if there was a way to tilt the top box down a little, rather than firing 50% of the box's output up into the sky (when you have an audience at ground level of course. Other gigs may not need tilt).

K
With the 60* vertical, in many cases, little would be gained by aiming it down, except making it louder in the front.

It would depend on whether it was stacked on the ground or on a tall stage, the distance from the nearest listener to the furthest etc.  A quick Direct model would show what would happen.

Remember that the sound does not "stop" at the coverage angles, that is just the -6dB point.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scot Stevens

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 08:09:32 PM »

Hi Kevin,

I am the one who owned and then sold those TH118's on EBay. The story on EBay was 100% true but I'll add to it.

I had four years experience with Servodrive Bass Tech 7s from 1992-1996 and loved them. Thus, when searching for high end subs for my company I trusted Danley to provide the best. Ivan told me 1-TH118 = 1.5-BT7.

I found out about the PG118 and, because I do "mostly" EDM stuff, my intent was to purchase PG118 cabinets. They were still "very" portable, were reported to go "lower" (than the TH118) and they lined up with the SH96. After my research I gathered the funds and put an order in for two. I was called a week later and told they weren't available. Long story short, I "settled" for two TH118s. They were great! Imagine my surprise though when D began offering the TH118XL three months later. I tried to "trade them in" and was told NO. I immediately ordered six of the XLs anyway as they were the original desire. My system was now formidable yet unmatched.

I decided to sell the TH118s for a several reasons:
1) The skids don't align with my XLs or the SH96 (which I don't own yet, but will). Alignment is important to keep them from walking and the misalignment actually makes them want to walk off the XLs.
2) I am 6'1" tall and the 5" taller XL is EASIER to move around as I don't have to stoop while rolling it. It is a great natural height when tipped.
3) The extra 25 LBS doesn't exist in practical terms - Why? The added height makes the heavier cabinet easier to handle. The XL has more handles built in that make it easer to lift for side stacking. So the 25lb LIGHTER cabinet is actually HARDER to handle (for me and my uses)
4) The XL DOES go lower and I wanted that for my predominant reinforcement use. I lowpass them at 70 although I think you could happily go higher :)
5) I want matching stuff aesthetically.
6) TH118 are great but they are NOT what I originally wanted. Even Ivan could tell you I wanted the XLs after spending probably north of 2 hours on the phone with me cumulatively.
7) One last point I forgot to mention but did in the EBay info... I use Funktion-One tops currently and the Resolution2 simply works better sitting on the 5" taller cabinet in small event applications. Gets the middle of the midrange driver to 75 inches which is over "most" peoples heads. Cut five inches and it sits @70 inches which is much more likely to create blockage.

Let me add that I appreciate that Danley, and Ivan in particular, are happy to spend time talking shop with small fish. Amazing customer service guys :)

Cheers,

Scot
California Pro Sound And Light

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 08:09:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.