ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on using a stock show  (Read 4027 times)

Matt Greiner

Re: Opinions on using a stock show
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »

Scott, I have just moved to a festival patch myself on my M32, and I am so glad I did.  I was previously doing sound for just one band, but this year I've got quite a few shows booked with bands I've never worked with.

I was the same as you, wanting everything to be as tight as possible, trying to condense to one layer (16 channels) if possible.  And it was a lot of extra work, and mistakes were made.  Now when I get a new band, I use one of the festival patches, and then channels that aren't used, I just quickly change the channel strip color to black so I know they aren't used/extra.

I also made a laminated sheet and it saves time.  I leave some channels unassigned on purpose, so I can easily write in a name/instrument where it's blank.  Where it has helped the most, I would say, is when the band has a splitter snake and has different channel assignments.  Quick and easy to mark their channel number on my sheet for quick, physical patching.  I also included on my sheet my 16 outputs, for quick reference at the stage box for making sure all my monitors and L/R are correct as well.

I've attached it for reference.  I'm open to suggestions for improving it if anyone would like to share.

Edit - all of my references to left and right are house left and house right.  Since I am at FOH, I thought I would just use the same perspective.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:49:00 PM by Matt Greiner »

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 11:56:59 PM »

Scott.  Yea I love the flexibility of the X32 architecture but sold my console three years ago as soon as I discovered the flexibility of MixingStation to (among other things) reorder channels in the display. As I've mentioned here before, IMHO the X/M32 consoles dearly need a custom layer option. I mix whatever bands get booked each night and like others here have a starting patch but I don't get too hung up on factoring in "burn channels" as if I need to add an unexpected instrument I've no problem just sticking it up past the four vocals if needed (or with other instruments but out of looker's left-to-right order) as I then only have to drag that fader into whatever position I prefer on the tablet. Likewise while I'm no great fan of the QU-24 console at my normal venue it does have an easily definable custom layer so I can do the same there when I use it. One caveat, since the QU doesn't have scribble strips I do need to reorder the faders before labeling the board tape obviously. All that said, it sounds like a festival patch with built in burn channels is your best bet.
..db

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 12:24:20 AM »

I typically only deal with 4-5 piece drum kits but same thing.  Couple spare inputs around them.  Couple for the bass just in case I have to mic the amp or a stand up bass.  Couple keys, and 4 or so between the instruments and the vox for acoustic guitars or whatever.  Sometimes a single horn will go in there.  Or out at the end after the vox mics.

I used to try and advance and pre-set the board but getting a reliable stage plot and input list from the local bands playing music in the park things can be tough.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »

I used to try and advance and pre-set the board but getting a reliable stage plot and input list from the local bands playing music in the park things can be tough.

I have found that if I reach out to the band and ask, they will usually respond and give as much information as possible. You are looking to service them and the paying client. Most bands also see it that you care and sets up a good "vibe" before the event is even loaded in.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »

I have found that if I reach out to the band and ask, they will usually respond and give as much information as possible. You are looking to service them and the paying client. Most bands also see it that you care and sets up a good "vibe" before the event is even loaded in.

I completely agree with this.  But I still like to have several festival patches available when you don't get the best/correct information from the band.

I even take it a step further and follow up after the event with the band(s) and the promoter/venue to talk about what went right and wrong, and how to improve for the next gig.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »

I like to do my "festival patch" in groups of 8:

1-8 drums
9-16 "Rock" - bass, three amps, four channels for keys
17-24 "Other" - DI's, instrument mics
25-32 vocals

I have Soundcraft Si consoles, so I like to use bus 9-14 as Groups:

9: drums
10: bass
11: guitars
12: keys
13: instruments
14: vocals

1-7 are for monitors of course, and 8 is for subs.

I mostly do small to medium sized festival stages so this layout has yet to let me down.

Nice thing about the Si consoles, if there's a band engineer who wants a different layout, I can quickly re-assign faders as needed - "just write on the tape what you want and I'll set it up for you"- takes about a minute or two. Reload show after they're done and I'm back in my comfort zone.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »

Steve,

That's what advance the show means, yes?  You're the second person suggesting to reach out to the band to get an input list in response to a post where the poster clearly stated they are advancing the show. It's not working apparently for some of us.

Like Stephen Kirby, I do try to advance all my shows, reaching out directly to the bands themselves, and my experience even with working semi-pro bands  is you get old stage plots, bad information, wrong input lists etc. That's the whole problem.   
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 04:54:20 PM »

In the Bay Area there's lots of subbing and casuals going on.  Someone will hire a bandleader or singer based on previous shows but often the band is fluid pretty close to the event.  Depends on who they can get and who bails at the last moment for a better paying gig.  I also play in this circuit so I know how it goes (although I don't bail on people unless a primary band calls and I can find a superior sub, often paying them extra out of my pocket).
So you contact the "band" and are told that there will be two horns.  But at the gig they may have found two more.  Or lost them and brought in a second keyboard.
Flexible festival patch saves many headaches.
If it's a really tight working band I can often get some reasonable information in the advance.  I still leave a couple inputs between groups for surprises though.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »

Steve,

That's what advance the show means, yes?  You're the second person suggesting to reach out to the band to get an input list in response to a post where the poster clearly stated they are advancing the show. It's not working apparently for some of us.

Like Stephen Kirby, I do try to advance all my shows, reaching out directly to the bands themselves, and my experience even with working semi-pro bands  is you get old stage plots, bad information, wrong input lists etc. That's the whole problem.

Even with the same band, it all depends on the moon phase.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »

Absolutely - it's rare that the band's configuration matches the spec in my world.  Either the members have changed since the spec, or the drummer's changed his kit, or they've dropped/added an  instrument.

Yes, the X32 has the frustration of not having full custom layers, though the per channel input soft patching can fix up most issues.  Also, there are some great tools developed by an X32 user at https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

Amongst these are X32CustomLayer, a Windows utility, that allows for channels to be moved around the desk, or for channels to be inserted into an existing layout.  This is a great way of having a standard festival patch, without needing burner channels, but being able to add channels into the layout if required.  Really useful at times...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.