ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: front lighting  (Read 2269 times)

John Roll

front lighting
« on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »

I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to cover Center Stage better with my front lighting. Right now I'm using two chauvet slimpars per side, using one of the fixtures on each side to cover Center Stage. The others cover sides stage musicians. Is there a better fixture to use to cover Center Stage more efficiently as the lead singer or musician at Center Stage drops in and out of the light beam. Or should I consider adding another fixture per side to do this?

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: front lighting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:08 AM »

Adding a third matching instrument to your FOH wash will allow you to split the stage area into 3 zones instead of just 2. The third instrument can be focused center stage, and therefore give you a wider area of uniform luminous intensity.  In addition, you can change the intensity (and color) of the SL and SR zones while leaving the center brighter, giving your lead musician a visual highlight.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »

Hi John, here are a few suggestions that add on what Mark said.  You can try any or all of them to fit your liking!
  • Add a fixture to each side with a wider beam angle.  I love the SlimPar Pro Series for what they are (and what they cost), but there are many wide-angle options on the market such as the Chauvet Colorado Solo and Elation Fuze Series that can help supplement "beamy" fixtures.
  • Add diffusion to your existing fixtures to help soften their edges.
  • Pull your fixtures further downstage.  This will give more of a front fill component to your wash that can help if your singer likes to wander a bit.
  • Compounding on these two, consider adding another fixture position all together.  Since it sound like you have your upstage area covered, consider a pair of wash lights closer to a 30 degree angle offset from center (for the reasons mentioned above).  If you get a zoomable fixture you can have tight effects for emphasis on the singer or wider looks (wrangled with barndoors as necessary) to supplement your existing washes. 
Hope this helps!   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.