ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone work The Roots lately?  (Read 7977 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Anyone work The Roots lately?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »

Who's been here long enough to remember the rants in the old LAB about the Roots basically destroying every rig they touched? Their soundman would push the system until the PA would literally destroy itself. I think they even had big body guards by the console to keep anyone from doing anything about it, IIRC.

When I first saw them on the TSSJF I couldn't believe this was the infamous "leave nothing but blown up gear behind" band. They seemed so decent on the show...

Wish the archives weren't broken (been that way for many months) so I could post a link to those threads. It was pretty horrifying what they were doing back then.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »

Who's been here long enough to remember the rants in the old LAB about the Roots basically destroying every rig they touched? Their soundman would push the system until the PA would literally destroy itself. I think they even had big body guards by the console to keep anyone from doing anything about it, IIRC.

When I first saw them on the TSSJF I couldn't believe this was the infamous "leave nothing but blown up gear behind" band. They seemed so decent on the show...

Wish the archives weren't broken (been that way for many months) so I could post a link to those threads. It was pretty horrifying what they were doing back then.

IIRC the FOH person was "Scientist" or something like that... and yes, he had both a reputation for destructive operation and a dismissive "you didn't bring enough PA" to go with the tour security that staff the mix position.

No idea what his real name was or if he's still in the industry or with Roots.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »

IIRC the FOH person was "Scientist" or something like that...
Does the name Artless Poole ring any bells?

And yes, the sub requirements say: Sufficient Sub-Bass cabinets must be provided, as they are a critical part of the musical
performance. (If you think you have enough, get more!)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »

Does the name Artless Poole ring any bells?

And yes, the sub requirements say: Sufficient Sub-Bass cabinets must be provided, as they are a critical part of the musical
performance. (If you think you have enough, get more!)
Haha! Indeed, Artless is still their FOH man. Woe to those who disregard their specs (warnings).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »

Haha! Indeed, Artless is still their FOH man.
Same guy that destroyed PA systems back in the day?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »

Haha! Indeed, Artless is still their FOH man. Woe to those who disregard their specs (warnings).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

[beats head against the wall]
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »

[beats head against the wall]

You'll want a stadium PA for a shed show and a shed PA for an arena-size show.  Your local-ish choices are likely to be deemed inadequate.

Prepare to be shocked at the audio production quotes once the act is named.  I don't recall lighting being contentious.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »

You'll want a stadium PA for a shed show and a shed PA for an arena-size show.  Your local-ish choices are likely to be deemed inadequate.

Prepare to be shocked at the audio production quotes once the act is named.  I don't recall lighting being contentious.
I already know that no one in Oklahoma has the SD7s, SD5s, or SD10s that they want. I cna get a pair of SD12s, but I doubt those will be acceptable.

I doubt anyone in the state has the Meyer Leo, D&B J Series, V-Dosc or JBL VTX that they want with their D&B B2 subs either. I have inquiries out to see what's available.

This is opening weekend for an outdoor venue that probably stands about 4,000.

Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »

I started that thread about 15/20?? years ago.  They took out about half the components in a very adequately size ground stacked Turbosound Floodlight rig playing a smallish college basketball gym.  I have no idea what the FOH guys name was but he was absolutely abusive in the way he ran the rig.  Massive clipping on the front end of pretty much every input channel.  I am pretty sure it was his way of saying that the rig wasn't big enough or good enough for him.  Did  the Roots again about 8/10 years ago with a flown Turbo Aspect rig - outside about 5000 peeps.  I have no idea if it was the same FOH dude or not, but everything was fine.  I can imagine the group being demanding today, given their profile, but I can't imagine that they would be anything but professional..
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »

IIRC the FOH person was "Scientist" or something like that... and yes, he had both a reputation for destructive operation and a dismissive "you didn't bring enough PA" to go with the tour security that staff the mix position.

No idea what his real name was or if he's still in the industry or with Roots.

/swerve

I did an outdoor reggae festival in DC with “the scientist” in the late 90s. I was driving the PA but that guy drove ME. He was ON ME ALL DAY. He wanted me to open up the limiters and drive it to clip and he would NOT let it go.  Over the course of the day he gradually wore me down (I was younger and easier to push around).  When the PA got back to the shop over a dozen 18s were blown up.  The shop guys were pissed at me for months.

I never let anyone dictate what I did to “my” PA ever again!

P.S.  to make matters worse, after riding me for hours at FOH he finally took a walk into the crowd (FOH was behind everyone), came back and told me that it did indeed sound fine when you got to where the punters were.  GRRRRRRRRRR

/End Swerve
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:18:16 PM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.