ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How to keep tops from rotating  (Read 5764 times)

Lou Kohley

Re: How to keep tops from rotating
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »

The speaker will sit on a rubber pad on the top platform.  The post will not be quite as deep as the socket in the speaker.
There will be a pinch knob to clamp the bottom socket to the tripod.

Can’t wait to see them Dave.

LOU

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »

In the meantime, here's this weekend's solution :)
Colorado Springs, CO

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »

I've used my K&M tilt adaptors just for the expanding mandrel piece but I get annoyed when manufacturers don't design fittings that protect stands and poles. ......Unlike other attachments I use ( some much less expensive), that have a piece of plastic or similar between the tightening screw and whatever it is being tightened to, the K&M does not and the screw eats into the stand and makes it look nasty. I hate that. So I end up pushing one of my little home made shims between the screw and the shaft....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 06:20:24 PM »

In the meantime, here's this weekend's solution :)

Go to True Value or Ace Hardware and buy a couple Rubber O-Rings the barely fit around your speaker pole.  Place them on the pokes so they just barely create friction with the speaker pole cuts when the speakers are placed on the stands.  Very inexpensive and works like a charm.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »

... the K&M does not and the screw eats into the stand and makes it look nasty. I hate that.
I did not realize that!  Thanks for the post.

Ryan - thanks for the O-ring idea!
Colorado Springs, CO

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 06:52:42 PM »

Cut a chunk of sponge and push it into the hole/cup. Speaker won't turn and pole won't get stuck. Sponge stays in hole ready for next use.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Allred

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »

Cut a chunk of sponge and push it into the hole/cup. Speaker won't turn and pole won't get stuck. Sponge stays in hole ready for next use.

Or  cut a round piece of rubber, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 or so, glue to the top of the pole or in the speaker socket.
Maybe 1-1/4 Dia.  You need to be able to compress with your fingers slightly.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:12:50 AM by David Allred »

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »

I've used my K&M tilt adaptors just for the expanding mandrel piece but I get annoyed when manufacturers don't design fittings that protect stands and poles. ......Unlike other attachments I use ( some much less expensive), that have a piece of plastic or similar between the tightening screw and whatever it is being tightened to, the K&M does not and the screw eats into the stand and makes it look nasty. I hate that. So I end up pushing one of my little home made shims between the screw and the shaft....

I feel your pain Debbie!  That adapter (19674) is a cheap-stand-killer! I'm glad it's not just me.

The BT-12CL tilters I replaced them with are sooo much better, but I also have a short K&M extension pole (21360) that has the expanding mandrels at each end and it's very solid.  Locks in at both ends (sub and top).
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 11:09:10 PM »

I couldn't imagine having a set of SM-80s without having BT-12 tilters.  Since they are a conical pattern, they would almost always need to be aimed downwards.  Having an easily variable angle is just the ticket.  Nimrod actually added the top lock mechanism after a couple early users with SM-80s mentioned the speakers rotating when tilted.  They're made for each other.  Although I sure love using mine with DSRs too.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 11:17:51 PM »

I have a pair of BT-12's. I used to have a pair of K&M 19674 tilters until they were stolen. The K&M were weird to adjust, they got a little stuck in certain speakers which made them hard to remove, and it's difficult to aim them once they're on the tilters since "front" changes as the angle changes. The BT-12's are amazing, and a pleasure to use every time. I can't think of anything that could be improved on them.

I'd highly recommend the BT-12's over any other tilter. Just my opinion.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 11:17:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.