ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Large donation - Music leader wants new speaker system  (Read 9694 times)

Paul Reedy

Re: Large donation - Music leader wants new speaker system
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »

Along with a new board and pc, they could upgrade the video screens from SD to 16:9, that to me would be a decent upgrade.

Paul Reedy

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »

One thing that I might suggest, our amps are old, we've had to replace one or 2 over the years, so we could go ahead and update the rest of the amps as a proactive measure to prevent mtbf failures in the future.

Another thing I didn't agree with was the amplifiers that were suggested would not be thermally compatible with the amps we have now.  We have all Crown amps which suck in the front and blow out the sides in the rack, and to put a QSC or other amp that sucks in from the back wouldn't be a good idea.

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 02:28:13 AM »

I'd like to suggest feeding and clothing more poor people than the congregation was able to before the donation, to make their lives easier.

Touché and point well made. That would be a much better use of the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »

Touché and point well made. That would be a much better use of the money!

Well, they can always take the existing AV budget and help the needy while refilling the AV from the donation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Allred

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »

We have a member of the congregation that's promised a large donation for the worship team to use as they see fit.  I personally suggested a new board (Midas M32) and an iMac for the sound board.

The music leader wants to change out the speakers we have with a line array system.  I'm not sure how I feel about this since we really don't have problems with bad sound, lack of sound, or loud areas.

Thoughts?

The member specified "as they see fit".    Of course that probably meant within the music realm.  I wonder if the member is telling the music leader they don't sound as good as he would like. ;D

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »

...I wonder if the member is telling the music leader they don't sound as good as he would like. ;D
Vocal training?! just kidding.

It’s wonderful to know your congregation give like this. I am sure ours would too but currently our tech budget is generally what I buy to donate to the equipment such as recently a pair of dbx 266xl comps and some decent insert leads. Glad to have done it though!

Maybe your team and other church leaders should get together and have a prayer session for wisdom on what to spend it on? (Maybe this has already been done).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »

I won't repeat what others have said, but simply "doing something to do something" is often the WRONG way, or to " be popular or cool".

Doing something to FIX a SPECIFIC problem is a different story.

If your current speaker system is working fine-keep it, and get some tools that do need upgrading.

But if you do change the speaker system-BE SURE to make the designer accountable for the design and make them understand that if it is not an upgrade, you want the old system reinstalled at no charge.

All to often systems are swapped out, and the results are worse than the old one.  That is NOT progress.  Make sure you move forward, or else you are just wasting the Churches money and it is working for the intended purpose.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

scottstephens

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 02:06:40 PM »

Paul,

In my humble opinion, you are not going to convince someone  who is not technical about why the something they want will not technically work. You need to sit down with that person and ask what it is they are not happy with and why is it that they think they need a "line array".  They may not ever "get" the technical side, but at least you can get them to put their resources to better uses.

I will say that being a person who used the JF series 3-wide in a church, they do get  "tired" after about a dozen years. We upgraded to a "line array looking" EV QRX system and it does a pretty job, not my favorite system but I didn't pay for it.

Good Luck

Scott

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »

Check that your current speakers are all working correctly as in no blown drivers. Maybe an upgrade in system processing would be something to think about.

Paul Reedy

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »

Check that your current speakers are all working correctly as in no blown drivers. Maybe an upgrade in system processing would be something to think about.

I'm not real familiar with system processing, what job would this device use, and do you have an example of some that I can look at?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.