ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator  (Read 3972 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Generator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »

Just be prepared for the fuel bill. Around here fuel ends up more than the rental.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

We refuel them if we're the renter.  We have gas and diesel around the corner from our shop.  It we were close to the agricultural areas we'd get dyed (off-road, no motor fuel taxes) diesel for the genset tank but it's not worth the drive to save $30-$40.

One festival client hires a fuel service and they top off the tanks before the genny shop picks them up.  Location fueling is still cheaper than rental shop fueling.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »

In my case 8 hours run time is included in the rate.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »

^^^ THIS ^^^

When all is said and done a "real genset" is often easier to use, is more stable and quieter than all but the inverter generators.

And it sits on a big tank and will run all day and night without refueling.  Folks seem to have an aversion to the MQ gensets but after fooling around with poorly or unregulated, LOUD AS ALL FUCK gasoline utility generators years ago I went MQ diesel and never looked back.

I've mostly given up advocating for them here in the Lounge because nobody wants to hear it.

+1. You won't spend the whole event anxious about the genny.
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 03:04:49 PM »

^^^ THIS ^^^

When all is said and done a "real genset" is often easier to use, is more stable and quieter than all but the inverter generators.

And it sits on a big tank and will run all day and night without refueling.  Folks seem to have an aversion to the MQ gensets but after fooling around with poorly or unregulated, LOUD AS ALL FUCK gasoline utility generators years ago I went MQ diesel and never looked back.

I've mostly given up advocating for them here in the Lounge because nobody wants to hear it.

The several times I have been provided an MQ class genset have been very pleasant (other than the shorter than needed feeders which were easily corrected by the lengths I through in the truck just in case).

Around here, the problem I find is that the rentals are easily $400 plus (that is plus delivery, feeder & spider) which makes it tough for some budgets.

The reaction from telling the customer what my power requirements are usually is a first filter on taking the gig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »

^^^ THIS ^^^

I spec MQ's on every job so your voice is heard here.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »

in my area I can get a multiquip tow in 25 kw for under $200...
In my area they are significantly more expensive than that (I got a quote for $900 once) as they require an electrical permit and inspection. Generators under 10KW are exempt from inspection. I have used a Honda EU6500 on a much larger system than the OP is proposing with great results.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »

That's about the cost for them in Iowa as well ($160). True it doesn't include delivery, pick-up, or fuel, but I just build that into the cost of the event with the rental price.  To me, it's piece of mind to have one instead of homeowner level generators.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »

In my area they are significantly more expensive than that (I got a quote for $900 once) as they require an electrical permit and inspection. Generators under 10KW are exempt from inspection. I have used a Honda EU6500 on a much larger system than the OP is proposing with great results.
Takeaway here (for those following along at home, not you, TJ!): ALWAYS check your local Authority Having Jurisdiction regarding requirements for Temporary Power for Special Events. Some cities/towns/counties/whatever want anything over 10kW permitted/inspected, some it'll be over 5kW (which means even that EU6500/EU7000 would need grounding and permitting!). And I am sure there are jurisdictions out there who want to inspect/permit ANY generator use. Some require bonding to the stage. Some require temp. fencing grounded. Some require that you be a licensed electrical contractor to do the work.

Make sure you do your due diligence to ensure that you are satisfying the requirements of your area. You don't want to be "that guy" who caused your client's event to be shut down because the process wasn't followed!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 01:49:03 PM »

Takeaway here (for those following along at home, not you, TJ!): ALWAYS check your local Authority Having Jurisdiction regarding requirements for Temporary Power for Special Events. Some cities/towns/counties/whatever want anything over 10kW permitted/inspected, some it'll be over 5kW (which means even that EU6500/EU7000 would need grounding and permitting!). And I am sure there are jurisdictions out there who want to inspect/permit ANY generator use. Some require bonding to the stage. Some require temp. fencing grounded. Some require that you be a licensed electrical contractor to do the work.

Make sure you do your due diligence to ensure that you are satisfying the requirements of your area. You don't want to be "that guy" who caused your client's event to be shut down because the process wasn't followed!

-Ray

^^^ This
I rent an MQ every year for a 4 day event. With setup it becomes a 5 day event. Only after the event is over do I go fuel it up since it's cheaper for me to do it myself then have the rental company charge me. We always get ESA (Electrical Safety Association) to come and have a look at what we are doing. Stage is always grounded also. We always  do cams from the genset into our distros and have plenty of power for what we are doing.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »

^^^ THIS ^^^

I had absolutely no idea one could be rented for that.
At that price, why would anyone own a genset?  Of course, as noted, prices vary greatly.
Fuel is fuel, and cost is cost.  Run a genny, expect to feed it.
Great thought using dyed, off-road diesel... if it is readily available.
Permitting - more food for thought...

Oh, the pain! The PAIN!  Those utility gens are unbelievably bad and loud. (yes, "LOUD AS ALL FUCK") and usually old, with a semi-perforated muffler.  By time you get them far enough away to reduce them to 85dBA, the voltage drop will kill you, let alone regulation.

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.