ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULXD Dante/Control Network Question  (Read 3556 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Shure ULXD Dante/Control Network Question
« on: June 08, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »

Hello All,

I have a batch of Cisco SG500-28P switches I am using for a large show I am working on. I have everything working except I cannot get Shure WWB6 to recognize any of the RF on the Dante Network.

A couple of notes below
- There is no DHCP server on the Dante network
- Shure ULX-D is Dante port is set to Redundant mode
- The port the laptop is patched into on the switch is untagged with the Dante VLAN and I am getting a self assigned IP which is what it should be getting. All other networks on the switches have a DHCP server tied to them.
- I am getting a 169.254.xxx.xxx self assigned on the ULX-D which is what it should be getting.
- I can ping the ULX-D control IP from the laptop running WWB
- All of the ULX-D show up in Dante Controller on the laptop and Dante is functioning 100% so I know the port is tagged to the correct VLAN.

So the main question is, I can Ping the ULX-D on the network, but wireless workbench isn't finding anything.

I have also verified the correct network interface is selected in WWB.

Any other ideas on this one? I am stumped.

Thanks in adavnce
Steven

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Brad Harris

Re: Shure ULXD Dante/Control Network Question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:33:53 PM »

Hello All,

I have a batch of Cisco SG500-28P switches I am using for a large show I am working on. I have everything working except I cannot get Shure WWB6 to recognize any of the RF on the Dante Network.

A couple of notes below
- There is no DHCP server on the Dante network
- Shure ULX-D is Dante port is set to Redundant mode
- The port the laptop is patched into on the switch is untagged with the Dante VLAN and I am getting a self assigned IP which is what it should be getting. All other networks on the switches have a DHCP server tied to them.
- I am getting a 169.254.xxx.xxx self assigned on the ULX-D which is what it should be getting.
- I can ping the ULX-D control IP from the laptop running WWB
- All of the ULX-D show up in Dante Controller on the laptop and Dante is functioning 100% so I know the port is tagged to the correct VLAN.

So the main question is, I can Ping the ULX-D on the network, but wireless workbench isn't finding anything.

I have also verified the correct network interface is selected in WWB.

Any other ideas on this one? I am stumped.

Thanks in adavnce
Steven

Are you looking to control the network, send DANTE audio through the network, or both?

Brad

Aram Piligian

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »

Even with the correct interface selected, I've had issues with ULX-Ds not showing up if other networks are active on the computer, especially Wifi.  Have you turned off/disabled all other adapters except for the one that's being used for WWB? 

Also, the ULX-Ds use Multicast traffic to broadcast their presence, from what I understand.  If your switches are configured with a very tight rein on multicast traffic, that could be an issue too. 

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 05:37:50 PM »

Are you looking to control the network, send DANTE audio through the network, or both?

Brad

Yes, in Redundant mode you should be able to pass Dante and control on the primary dante port.
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 05:41:18 PM »

Even with the correct interface selected, I've had issues with ULX-Ds not showing up if other networks are active on the computer, especially Wifi.  Have you turned off/disabled all other adapters except for the one that's being used for WWB? 

Also, the ULX-Ds use Multicast traffic to broadcast their presence, from what I understand.  If your switches are configured with a very tight rein on multicast traffic, that could be an issue too.

I just tried it again with nothing else connected, Wifi disabled, the only network adapter was a hardwired ethernet.

I will go through the multicast settings again and make sure I am not missing anything on the switches, I have a very good feeling it is something in the switch config, I have 6 different networks running on them for various show needs so everything is pretty locked down at this point.
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

I managed to get this working last night over wifi of all things first than off the hardwired line. Absolutely no idea how why it is all of a sudden working as I did not change anything in the network configuration. I hate when things like this pop up and there is no clear definitive answer on what fixed the issue.

But here is the gist of the setup in case it helps someone in the future.

Sure ULX-D (Port set to redundant) > Dante Primary > Cisco Switch Port configured for untagged for Dante VLAN (10 in my case) > Cisco Trunk Port >Ruckus R500 WAP> SSID tagged with Dante VLAN

Macbook Pro is running same signal path as above but with a hard wired connection to a trunk port. Create a virtual interface with a VLAN tag to match your dante network, set that as the active interface in WWB6 and it should be good to go. As other have said it is hit or miss if you have other interfaces active on the machine.

Windows Surface Pro same config as above and it appears to work over the wireless or with a hardwired connection through a USB to ethernet adapter.

On another note, this is the first time I have run this large of a network on a show to integrate all systems and have them available from anywhere on the network without have a bunch of little routers and switches everywhere and trying to remember what is patched into what.

The major points of the setup are (6) Cisco SG500 switches (3) Primary and (3) Secondary. Fiber link between all the switches throughout the venue.

(6) VLANs for various networks (Dante Primary (also carries traffic for wireless workbench), Dante Secondary, Console Control, LA Network Manager, D&B R1 V3 Manager, and Admin network.

Dante network is handling 5 console, 4 RIO boxes, a Studer I/O box for the truck, and most of the wireless.

SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.