ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker recommendations  (Read 3117 times)

Ken Ryan

Speaker recommendations
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »

Hi All. I perform a one man show singing to backing tracks. I have a lower end system that has served me pretty well, but I am starting to do larger venues (100-250 people). I would appreciate any input as to what I should look at for an upgrade. Im currently leaning towards the Mackie ProFx 8 V2 for a mixer, but I'm a little lost as to speakers. 12" or 15"?? Appreciate any feedback

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »

Appreciate any feedback

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »

I'd avoid 15" tops unless they're running a 1.4" or 2" exit compression driver. The reason being that 15" cones are often quite rough into the midrange, and even the ones that sound okay have very narrow dispersion - they might sound fine directly in front, but take two steps to the side and there's a big suckout in the midrange. The result is bad sound for most of the audience.
The larger compression drivers can run further down into the midrange, so the 15" covers lower midrange and bass, where they generally sound fine and have useful dispersion.

In your position, I'd look at 10" tops and 15" subs, or maybe one of the bigger RCF Evox systems. I'd seriously consider a mono setup instead of stereo. It's half the boxes to move, and you'll get a step up in quality by throwing your budget at just one speaker setup.

Let us know your budget and any other pertinent info, and we'll probably make some recommendations.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.