ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?  (Read 11348 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2018, 04:24:52 AM »

The winning and best answer -- until the thread moved to the Lounge.  I still like it.

And when I'm an IATSE stage hand it means I move cables for other people; in the shop I manage it means I'm moving our cables.  I'm too old for this... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »

The winning and best answer -- until the thread moved to the Lounge.  I still like it.

This answers who, not what.  :D
Colorado Springs, CO

John Fruits

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »

This answers who, not what.  :D
Well golly, that still leaves the when, where and why! ;D
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Rick Powell

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »

Everything goes on two road cases which measure around 20x24x36. One for mic cords and speaker cables, one for AC cords. We carry a hand truck/cart where we can roll both together. My son and I are both capable of lifting one case on the cart by ourselves, but it’s easier as a 2 man lift. If we were going to change it would be to a large case on wheels for everything.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2018, 12:38:36 AM »

I cut down the number of lengths I carry. Generally for moderate size stages I have 20 or 25’ with some shorter ones for the drum kit. I may pack some 50 or 100’ if needed but they are not usually on the stage.

I find that too many lengths has people spending too much time selecting the optimum length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Schalk

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »

These?
If you must buy plastic bins from Home Depot I've had good luck with these.  They're strong enough to stand on (and thus avoid getting crushed in transit) but not overly expensive. I've also never had the bottom fall out unlike the cheaper storage totes you can get for $9 at any big box retailer.

I use one of these as my main cable trunk.  150' 24x8 snake on the bottom with A/C and speaker cables on top.  It has held up well for over 100 shows and yes, you can stand on it.  Packed full it is a two person lift into the back of a van.  It rolls okay on its two wheels, but I'd say the lack of four wheels is the least useful part of this $70 option.  I have optimized the pack so that my spare A/C and speaker cables stay in the van.  Mic cables ride in a separate case.

FWIW I don't see anything wrong with going with sturdier plastic bins if you have no plans to grow your system beyond the lounge level.  As others have mentioned, the little wheels on the M040 Audiopile cases are not very useful.  The band that I am the BE for has one, and it rides in and out of the venue on top of the mixer case.

Rob Gow

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »

I used to use the classic milk crates when I started way back. I’ve since replaced them with mic cases that hold 24 mic’s. I would have bought appropriate trunks from Audiopile but they don’t ship to Canada.

I have 4 of these for various cables etc.

kel mcguire

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »

I'm generally searching for old road cases, photo cases and such on craigslist. So, I've managed to find some nice used cases for cables, snakes and things in sizes I can lift and use. Most of my things are able to be loaded by just me if I have to. Not opposed to the yellow top plastic tubs from Depot. They get heavy and awkward to lift or put on hand dolly. Those are typically for extra inventory that stays in my garage and often goes out to jobs too; LED fixtures, extension cords, IEC, short fantail XLR. Milk crates are organized for small custom gigs. I keep my band stuff separate and it's in two of those Depot yellow top tubs, one small one larger for my drum stuff.

I don't really care that other sound persons might look at my cases/storage with judgemental, pretentious opinions at the mismatch, used qualities or my plastic tubs.  ;) I've seen plenty of small sound co's having brand-new fancy stenciled road cases that looked great but didn't do a good job on the sound part.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »

Like most here I've used bins, reels and cases. What I did recently though is only carry 15 and 50 foot lengths. They're back on reels due to the other guys helping load out but with only these two length there's less confusion and quicker set up.

John Schalk

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »

Like most here I've used bins, reels and cases. What I did recently though is only carry 15 and 50 foot lengths. They're back on reels due to the other guys helping load out but with only these two length there's less confusion and quicker set up.

I have only 15' (red) and 30' (blue) mic cables and several sub-snakes.  I've been very happy with that particular decision.  I over/under most of my cables, although I will straight coil the shorter lengths.  The band I am the BE for has their own PA and uses a single reel for all mic cables.  We run into the issue of un-spooling a very long cable when you only need 20', but the biggest issue is when the connections separate on the spool.  This can create quite a mess to untangle if the person doesn't stop and correct the issue right away.  The more banged up your mic cables are, the more likely this is to occur.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.