ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Running in the rain...  (Read 4267 times)

Mal Brown

Running in the rain...
« on: June 06, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »

Got back to back HS Graduation ceremonies Friday pm, Saturday am.   60% Chance of rain Friday and 70 % Saturday...

About 3000 people Friday and about half that Sat.   I’ll be running my 3 way Renkus tops on scaffolding, 2 per side.  1 LA400 on a pallet below.

I’ll tarp the racks and backs of the cabs.  The woofers are front radiating and scotch guarded.  Mid’s and hi’s are buried in the horn.  Anything I should do for the fronts? 
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Running in the rain...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »

Well, this suggestion is a little late but perhaps helpful for next time...

I have weather covers for the mains of 2 of my rigs.
Got them from Undercover NYC.

Much faster to deploy than tarps and they provide that peace of mind that you don’t need to worry about the mains if it starts raining and can focus on the stuff on the ground.

For this week, contractor bags for wedges, tarps for mixers.
I have a large tarp I bring that will cover the whole stage and then some. Lay down mic stands, remove guitars and such and then cover the whole thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »

Anything I should do for the fronts?

I use 55 gallon clear trash bags. Pull them tight and tape them in the back as to not rattle. Ran several shows like this..

Edit: a few years ago I was lovingly called Rainmaker Audio..

Art Nadelman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »

I have weather covers for the mains of 2 of my rigs.
Got them from Undercover NYC.

I agree about the Undercover NYC covers!  They are the best. Especially here in Florida where it can rain at the drop of the hat.  (I have thunder right now).  I have 4 on order for new subs and are selling 2 for KW181 subs that I recently sold and no longer need.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »

I agree about the Undercover NYC covers!  They are the best. Especially here in Florida where it can rain at the drop of the hat.  (I have thunder right now).  I have 4 on order for new subs and are selling 2 for KW181 subs that I recently sold and no longer need.

Send me a PM. I might be interested in the KW covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Schalk

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

I've used 39 gal trash bags to cover my DX1295 tops deployed on stands, and that size is a near perfect fit.  Aesthetically it may not look the best, but it withstood 2" of rain in 30 minutes last July 4th.  I don't want to talk about the tarp that blew off the subs :(   The rain hit prior to the show, so we just dragged the monitors and back line gear upstage as far was we could. 

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »

I use 55 gallon clear trash bags. Pull them tight and tape them in the back as to not rattle. Ran several shows like this..

Edit: a few years ago I was lovingly called Rainmaker Audio..

I tried something like that, and found they still flapped against the grille, giving a rattly sound whenever there was any cone movement to speak of.

Any tips?
Foam over the grille?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »

Apply scotchguard to the direct radiating drivers anyone ? 
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »

+1 for Undercover NYC covers - their lead time is around 4-weeks, FYI.

We also have a ton of these:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12308/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open/60-x-60-2-Mil-Industrial-Poly-Bags

They fit over amp racks, mix racks, etc. Our console always sits under a KD Canopy tent (5x5 or 10x10 depending on the event), but we also keep a few tarps handy.

My bigger gripe about rain is mud/dirt after it rains. I've got a mess of cables right now that are caked with mud. Mud on the XLR connectors... ugh.

Art Nadelman

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »

I use grill covers for my mixers from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Accessories-Veranda-Barbecue-BBQ-Grill-Patio-Storage-Cover-Up-to-64-Wide-Large/10401675

And lounge chair covers or grill covers for my mixer racks from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Veranda-Patio-Lounge-Chair-Club-Chair-Cover-Outdoor-Furniture-Cover-Fits-Chairs-35-L-x-38-D/15413850

These things are bullet-proof.

I also use those grill covers for drum kits.  They're really large!

As I said earlier, Undercover NYC is the ONLY way to go to cover speakers.  They're are set-it-and-forget-it good.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.