ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen-Heath SQ-7 announced  (Read 7461 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Allen-Heath SQ-7 announced
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »

This was mentioned in the big SQ thread, but here's a bit more information:

https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/

Same capabilities, but larger surface - the SQ-7 has 33 faders, while the SQ-6 has 25 and the SQ-5 has 17.  The SQ-7 also adds 4 more rotary controls with scribble strips.  No changes to total IO capability, but there are more inputs on the SQ-7 surface.

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
Re: Allen-Heath SQ-7 announced
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 03:15:01 AM »

This was mentioned in the big SQ thread, but here's a bit more information:

https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/

Same capabilities, but larger surface - the SQ-7 has 33 faders, while the SQ-6 has 25 and the SQ-5 has 17.  The SQ-7 also adds 4 more rotary controls with scribble strips.  No changes to total IO capability, but there are more inputs on the SQ-7 surface.

Thanks for posting this.  I don't always check the SQ thread, so this is a big help.  I'm going to demo an SQ-6 on Monday.  The Allen Heath SQ series are currently at the top of my short list.  This new version with more faders may be the ticket.  I've been trying to find a release date.  No luck so far. 

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:50:39 AM »

Additionally it has more input on the surface (32 input xlr, plus 3 stereo in)

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:16:08 AM »

Additionally it has more input on the surface (32 input xlr, plus 3 stereo in)

I only see two stereo in's.  I'm not sure about three?

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:49:54 AM »

I only see two stereo in's.  I'm not sure about three?

The third one is a TRS 3.5mm "mini jack" in the upper right hand corner of the surface, above the USB port.
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »

Can you route the cue bus to outputs?  Useless as a monitor console until that feature is implemented.  Once that's done, we'll take 2, please.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Chris Eddison

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »

I'm holding off until it has mono matrix outs available for fills etc.
I'm really struggling - really need to think about upgrading my Roland M480. In particular the lack of scribble strips is starting to get in the way (in many other ways it's still a fantastic console). The problem is that I can't afford DLive and SQ just isn't quite the step up i'd hoped for. It has the scribble strips but lacks proper metering, bus flexibility (The Roland has 16 mono buses that can be ganged as stereo as required, the SQ has 12 fixed stereo mixes plus left and right - so more on paper but not as useful if they can't become mono - that tends to be all I want). The roland has 8 mono matrix outs that can be grouped as stereo, the SQ has 3 fixed stereo. SQ has 8 DCA's, the Roland has 24. The list goes on but you get my point. Aside from the scribble strips and obviously the audio quality (never been a complaint with the Roland though) I don't really gain much and in some places, lose.
If the SQ7 as the "big brother" had 64 channels and a few more buses, DCA's etc. then i'd be jumping at it, but the extra faders alone aren't quite enough.

I suspect i'll end up with an SQ7 anyway, but in some cases it'll be a real step backwards from the Roland. If only the M5000 had taken off a little more - now there was a cracking desk and they're going for a song currently. I just don't know how long i'd have support etc. for.   

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 06:47:43 PM »

I'm holding off until it has mono matrix outs available for fills etc.
I'm really struggling - really need to think about upgrading my Roland M480. In particular the lack of scribble strips is starting to get in the way (in many other ways it's still a fantastic console). The problem is that I can't afford DLive and SQ just isn't quite the step up i'd hoped for. It has the scribble strips but lacks proper metering, bus flexibility (The Roland has 16 mono buses that can be ganged as stereo as required, the SQ has 12 fixed stereo mixes plus left and right - so more on paper but not as useful if they can't become mono - that tends to be all I want). The roland has 8 mono matrix outs that can be grouped as stereo, the SQ has 3 fixed stereo. SQ has 8 DCA's, the Roland has 24. The list goes on but you get my point. Aside from the scribble strips and obviously the audio quality (never been a complaint with the Roland though) I don't really gain much and in some places, lose.
If the SQ7 as the "big brother" had 64 channels and a few more buses, DCA's etc. then i'd be jumping at it, but the extra faders alone aren't quite enough.

I suspect i'll end up with an SQ7 anyway, but in some cases it'll be a real step backwards from the Roland. If only the M5000 had taken off a little more - now there was a cracking desk and they're going for a song currently. I just don't know how long i'd have support etc. for.

Thank you for so clearly articulating this. My general feelings with this desk is that they're straddling two different markets, and there are some serious inconsistencies, lack of channel meters being one. Colorable scribbles are a must-have for me, but the stereo bus issue is disappointing. One thing they finally got right is the patchable "omni" outs. Having pre-assigned hardware outputs is not helpful to me.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 08:55:32 PM »

I'm really struggling...

With the release of the SQ-7 it seems clear (at least to me) that this is really A&H's latest incarnation of their "entry-level" digital mixer.  In many ways it's really what the Qu Series should have been.  As you point out though, it's still a mix of features that straddle different markets.  I can't see the Qu Series having much of a future at this point, but what will be more interesting is where the GLD Series ends up with all this.  If dLive C Class would drop by another 20% it's quite possible that it'd overtake the majority of the GLD market.  I don't see that happening though!   

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »

With the release of the SQ-7 it seems clear (at least to me) that this is really A&H's latest incarnation of their "entry-level" digital mixer.  In many ways it's really what the Qu Series should have been.  As you point out though, it's still a mix of features that straddle different markets.  I can't see the Qu Series having much of a future at this point, but what will be more interesting is where the GLD Series ends up with all this.  If dLive C Class would drop by another 20% it's quite possible that it'd overtake the majority of the GLD market.  I don't see that happening though!

That's an interesting analysis. I think even at its current price point, the C Class is very very competitive in terms of capability and capacity. But of course I wish they lowered the price, because I want to buy one :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.