ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: jbl srx 835p rookie asks for help  (Read 4574 times)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: jbl srx 835p rookie asks for help
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »

But I don't quite get why you would go to the wilderness just to blast your stereo.  Isn't peace and quiet the point?

No reason one can't do both - hike/fish/mountainbike/canoe/whatever by day, crank some tunes up in the evening sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to spend a weekend.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »

No reason one can't do both - hike/fish/mountainbike/canoe/whatever by day, crank some tunes up in the evening sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to spend a weekend.

I guess it will keep the wildlife away from him as well.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »

I guess it will keep the wildlife away from him as well.

I don't know about that. Around my club, music tends to attract a lot of cougars.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »

Unless you have a really good inverter, you will probably always find some amount of hash in the speakers power supply which will often be audible in one way or another. Usually the speakers will hum or buzz, but as you experienced, the speakers were clean, but the amps power supply was less than happy.

With the SRX's I don't think you will have too much of a problem. I believe the SRX utilizes a SMPS which should handle the hash from the inverter, but I could be wrong. A test is usually the only way to find out.

As for where to place the speakers? Usually on a stand. There is a sweet spot. The idea is to get the HF drivers at or around ear level and as close to the ground as possible to reduce bounce. The issue is that when placed close to the ground, the bass content is usually increased due to coupling. To reduce this you have to get the speaker off the ground. The height off the ground will tune the frequency at which it decouples and begins to cancel again ( as it comb filters with the reflection or floor bounce from the original sound ). If the speaker is essentially dead below 40hz and strong above 100hz, the ideal height would be where it decouples from 100hz, but is close enough that it couples at 40hz and below. This would mean that an ideal range would be right around 5' to 7' in the air. This would decouple most of the energy above about 80hz and everything below that would still have reasonable coupling to the ground. The higher the speakers are in the air, the more airy and spacious they will sound. The closer to the ground the more direct and punchy it will sound.

As to width apart? This one is simpler. As mentioned before you want to be about as far away from the speakers as they are apart from each other. As you cross the point where you are further away from the speakers as they are from each other, you begin to loose stereo imaging and the speakers start having more obvious comb filtering. The same goes for being closer than they are together. If you are closer to the speakers than they are apart, you can more easily hear the comb filtering with small movements. 

Have fun.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Glen Hansen

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 10:58:44 PM »

Unless you have a really good inverter, you will probably always find some amount of hash in the speakers power supply which will often be audible in one way or another. Usually the speakers will hum or buzz, but as you experienced, the speakers were clean, but the amps power supply was less than happy.

With the SRX's I don't think you will have too much of a problem. I believe the SRX utilizes a SMPS which should handle the hash from the inverter, but I could be wrong. A test is usually the only way to find out.

As for where to place the speakers? Usually on a stand. There is a sweet spot. The idea is to get the HF drivers at or around ear level and as close to the ground as possible to reduce bounce. The issue is that when placed close to the ground, the bass content is usually increased due to coupling. To reduce this you have to get the speaker off the ground. The height off the ground will tune the frequency at which it decouples and begins to cancel again ( as it comb filters with the reflection or floor bounce from the original sound ). If the speaker is essentially dead below 40hz and strong above 100hz, the ideal height would be where it decouples from 100hz, but is close enough that it couples at 40hz and below. This would mean that an ideal range would be right around 5' to 7' in the air. This would decouple most of the energy above about 80hz and everything below that would still have reasonable coupling to the ground. The higher the speakers are in the air, the more airy and spacious they will sound. The closer to the ground the more direct and punchy it will sound.

As to width apart? This one is simpler. As mentioned before you want to be about as far away from the speakers as they are apart from each other. As you cross the point where you are further away from the speakers as they are from each other, you begin to loose stereo imaging and the speakers start having more obvious comb filtering. The same goes for being closer than they are together. If you are closer to the speakers than they are apart, you can more easily hear the comb filtering with small movements. 

Have fun.
Wow thanks for the great response.
I will definitely research comb filtering.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »

Comb filtering is something that cannot be eliminated ( unless you go to a single source of sound ) and is just part of the game. The only real way to reduce the audible effects of it is to be 100% equidistant from each speaker and don't move. Since that is not possible ( practically speaking ) it is just easier to understand that it is happening.

The height of the speaker off the ground is probably the only real thing you can do to tune out floor bounce or coupling. Floor bounce is when the signal from the speaker literally bounces off the ground and back up at you. The bounce is a tangent of the direct sound and will arrive later in time ( out of phase ) which causes comb filtering. The frequencies and the amount of the effect relative to the listening position can be tuned by adjusting the height of the speaker. This gets us to problem #2 though. If placing the speaker directly on the ground all but eliminates floor bounce, its side effect is coupling of low frequencies. Typically all frequencies that are essentially omni directional will couple and create addition because the floor acts as an infinite baffle, halving the space, which effectively doubles the audible power. This means that energy from about 250hz and below has a 3db boost in output. This may or may not be of detriment to some. Typically, modern speakers have a fair amount of low end boost built in, giving the speaker a bigger and more desired sound. The SRX is rather linear ( flat in frequency response ), but still has a low end hump ( relative to its midband frequency response ) that will give the speaker a more DJ smile type sound when placed on the ground. This can be tuned out with a shelving filter, but this leads us to part 3 of what effects the sonic character of the speaker.

The height of the speaker off the ground will determine what frequencies will decouple. The question then is what frequencies do you want it to decouple from and how much floor bounce can you live with? The floor bounce gives the sound an airiness, or liveliness that some prefer. Much like open back headphones, it makes the speaker sound open and live with more realness. Too much of a good thing is still too much though. Some prefer a more direct and closed sound. When the speaker has less time to interact with the world around it, the sound you hear most, is the sound of the speaker. This gives the speaker a more direct and punchy sound, that is less lively and more accurate ( within reason ).

As you can see it is kind of a compromise between what you want, what you have and what you can do to get closer to where you want. The SRX is designed as it is to work basically standalone. This means you don't need crossovers or other DSP to get it to sound amazing. It has more DSP in it than most units anyway. You just need to get it up and talking with the control app or Architect software and you can tune to your hearts content.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Glen Hansen

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »

I unboxed them hours ago . They are a tight squeeze to fit in the prius. The stands will have to wait until I get a roof rack. Slight buzz when tested on inverter from the amps nothing really coming through the speakers --- crown cts were 3 to 10 time worse. Should be an interesting evening as temps will be around 99 until the sun goes down.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:16:15 PM by Glen Hansen »

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »

Glen, I have to admit that I am not certain whether you are trolling us or are just an eccentric fellow who likes listening to music really loudly out in the wilderness.  I would be very curious to see some pics or videos of your system in the wild.  Good luck and let us know how things work out!

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »

I don't know about that. Around my club, music tends to attract a lot of cougars.

;D ;D

Glen Hansen

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:52 PM »

Set up speakers about 70 ft. away maybe 40 feet apart on ground.
Everything sounding pretty good turned up the volume a bit and inverter went dead? Any other time my inverter shut off was running high amp power tool and then tripping the low battery volts alarm. Inverter was cool and fan was not running so it was probably drawing the low 1/3  of whatever 2 amps per speaker. I hooked up the eq and cut all the low end under 100 that helped a bit but still had some cut outs. My inverter is a tripp lite 1800 watt non sine over 6 years old.  Looks like I will be buying a new inverter any suggestions?

How do they sound ? Way better than I thought. Everything is well balanced bass treble etc. no real need to make any adjustments.
Theres no dead spot between the speakers unless the recording is that way. https://youtu.be/p89kAp4rzBE this was almost like there was not 2 speakers more like they did not exist, side to side full almost wrap around in front and to the sides not behind me.  These speakers do not project forward and slap you in the face with sound. The stage is in between the 2 speakers.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:27:28 PM by Glen Hansen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:52 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.