ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: jbl srx 835p rookie asks for help  (Read 4584 times)

Glen Hansen

jbl srx 835p rookie asks for help
« on: June 03, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »

North of Phoenix is the Tonto   (fools)  national forest. I have had great experiences using home type speakers and low budget pa speakers there. Classic rock with nobody around to say tun it down. Ac power source Tripp lite 1800 power inverter not a pure sine wave. Inverter will run crown cts 1200 amp into clipping no problem,but there is a buzz in the power supply heard at the amp not in speakers. My setup will consist of cd player rca connections to a dbx 1321 then xlr out to a passive xlr pre amp then 100 ft xlr to to the speakers. Power cords 50 ft 10 awg 2 25 ft 12 awg. I wanted minimum voltage drop and flexibility to position the speakers correctly. I hope for a good stereo image as the primary goal . Speaker stands are 6 ft to 10 ft crank ups. I took the plunge without a demo for the jbl srx 835p. Any advice to get the best sound there will only a few people listening. Is there a minimum distance between the speakers ? Without subs should I just skip all of remote control    eq features?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: jbl srx 835p rookie asks for help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »

North of Phoenix is the Tonto   (fools)  national forest. I have had great experiences using home type speakers and low budget pa speakers there. Classic rock with nobody around to say tun it down.

Ac power source Tripp lite 1800 power inverter not a pure sine wave.
Inverter will run crown cts 1200 amp into clipping no problem, but there is a buzz in the power supply heard at the amp not in speakers.

My setup will consist of cd player rca connections to a dbx 1321 then xlr out to a passive xlr pre amp then 100 ft xlr to to the speakers.

Power cords 50 ft 10 awg 2 25 ft 12 awg.
I wanted minimum voltage drop and flexibility to position the speakers correctly.

I hope for a good stereo image as the primary goal.

Speaker stands are 6 ft to 10 ft crank ups.

I took the plunge without a demo for the jbl srx 835p.

Any advice to get the best sound there will only a few people listening?

Is there a minimum distance between the speakers?

Without subs should I just skip all of remote control eq features?

First, welcome!

You didn't ask a question, but the inverter will probably be fine. Just calculate your energy density for 1/8 power usage on the speakers for min (worst case) run-time.

Good buy on the 835p.

60deg triangle is the preferred stereo setup for studio work. So if your people are 10ft away, then the speakers should be 10ft apart.

You don't NEED the 1321 EQ, but if you wanted to change on the fly without a mixer you could use it.

The JBL's have ethernet DSP control, that would be the best method. Though that means running more cables.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Glen Hansen

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:17:16 PM »

Power source. The prius charges its 12 volt battery from its high voltage battery . When the high volt battery needs to be charged the engine will auto start then shut off when acceptable charge is reached. Really cool.
I wish I could find a more open space than this https://youtu.be/QQdXaSuEP_A  . No sub playing in the car just pan a sonic 8 inch alinco coaxial speakers. Some of the trails have loose gravel and I do not want to get stuck. Looks like I should get the ethernet DSP control. And have a backup passive system on standby.  I cant wait to get these up and running jbl already did all the tweaking with the built in amps.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 01:10:22 AM »

What is the music?  And what is the relationship of the audience to where the speakers are.  You mention stereo image.  Is this playback of recorded music?  Unless the audience can be confined into a relatively narrow area about the same distance away from the speakers as they are spread apart, you won't get much of an image.  In live sound, people are usually spread out at least as wide as the stage is.  There are occasional debates on here on the relative merits of stereo vs. trying to get the same mix to every listening position.  You'll have to define the objective a little better.

I don't know about putting 835s way up in the air.  They're kind of meant to be basically full range boxes.  Again, it depends on the audience configuration.  Sitting, standing, in a bowl?

Glen Hansen

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »

The music will be cd classic rock pink floyd ,ELP, Sabbath, stones etc.  Im the audience my girlfriend might join me might not. I will be camping out and enjoying music. When I had cheap 15 inch 2 way speakers they sounded way better on stands compared to on the ground. The last times I listened to music outdoors torturing bang and olufson rl 60.2  I really wanted the speakers to be way higher than ground level or 4 feet off the ground on stands. As far as speaker placement I will use my past experience and experiment. Toe them in move closer together further apart etc. I might loose bass? by having them higher off the ground but bass is not my goal. Im not after felt thump to make my day.  https://youtu.be/QQdXaSuEP_A
I will update when I test these. Thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:42:43 PM by Glen Hansen »

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »

The music will be cd classic rock pink floyd ,ELP, Sabbath, stones etc.  Im the audience my girlfriend might join me might not. I will be camping out and enjoying music. When I had cheap 15 inch 2 way speakers they sounded way better on stands compared to on the ground. The last times I listened to music outdoors torturing bang and olufson rl 60.2  I really wanted the speakers to be way higher than ground level or 4 feet off the ground on stands. As far as speaker placement I will use my past experience and experiment. Toe them in move closer together further apart etc. I might loose bass? by having them higher off the ground but bass is not my goal. Im not after felt thump to make my day.  https://youtu.be/QQdXaSuEP_A
I will update when I test these. Thanks for the help.

All this just for you and maybe your girlfriend in a park camping?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »

All this just for you and maybe your girlfriend in a park camping?

Some people just want good clean loud sound  ;D
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 01:27:00 PM »

A common question here when people ask about gear is whether the OP is trying to create a business or just have a really big stereo to play with.  This is probably the first thread I've seen where the objective really is to have a big loud stereo.

For a limited audience stereo set up remains the same regardless of scale.  Spread the speakers around 2/3's the distance to the listening position.  Typically the HF would be around ear height.  Which would depend on how flat the area is.  Raising the speakers lessens early reflections off the ground and may add a sense of space, but at the cost of not having a realistic soundstage.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »

But I don't quite get why you would go to the wilderness just to blast your stereo.  Isn't peace and quiet the point?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Glen Hansen

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:41 AM »

A common question here when people ask about gear is whether the OP is trying to create a business or just have a really big stereo to play with.  This is probably the first thread I've seen where the objective really is to have a big loud stereo.
------- Ok I would equate big as a wide stereo field. With a bit of luck have a very accurate detailed stereo experience.  You guys know better than me most vocals are centered on recordings for me the wider the speakers maintaining the center vocals is  a positive for me. ---------
Give me some time to set these speakers up and I will make a video and in the video hopefully I can answer some questions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:41 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.