Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Backup for software controller

(1/5) > >>

Dave Guilford:
I’ve been using dmx software for a while now, and the newest update crashed my laptop twice now, once in the middle of a show!

I want to bring along an backup controller (not software), and keep some
Type of lightning quick change system in case it crashes again.

Suggestions?

Jeff Lelko:
Hi Dave,

What's the complexity of your system, and how consistent is it? 

If your expectations aren't terribly high and your system is consistent from show to show there are a number of self-contained playback units that might work nicely in a pinch.  If you routinely vary your rig or have a need for complex control these may not work as well.  For what it's worth I operate the other way around - hardware console for primary control and a laptop/software for backup.  Both run the same software though so in theory the changeover should be seamless, however since I mostly busk I much prefer the console.  Good luck! 

Dave Guilford:
When the software crashed, all the lights went down. Blackout in the middle of a song.  8-10 seconds before software reboots.  Feels like an hour. 

I’d envision basically an A/B switch with dmx connectors , which allows me to hit that button to a preprogrammed filler type scene that’s just running all the time. 

Something to buy me 8-10 seconds.  Possible?  Any thing weird to consider when buying a switcher like that? Or ... ??

Jeff Lelko:
There are ways to do failover-type setups, yes, but returning to my first questions if your rig isn't consistent and/or has complex control needs this becomes more difficult (expensive) to do.

What's the software and interface in question?  I'd address the problem at its source and figure out why your software keeps crashing.  Depending on the exact behavior of the interface during a crash you might be able to get away with something much less elaborate if all you need is a few seconds to reload a program.  I'd still try to figure out the software problem first though.

Dave Guilford:
I’m comfortable with what I have. Just asking if anyone has seen / knows about a device I’m asking for.

So let’s just tackle that question.  My rig is of little importance. I know my addressing and programming, so I’m not worried about whatever you think you’re getting at. 

I don’t mean to be rude, just like I’m sure you don’t mean to be unhelpful.  Let’s just stay on course. 

If anyone else has suggestions - please chime in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version