ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's festival season!  (Read 11803 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: It's festival season!
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:09 AM »

That's pretty good advice.  I played tracks at a gig a few weekends ago and had a bunch of dropouts.  I'm 99.9% sure the customer-supplied thumb drive couldn't stream the MP3s fast enough.  Which seems implausible, but God Only Knows what dollar store the drive came from.  I use that laptop to stream audio on a regular basis without issue, going from Mixxx into my X32 via USB.  Never had an issue before.

I think almost any USB thumb drive sold in the last 10 years can transfer 2 track audio data fast enough - I've yet to experience one that doesn't... but I'm using a computer and not my console as playback source.

That said, there are a number of OS system function calls, hard drive utilities, even wireless networking... that can make your computer stutter.  I disable almost everything I can and I use the USB thumb drive because it never goes to sleep, unlike the spinning platter drives.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Wes Garland

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2018, 01:10:16 AM »

Console wasn't the playback source - just using USB inputs instead of going through the analog hole.

I know what you mean about unlikelihood, but this drive actually looked like it might have been sourced more than a decade ago, LOL.   I DID double-check the kernel log, no wierd USB errors.  But files played from the harddrive and other keys work, so... (I suppose it's also possible the client encoded the files with dropouts.  Now that would be funny)

I also use that machine regularly to record and playback 32-channel audio without issues.  If it can keep up with 32 ch x 48kbps, it should be able to keep up with playing MP3s.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2018, 01:49:17 AM »

I think almost any USB thumb drive sold in the last 10 years can transfer 2 track audio data fast enough - I've yet to experience one that doesn't... but I'm using a computer and not my console as playback source.

That said, there are a number of OS system function calls, hard drive utilities, even wireless networking... that can make your computer stutter.  I disable almost everything I can and I use the USB thumb drive because it never goes to sleep, unlike the spinning platter drives.

I don't trust other peoples' USB thumb drives for playback. At all. I copy the file to the "desktop" and play it from there.

I also have all sleep settings disabled on my laptop (including the drive and screen) when it's plugged in.

(Of course, I haven't seen any problems with playing back from USB in the last 10 years, either. Then again, I haven't played back from USB in the last 10 years...)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2018, 03:39:07 AM »

For those playing along at home and who don't want to pay for Sports Sounds Pro, VLC media player has a mode to play a file and stop (it's deep in the Prefs:  Tools>Preferences>Interface>Show Settings ALL>Playlist>tick 'Play and stop').

When it comes to other people's USB drives, I scan for viruses first, then copy data to a temporary desktop folder. Had one the other day that had a trojan on it.

VLC for video playback, Foobar2000 for audio.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »

I have gone the other way - I provide HDMI/Display port cables, 1/8" plugs, and IPhone X adapters.  Everything upstream of that is the customer's problem (communicated in advance, of course). 

If I'm being hired as Media Wrangler then I'll do more (and budget more for labor and bill the client accordingly), but I have been nearly derailed a couple times from what I'm actually paid to do (sound, lights, and/or video) by trying to help solve customer machine or media file problems.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »

When it comes to other people's USB drives, I scan for viruses first, then copy data to a temporary desktop folder. Had one the other day that had a trojan on it.

VLC for video playback, Foobar2000 for audio.

Chris

My virus scanner is set to scan before opening a new drive. :)  I've found a couple of malware things on BE's "show file" thumb drives.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.