ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Def Leppard/Journey PA provider  (Read 8466 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Def Leppard/Journey PA provider
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 12:08:42 AM »

Journey has always been too loud as Neil has one of the loudest stage volumes of any guitar player.  I have worked with them a few times and basically the engineer has to bring up the band around Neil so the band is always too loud for the venue.

Explains things - although Def Leppard were easily as loud  - if not louder.... me thinks these old school guitar players all suffer from the same problem and must all be deaf.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »

Journey has always been too loud as Neil has one of the loudest stage volumes of any guitar player.  I have worked with them a few times and basically the engineer has to bring up the band around Neil so the band is always too loud for the venue.

For years AXS TV has played a Journey concert "Live from Manila" and all you can hear is Schon's guitar. I guess that explains it...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »

You haven't worked a Pat Benatar Neil Giraldo show, I take it?

Pat was on one of the early cooking shows (Mario?) and Giraldo sat in with the band, playing the commercial bumpers.  As the camera panned the audience you'd see fingers in ears and the house band grimacing.

Neil G might be the nicest guy on earth but the sonic signature of his performance mars ensemble playing and makes mixing, even in an arena, a challenge.

By far he's not the only one, though.  There are plenty of guitar-slingers that can't seem to create "my tone" without huge amounts of SPL.

I wonder if part of what they like also involves human auditory physical compression and Temporary Threshold Shift in combination with the actual sonic content of the guitar rig's output.  The human phys element would also help explain why some guitarists claim their rigs record differently than they sound live.  If nothing changes except putting the player in cans or listening via control room monitors what has changed is the player's environment, not the rig... but I digress.

The guitar is a wonderful instrument.  It can be a weapon of musical disruption or it can be a machine to kill Fascists or it can serenade your friends.  I wish it could be used in friendlier SPL ranges sometimes.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 12:34:43 PM »

The guitar is a wonderful instrument.  It can be a weapon of musical disruption or it can be a machine to kill Fascists or it can serenade your friends.  I wish it could be used in friendlier SPL ranges sometimes.

I went to a Carlos Santana concert about 2 months ago. My seats were next to FOH and when I saw the rig in the venue and said to myself "Oh boy this is going to hurt tomorrow". Best sounding concert I have been to. The FOH engineer kept levels in check and it was a great sounding mix.

I went to a Metallica concert once, LOUD is an understatement.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »

I went to a Carlos Santana concert about 2 months ago. My seats were next to FOH and when I saw the rig in the venue and said to myself "Oh boy this is going to hurt tomorrow". Best sounding concert I have been to. The FOH engineer kept levels in check and it was a great sounding mix.

I went to a Metallica concert once, LOUD is an understatement.
I know a guy who toured with Santana.  Carlos asked him to play his guitar rig at a soundcheck once.  My friend said that the Boogie rig was the loudest thing on stage that he'd ever heard and wanted to take off like crazy.

As far as modern times go, saw John Mayer in an arena.  Four 2-12 cabinets, two 100W heads and a 50W Bassman and all you could hear was the stage rig.  I don't think they had any guitar in the house.

The speakers in those Marshall stacks in the days of Hendrix and Cream were 25W apiece.  Nowadays, 150-200W per driver is easy.  Folks like Zack Wylde (who I've never seen live) have boxes full of 300W EVMs.  Capable of ridiculous stage volume.

Dave Batistig

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 07:03:01 AM »

I was sitting on Neil's side of the stage, about 40 ft out and slightly up (section 101 of PPG Paints arena) and saw Neil tell the monitor tech to TURN DOWN both his IEMs and his guitar FRFR speakers on stage.

Journey was good, but Def Leppard was on a whole other level!

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »

Neil G has actually gotten to be quite reasonable, apparently.  Did an arena show with he and Pat about a year ago and I was shocked at what wasn't coming off the stage.  I even said something to the FOH guy about it and he indicated that it had been a series of discussions and changes, but it was much better than it had been.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:03 AM »

Neil G has actually gotten to be quite reasonable, apparently.  Did an arena show with he and Pat about a year ago and I was shocked at what wasn't coming off the stage.  I even said something to the FOH guy about it and he indicated that it had been a series of discussions and changes, but it was much better than it had been.

Jeez, it only took 25 years for that "conversation"
I mixed them twice in the last century....
She's a pussycat. Him, not so much.
Always liked her music...
Guess I'll have to check out their next tour.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »

Neil G might be the nicest guy on earth ....

...or he might not be.  We provided for a PB/NG show about 15 years ago.  The main (only?) thing I remember was that Neil had a talkback mic that went to the FOH near field monitors.  During both soundcheck and the show itself, Neil repeatedly berated the FOH engineer and gave him specific level and eq instructions.  Never seen anything like it before of since.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »

...or he might not be.  We provided for a PB/NG show about 15 years ago.  The main (only?) thing I remember was that Neil had a talkback mic that went to the FOH near field monitors.  During both soundcheck and the show itself, Neil repeatedly berated the FOH engineer and gave him specific level and eq instructions.  Never seen anything like it before of since.
I've seen experienced it twice.
One show I was on FOH, and a couple of years later when I was on Monitors......
Not fun.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.