ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving rigging for fixtures?  (Read 5354 times)

Michael Dench

Moving rigging for fixtures?
« on: June 03, 2018, 01:44:07 AM »

Hello all!

Apologies straight off the bat, for any newbie mistakes. :)

I’m starting to create some new works, with each one intending to feature an original song, original choreography and original lighting design.

One thing I’d like to look into, is small automated lifts/platforms that a moving head fixture could sit on top of. As a visual representation, think of a kinetic ball sculpture with the ball controlled by DMX, except in this case, the fixtures are being moved up and down by a platform below them. I’d really like to experiment with the concept of the source of each beam changing its vertical position.

Does that make any sense? Is there any forum thread that already exists, that I should be looking at? Maybe there is a pre-existing product in a different industry, that could be reappropriated?

Thank you for any advice or direction you can offer. :)

Denchy

Michael Dench

Re: Moving rigging for fixtures?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 01:46:51 AM »

As a visual representation, think of a kinetic ball sculpture with the ball controlled by DMX, except in this case, the fixtures are being moved up and down by a platform below them. I’d really like to experiment with the concept of the source of each beam changing its vertical position.

Sorry, that should read: *the balls controlled by DMX winches*

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 02:49:19 AM »

These are your guys.  They have automation software and all the technology to turn your vision into a sustainable production.

http://www.taittowers.com/tait-products/

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael Dench

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 05:11:23 AM »

These are your guys.  They have automation software and all the technology to turn your vision into a sustainable production.

http://www.taittowers.com/tait-products/

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thank you Scott! Appreciate the recommendation. :)

Have you come across anything like a platform device I described? I noticed on the TAIT site that most of the products they supply are winch-based systems. I’d love to find something that can be set up from the floor, so it’s more portable for different temporary installations and travelling performances.

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 06:55:10 AM »

Another company you might find of interest: ALL ACCESS
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

John Fruits

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 07:21:36 AM »

Finally found this one again:
https://youtu.be/W2HCRa8JyY8
SERAPID
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »

Hi Michael, what kind of budget do you have for this, and what "level" of show are you looking to put on (bar/club/theater vs. stadium/arena)?

Michael Dench

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »

Thank you for the links and recommendation, John!

Jeff, I’m literally doing this as a passion project at the moment, self-funded so to speak. Collaborating with music producers and dancers, but self-funded to start off.

And the setting will most probably be black boxes and theatres.

What are your thoughts?

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »

Several questions:

How much weight to move?
How much vertical travel?
How fast to raise; how fast to lower?
How quiet/how much noise while moving?
Continuous adjustment vs. fixed increments?
How precise must the adjustments (trim height) be?

And finally, what is your budget?

COTS solutions might include a CO2 powered Genie materials lift, modified with a DMX controlled gas valve. 

Edit- this is the model I was thinking of: Genie GH-3.8 lift.  Rated at 300 lbs/136 kg; 12.5'/3.8 m max lift.  It may be available for rent in your area.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:20:21 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »

Jeff, I’m literally doing this as a passion project at the moment, self-funded so to speak. Collaborating with music producers and dancers, but self-funded to start off.

Thanks Michael.  The reason I ask hinges on the questions that Mark brings up.  While TAIT is one of the industry leaders in what they do, you're going to pay a professional price for it.  While that might not scare you if you're producing large shows in stadiums and arenas, they and the others mentioned above will almost certainty be beyond what your able to spend.

Which light fixtures are in question?  The logistics behind lifting a 100 pound moving head up and down are a lot different than some of those DMX-controlled pendant sculptures.  Along the lines of COTS solutions, I've seen a few DMX winches and elevators from time to time.  Keep in mind that DMX is generally considered unacceptable for primary control of anything life safety related. 

That last bit gets into another consideration.  Seeing as you're essentially cooking this as you go (nothing wrong with that), what's your experience with overhead rigging and how that applies to life safety situations?  Much will depend on what you're actually flying, but if it's anything more than a few pendants you need to think very carefully about how all this will be suspended and controlled, especially if it'll be over anyone's head.  If this is all new to you, you might want to consider truss totems with an elevator (scissor lift or similar) on the top.  That at least simplifies the rigging part substantially.  Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.