ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving rigging for fixtures?  (Read 5276 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: Moving rigging for fixtures?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »

The main safety concerns with DMX are the one way nature, and the chance of misformed or misread packets, leading to unwanted operations of the fixture. With a normal dmx fixture an unwanted flash or something won't kill you. With pyrotechnics, lasers, or moving objects it can be nasty when those fixtures start doing things on their own. So you need another form of control, with two-way traffic and packet control.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 05:22:37 PM »

One more quick detail I forgot to include...

Jeff mentioned that DMX is not necessarily the appropriate control language for this kind of task.
I am totally open to incorporating whichever control language I’d need to use in this situation! I’ll be using computers for control during the performances, but happy to look into control via hardware (maybe slaved to a computer, or however it would work) as well.

Hi Michael - Geert's response is spot-on concerning the limitations of DMX.  That said, per your input we're not dealing with situations where we need to move (literally) tons of lights and trussing over people.  So long as your lifts can't punch a light through the ceiling or cause damage/injury due to unintended/uncontrolled movement then I'd wager you could probably get away with DMX, understanding the trade-offs and potential of control bugs. 

COTS products do get expensive.  If speed isn't a huge concern here the Spiralift style of elevators might work nicely.  I'm sure there's a way to securely bolt everything together - just watch your CG if things start getting tall.  Beyond that and the products already suggested, you could really go DIY and play with mounting linear actuators or pneumatics inside of box truss.  That'll probably be cheaper, but with the major disclaimer that you're liable for whatever happens should they fail catastrophically (hence why COTS products are expensive and usually have a high factor of safety).  Good luck! 

Michael Dench

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »

Geert and Jeff, thank you for your follow-ups and clarifications!

I’ll keep you all posted on the end results of this endeavour. Hopefully, some great looks and moments can come of this all. :)

Thank you all for your guidance! Very much appreciated.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.