ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 5ghz unseen by devices.  (Read 6018 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
5ghz unseen by devices.
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »

Had a first occur last night.
I started using 5ghz exclusively a while back when wi-fi traffic increased in the area and I have had great results ever since.
The club we played last night is one we have done many times but I had a weird thing occur.
The 5ghz connection didn't show up on the device display. I tried all my iPads and the band members' iPads and phones also. I even tried my back up router but 5ghz never showed up as an option - like it didn't exist.
I had to settle with 2.4ghz and I had disconnections, delays etc.

Does this just mean that the strength wasn't adequate so it never showed up as even an option?

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: 5ghz unseen by devices.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »

Had a first occur last night.
I started using 5ghz exclusively a while back when wi-fi traffic increased in the area and I have had great results ever since.
The club we played last night is one we have done many times but I had a weird thing occur.
The 5ghz connection didn't show up on the device display. I tried all my iPads and the band members' iPads and phones also. I even tried my back up router but 5ghz never showed up as an option - like it didn't exist.
I had to settle with 2.4ghz and I had disconnections, delays etc.

Does this just mean that the strength wasn't adequate so it never showed up as even an option?

Probably something with the AP.  Does it have a 5Ghz light?

Did you login and make sure the 5Ghz option was checked and reboot?

Did you try and see if your phone could see the 5Ghz network?

Could your iPad see any 5Ghz networks?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »

Probably something with the AP.  Does it have a 5Ghz light?

Did you login and make sure the 5Ghz option was checked and reboot?

Did you try and see if your phone could see the 5Ghz network?

Could your iPad see any 5Ghz networks?

Rebooted 2 different routers - same ones I use EVERY time.
Login was correct for 5ghz selection.
Tried my phone and 4 iPads in total.
None of the devices 'saw' the 5ghz network at all at any time ( I kept checking on my phone throughout the evening to make sure).

I tried both routers today at home and the 5ghz option popped up right away for both as per usual.

One more thing that might not be related but happened at the same show....

So Chris called me on stage before the start of the evening while I was trying to take care of the router thing and told me someone else was changing his iem levels. The guys all use iPads wirelessly to control their mixes so this can happen if someone chooses the wrong mix on the iPad OR if one of them picked up the wrong iem pack ( wrong mix).
I looked at his iPad and the control faders were moving up and down on their own - then we both looked around the stage and no-one else was using their iPads. The GHOST entered my system AGAIN.

This happened once before about 2-3 years ago with the FOH controls and it was caused by a bug in the QU mixer firmware. An update solved it and it hasn't happened since - till last night ..... It was a very strange evening all round...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 01:56:46 PM »

Rebooted 2 different routers - same ones I use EVERY time.
Login was correct for 5ghz selection.
Tried my phone and 4 iPads in total.
None of the devices 'saw' the 5ghz network at all at any time ( I kept checking on my phone throughout the evening to make sure).

I tried both routers today at home and the 5ghz option popped up right away for both as per usual.

One more thing that might not be related but happened at the same show....

So Chris called me on stage before the start of the evening while I was trying to take care of the router thing and told me someone else was changing his iem levels. The guys all use iPads wirelessly to control their mixes so this can happen if someone chooses the wrong mix on the iPad OR if one of them picked up the wrong iem pack ( wrong mix).
I looked at his iPad and the control faders were moving up and down on their own - then we both looked around the stage and no-one else was using their iPads. The GHOST entered my system AGAIN.

This happened once before about 2-3 years ago with the FOH controls and it was caused by a bug in the QU mixer firmware. An update solved it and it hasn't happened since - till last night ..... It was a very strange evening all round...

That is quite odd.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 02:02:39 PM »

That is quite odd.

Yes - I thought I was on some candid camera show.
The ghostly happenings on the iPad mix went away after I rebooted the mixer so at least I didn't have to deal with that again.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »

I've been waiting for somebody to report someone else seizing wireless control of their console. This may not be that report, but it's the closest I've seen.

It seems like it's inevitable that someone using an easy to guess password or a device with poor security (looking at you, X-Air series internal wifi access point) will have a bored punter take over and help mix.

How vigorous are your passwords? Did it happen again during the show?

Anybody aware of any confirmed console hijacks?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »

I've been waiting for somebody to report someone else seizing wireless control of their console. This may not be that report, but it's the closest I've seen.

It seems like it's inevitable that someone using an easy to guess password or a device with poor security (looking at you, X-Air series internal wifi access point) will have a bored punter take over and help mix.

How vigorous are your passwords? Did it happen again during the show?

Anybody aware of any confirmed console hijacks?

My network is invisible and my password is not an easy one to crack. It stopped happening immediately once the mixer was rebooted and did not occur again all night

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »

My network is invisible and my password is not an easy one to crack. It stopped happening immediately once the mixer was rebooted and did not occur again all night
No such thing as invisible if in use. All you can do is not broadcast the ssid but lots of tools exist that can look at the traffic and see what ssid they are using.

Were any other 5gHz networks showing up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »

No such thing as invisible if in use. All you can do is not broadcast the ssid but lots of tools exist that can look at the traffic and see what ssid they are using.

Were any other 5gHz networks showing up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The wi-fi wasn't in use though because we couldn't see the 5ghz network channel on the devices and it wasn't until we gave up looking and waiting for it to display that we reverted to using the 2.4ghz channel instead.
No other 5ghz networks displayed ( that I could identify)

EDIT:  I just realized you meant 'in use' when the faders were moving on their own so disregard my first comment.

It is worth mentioning that once we were up and running on the 2.4ghz channel, my faders on FOH were not affected - nor were anyone else's mixes. It was only Chris's mix from what  we could tell so likely it was just a glitch somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:20:51 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »

Those pesky Russians.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.