ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Very decent headset mic - CHEAP.  (Read 4411 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Very decent headset mic - CHEAP.
« on: May 27, 2018, 12:37:15 PM »

I have been using a Shure SM35 headset mic for the background vocals for about 3 years and I have been happy with it for the most part ( I mix sound, run lights and sing backing harmonies from the audience). The SM35 is basically the headset version of an SM58 from what I can tell.
A few months back I picked up a cheapy mic off Amazon as back up.
This one MIC
Crazy cheap but not so nasty it would seem. I tried it last night for the first time live and everyone agreed it sounded better than the Shure. It was clearer and cut through really well retaining warmth. No more feedback than usual - I do get some feedback on the odd occasion depending on where I mix from due to being in front of the speakers. The Shure can sound a little muddy sometimes.
The only thing is I doubt it will last - cheap construction, thin cord etc. Sound wise though - excellent. The Shure is better put together.
I thought I'd share for anyone looking for headset mics on a budget.

If I could find something that sounded as good or better than the Pyle, had some quality build to it, but won't cost me an arm and a leg - I'd be good to go.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
Re: Very decent headset mic - CHEAP.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »

Hi Debbie,

> I have been using a Shure SM35 headset mic for the background vocals for about 3 years and I have been happy with it for the most part ( I mix sound, run lights and sing backing harmonies from the audience).

Are you using IEMs when you are out in the audience?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 09:51:58 PM »

Hi Debbie,

> I have been using a Shure SM35 headset mic for the background vocals for about 3 years and I have been happy with it for the most part ( I mix sound, run lights and sing backing harmonies from the audience).

Are you using IEMs when you are out in the audience?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

When I first started singing this way I tried using a wireless pack with in ear earphones but I found that it prevented me from being able to do what I considered my main job - mix the band.
I considered using over ear headphones too so I could put them on and take them off when needed but it was all too awkward to mess with - mixing on one tablet, controlling lights on another, a headset mic on my head and a wireless pack on my belt.
So in the end, I just went for it and the PA is my monitor.
It means the guys in the band have some latency to get used to and I can never hear 'more me' ( sometimes harder to pitch)... and once in a while we get a tiny bit of feedback if I am too close to the speakers but in the end it works. Probably because I sang in bands for many years and in the early days we didn't use monitors- I just had to rely on what I could from the reflections off the walls ( yeah - it was a long time ago)
So we get good results overall and it is always a talking point for members of the audience.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »

I was going to say, the Pyle stuff is about as good as it comes; without the price tag. I would invest in multiples simply because of how inexpensive they are. If one does eat it, you would at least have a backup. I own 2 and they have been kicking butt for me for about 3 years!!!! Sound amazing, and the reliability hasn't been an issue for me. A way undervalued brand for some of their stuff. Shure, Countryman and some others should take heed, you can no longer convince me that a $300+ mic is better than than this $25 gem........
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:57 PM »

I was going to say, the Pyle stuff is about as good as it comes; without the price tag. I would invest in multiples simply because of how inexpensive they are. If one does eat it, you would at least have a backup. I own 2 and they have been kicking butt for me for about 3 years!!!! Sound amazing, and the reliability hasn't been an issue for me. A way undervalued brand for some of their stuff. Shure, Countryman and some others should take heed, you can no longer convince me that a $300+ mic is better than than this $25 gem........

If I can't find something better made and sounding as good as the Pyle, I'll just pick up a couple more as spares. I only paid $17 for it!

One more thing - the TA4F connector isn't wonderful on the Pyle - it's a bit tight but it works.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:17:06 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

John Fruits

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 11:19:20 PM »

Let's see, there is the Garth Mic and the Madonna Mic and now we have the Debbie Mic.  How nice.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 11:37:52 AM »

I thought I'd share for anyone looking for headset mics on a budget.

Good to know, thanks Debbie!  I need to add some head-worn mics for "talking head"-type presentations/panels.  Although I've been burned by that brand (a long time ago), I might be tempted at that price.

Does Pyle use the terms "mini XLR" and "TA4F" interchangeably?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »

We buy the pyle theater earset-type mics for school productions.  At $25 each you can almost consider the mics disposable compared to the cost of equipping a production with Countryman.
And when running through a school's Mackie mixer and wall-mounted MI-grade speakers on either side of a proscenium in an echo-chamber Gymna-Torium, there's minimal if any tonal or GBF difference from the high-dollar mic.
Surprisingly they put up with the abuse from kids quite well and usually last multiple productions before failing or issues.

I do draw-the-line on cheap Pyle stuff when this particular beast gets carried into rehearsal by a well-meaning music teacher:
https://www.amazon.com/8-Channel-UHF-Wireless-Microphone-System/dp/B06XF5T3F7/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=51Uj8ssc65L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »

I do draw-the-line on cheap Pyle stuff when this particular beast gets carried into rehearsal by a well-meaning music teacher:
https://www.amazon.com/8-Channel-UHF-Wireless-Microphone-System/dp/B06XF5T3F7/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=51Uj8ssc65L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Pyle, Vocal Pro and the other various four and eight channel wireless systems are total crap, I would hate to guess the amount of money that churches and schools have wasted on them.

As far as I know Pyle only offers their headset and ear set mics with the Shure wired TF4 connector.

I found YAM audio headsets on Ebay that have an adjustable headband that work great for school productions for about $35 each delivered. There available with Audio Technica, Shure and Sennheiser connectors.

Keep in mind when the new Audio Technica 3000 comes out the connector on the body pack has been changed, not a smart move be AT if you ask me.

I just wanted to add that the above mentioned mics would not work on rock n roll stage or anywhere near one!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:08:17 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »

Let's see, there is the Garth Mic and the Madonna Mic and now we have the Debbie Mic.  How nice.

:)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.