ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Small format digital mixers other than / similar to Presonus 16.0.2  (Read 5066 times)

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services

Are there any other small format digital mixers that are similar in size and function to a 16.0.2?  I know about the XR16 and XR18 and also about the Ui's from Soundcraft.  I was wondering about a small format board with a control surface other than a tablet. 

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio

QSC TouchMix range comes to mind. I have a TM16 and it does the job. I usually leave it as a side-of-stage mixer and run from an iPad, but I like to know I've got the desk's screen as a backup in case the wireless connection drops.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:53:09 AM by Chris Grimshaw »
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Geert Friedhof

If you mean 19" rackmoutable:

Midas M32R
Yamaha TF1
Digico SD11
Soundcraft SiEx1
Soundcraft SiPe1
Allen&Heath QU16
Allen&Heath SQ5

To name a few.

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC

If you mean 19" rackmoutable:

Midas M32R
Yamaha TF1
Digico SD11
Soundcraft SiEx1
Soundcraft SiPe1
Allen&Heath QU16
Allen&Heath SQ5

To name a few.

No doubt those are all good choices, but I'm looking for something with a very small footprint.  The 16.0.2 is 15.5" by 16"  All of those listed are approx. the same size.  There's nothing wrong with that size.  I'm looking for something digital, with a control surface, that I can slide into a backpack.  The Presonus is even smaller than a Behringer X18.  I realize the 16.0.2 is not full digital... no moving faders.  I need something small that will give me multiple auxs with EQ on all the inputs and all the outputs.

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC

QSC TouchMix range comes to mine. I have a TM16 and it does the job. I usually leave it as a side-of-stage mixer and run from an iPad, but I like to know I've got the desk's screen as a backup in case the wireless connection drops.

Chris

I've read about the Touchmixes.  They are definitely small, which is what I'm looking for.  I need something with physical volume controls, not just a touchscreen.  I'm not sure there are any digital mixers smaller than a 16.0.2.  I'd love to see a digital Xenyx of some type.  Thanks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio

I've read about the Touchmixes.  They are definitely small, which is what I'm looking for.  I need something with physical volume controls, not just a touchscreen.  I'm not sure there are any digital mixers smaller than a 16.0.2.  I'd love to see a digital Xenyx of some type.  Thanks

Yeah, if you need physical faders on a small format desk, you're going to struggle.
Maybe the SoundKing desk as mentioned on another thread?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jon Dees

I have an x18, chromebook plus, wifi router, phone, and akai apcmini midi controller. Different combos of these items get me what I need.

You can connect the akai to the x18 with midi cables and a usb-midi breakout, which I haven't done, or connect to the phone with USB-OTG and map to mixing station pro faders. Unfortunately the chromebook plus doesn't support midi for mixing station yet. But it does have stylus input for walking around with. Or you could do an android tablet - I went into Best Buy one time and tested with an Amazon fire tablet and usb-midi seemed to work.

Or you could get an x touch and use the XCTL control with that.

Lots of options.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK

Soundking DM20
Zoom LiveTrak

Both lovely and compact, but probably too limited in channel count.

The problem you've got is that, while DSP technology has enabled a startling amount of processing and control in a small footprint and at low cost, engineering and hardware interfaces cost - especially in low production numbers.  This is why remote controlled mixers with no hardware controls have won the low end of the market - the user provides the interface, and software is developed once.  Also, to do justice to any mixer with local controls, quite a package of components is required, which puts up costs.

That said, a fader bank and a few assignable controls, with a tablet for more depth shouldn't cost too much.  But just look at the price that buring an X-Touch adds to an XR18.

The question comes back to whether you actually *need* the hardware controls or not.  A lot of us thought we did for smaller applications, but have been persuaded otherwise.  Have you tried having a play with some of the available apps to see how they feel.  I'm more than comfortable with remote control only on my XR18.

Mal Brown

I recommend you spend some time with the UI-24 software demo.  I hear you about glass vs knobs but...  one of my died in the wool foh guys who’s personal mixer is still a 16.4.2 made the jump to my uI in one gig.  He now raves about it and his 16.4.2and case is on the block... 

I pointed him typo the demo, gave him a run through on the first two acts of a small festival and he took it from there. 

You can also scale up the display from a 9”table and use a small form computer driving a touch screen HDMI so 19” to 27” depending on your pain point when moving the thing.

I run mine with iPads and also an old Sony touch screen 15.4” laptop.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Bolt

I recommend you spend some time with the UI-24 software demo.  I hear you about glass vs knobs but...  one of my died in the wool foh guys who’s personal mixer is still a 16.4.2 made the jump to my uI in one gig.  He now raves about it and his 16.4.2and case is on the block... 

I pointed him typo the demo, gave him a run through on the first two acts of a small festival and he took it from there. 

You can also scale up the display from a 9”table and use a small form computer driving a touch screen HDMI so 19” to 27” depending on your pain point when moving the thing.

I run mine with iPads and also an old Sony touch screen 15.4” laptop.
This!

I think that you would be won over in a minute with the Ui24.  You can use either an iPad or an Android tablet and it will sound much better than your old presonus (guaranteed).

The Ui24 comes with a 5 Ghz router.  You should get the android app "Network analyzer" so you can see which bands in the 5 Ghz range are best for your performance.  Generally, I have found that if you use the lower channels, you are OK since most of the routers come standard with the channel setting set to one of the higher ranges.

In this range of market, I generally only recommend the Ui24.  The XR18 is also a good piece of gear having both an iPad and Android control option, but it won't do multi-track recording, and has fewer XLR inputs than the Ui24.  The general consensus is that the Ui24 is a little better sounding mixer as well (but I think either can sound just fine).  The XR18 also only has a 2.4Ghz router, so you would have to add the cost of a decent 5Ghz router to its price to be fair.

Go surface less!  You will wonder how you ever lived without it, I promise.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Small format digital mixers other than / similar to Presonus 16.0.2
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.