ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Video demonstration addressing A/D and D/A Myths  (Read 5975 times)

Michael Lawrence

Great Video demonstration addressing A/D and D/A Myths
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »

Here

Shows:
A/D and D/A
Effects of Dither
Effects of Bit Rate
Gibbs Effect
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: Great Video demonstration addressing A/D and D/A Myths
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

Any idea what apps he is using in the video?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

Any idea what apps he is using in the video?

If you follow the links under "show more" you get to a Wikipedia page which is a transcript of the video. At the bottom of that page is this disclaimer:

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »

This is a good video. I especially liked the discussion of dither. I agree, too, that the Tektronix 2246 was the greatest (portable, general purpose) analog scope ever made -- and as with the greatest steam locomotives, piston-engine airliners, and CRTs: the pinnacle of the art right before the end  :)

My one mild objection might be that he should have mentioned that perfect reconstruction of a band-limited signal from its samples requires an ideal reconstruction filter, which is non-causal and has a (doubly) infinite impulse response and is, therefore, physically unrealizable. Any realizable reconstruction filter is an approximation and part of the art of designing D to A convertors is to minimize these imperfections.

Overall though this is an excellent introduction to digitization of audio. Bravo!

--Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 10:42:58 PM »

I think the big takeaway is that with modern equipment, the A/D to D/A converters are not a factor in the quality of sound these days. They simply do exactly as we expect them to. And like a bad mechanic blames his tools, we have no excuse but to blame ourselves for bad sound. What goes in, goes out provided we did our due diligence. If it sounds like poop, we probably let it.

I too was intrigued by the video and he did a very good job showing things. In short, we can't blame the modern converters for our shortcomings.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 11:28:00 PM »

I think the big takeaway is that with modern equipment, the A/D to D/A converters are not a factor in the quality of sound these days. They simply do exactly as we expect them to. And like a bad mechanic blames his tools, we have no excuse but to blame ourselves for bad sound. What goes in, goes out provided we did our due diligence. If it sounds like poop, we probably let it.

I too was intrigued by the video and he did a very good job showing things. In short, we can't blame the modern converters for our shortcomings.

When digital got better than cassette tapes the war was nearly won, at least for consumers.

For professional live use it's more about the UI and whatever coloration (or absence of) is present at the input; the remainder is feature set and implementation.  Yamaha, Midas, DigiCo, Avid, Soundcraft, A-H.... The pro players of scale... make consoles capable of very good sound, we just can't hide behind 6 bit chops.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »

I recall writing in my old magazine column about how good digital CDs were back in the 80s. Since then the technology has only gotten better, but people still hunt for imaginary ghosts in the machinery.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 09:52:21 PM »

For professional live use it's more about the UI

I agree 100%. All modern professional-quality gear is astoundingly transparent (unless it is designed not to be, i.e. Neve SILK). What I look for in a console has nothing to do with audio quality. It's all about the experience of using it. What will let me do the necessary operations as fast as possible, and keep my attention on stage where it belongs?

Jonah and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Console
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »

I agree 100%. All modern professional-quality gear is astoundingly transparent (unless it is designed not to be, i.e. Neve SILK). What I look for in a console has nothing to do with audio quality. It's all about the experience of using it. What will let me do the necessary operations as fast as possible, and keep my attention on stage where it belongs?

Jonah and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Console
Demo of why a digital gate reduces noise:

https://youtu.be/sIgtZ4HUJ00

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.