ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen and Heath SQ and Dlive Audio  (Read 5318 times)

John Roesli

• Solution Logix Inc.
Allen and Heath SQ and Dlive Audio
« on: May 23, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »

Hello all,
Looking at upgrading mixer from Si Expression to something...better.  Not so much channel count, but more in fidelity.  I do a number of local shows with local
bands and festivals in small to medium venues (50 - 500 people) and occasionally a bit larger shows (800 - 1200). The Si has served me well, but its time to move up.  Have been
considering several options with a budget in the 6 - 10K range that include the SQ line with DX stage boxes, a Dlive using laptop/ipad to control, Midas
Pro 1 or 2, Digico S21 with analogue snake, and even going Waves LV1 option.  I'm a bit apprehensive to go total touch screen/computer control, but
maybe it's time.  Appreciate anyones thoughts, comments or feedback.  I am especially interested in the sonic differences between the SQ series and the
Dlive since they both use the same FPGA chip.  So really would like to hear from anyone that's worked with both. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Allen and Heath SQ and Dlive Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »

What do your clients perceive to be sonic shortcomings of the Si?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »

Hi John,

I currently own neither board but have demo'd both head-to-head and am planning to purchase a dLive system later this year.

Tim brings up a good point - what (if any) cares do your clients have and what are your needs that drive the purchase?  In my case, my average client couldn't care less what I use as a mixer so long as the system works.  I play mostly corporate and municipal events.  What drives me to a dLive is the sheer flexibility and modular configuration of the system.  One day I might be mixing a single mic and media player, yet the next day I might have over two dozen inputs scattered across a stage.  With dLive you can essentially get three products in one, and when you add up the cost of that capability it justifies the purchase price, at least for my company.  If I didn't need such flexibility the SQ Series was quite impressive, especially for the price.

Both mixers were demo'd through a QSC KLA system in a private setting.  I didn't notice any sonic difference between the boards.  Hope this helps!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »

What about reliability for the show. Will it be ok if wifi takes down your mixer (tablet) mid show?

I would think that if you are upping your game, you must maintain at least your current reliable surface and wires (or fiber) to the stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »

Perhaps you need to separate your (possible) GAS from what your business really needs?

What, specifically, is lacking now that needs some upgrade?

Personally, i would love to trade my GLDs for a dLive but the numbers for me don’t justify it. Instead, i traded my 01v96 Yamaha for an SQ-5 which can use the GLD stage boxes and doesn’t need USB wireless for remote control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Roesli

• Solution Logix Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:54 PM »

You all are spot on.  Clients, not so much, other than an occasional look of...oh a Soundcraft Si...how nice., but wow those Danley's. Have to admit, I can't say I've lost a gig because of the mixer. 
So it is a bit of the GAS along with just knowing I can provide better.  I've had a chance to listen close to some other consoles and various "plug-ins" and the Si, as reliable as it's
been, just can't get there.  Also running 4 years without a backup I have been very fortunate, but can't help thinking that day is coming.  Probably most economical would be to get one of the
Impact consoles or another Si, either would work with my current stagebox, but not sure that's a good investment.  Like others I'm also not to keen on depending on wireless networking, although
many seem to be doing it these days.  Thanks all for the input.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:20:52 PM »

You all are spot on.  Clients, not so much, other than an occasional look of...oh a Soundcraft Si...how nice., but wow those Danley's. Have to admit, I can't say I've lost a gig because of the mixer. 
So it is a bit of the GAS along with just knowing I can provide better.  I've had a chance to listen close to some other consoles and various "plug-ins" and the Si, as reliable as it's
been, just can't get there.  Also running 4 years without a backup I have been very fortunate, but can't help thinking that day is coming.  Probably most economical would be to get one of the
Impact consoles or another Si, either would work with my current stagebox, but not sure that's a good investment.  Like others I'm also not to keen on depending on wireless networking, although
many seem to be doing it these days.  Thanks all for the input.

Hi John-

A couple of reasons behind my questions - from a commercial standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money that doesn't buy you more opportunity; and you can buy lots of "different" but diff isn't necessarily better.

A couple of years ago I posted a shot of FOH in one of our venues.  DigiCo SD-something for headline act, our SC-48 for the direct support and the band's X32 for the opener.  The best sounding music to come out of the PA that night was the mix from the X32.

I'm not saying that to pimp the Berry product but to note that the limitations on audio quality that night did not appear to rest with the consoles.  YMMV.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 03:12:23 AM »

Last week, I went to an Allen and Heath DLive training session In London.

The DLive is very impressive - but I doubt that I will ever be behind one!

They did have an SQ5 and an SQ6 there and I was very impressed.  I spent a lot of time playing with the SQ6 (24 channel version). It would definitely do everything I could ever need and more.  If I was in the market for a mixer at this level, it would be at the top of my list.

Steve.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:08:36 AM »

Reorder the following list of priorities to suit your circumstances:

Make some money
Do some gigs
Enjoy the shopping

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »

I have an Si3 and have also had the GAS itch arise every so often. I really want a Digico S31 or take a better look at the A&H SQ6. Then reality kicks in and I lose my GAS.
My Si3 is paid for, I don't have to meet riders and when "guest" engineers will be working with the gear they know ahead of time and not 1 person has turned the Si3 away.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.