ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New corporate mission statement  (Read 9656 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: New corporate mission statement
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »

"Bespoke" sounds like code for more expensive (one-off specialized service).

If that doesn't scare off bargain minded customers sounds like a good plan.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 02:23:36 PM »

"Bespoke" sounds like code for more expensive (one-off specialized service).

If that doesn't scare off bargain minded customers sounds like a good plan.

JR

It's funny you mention that.  At a recent birthday party we show up and our friends from Vincent lighting are already at the venue, with pop and drape and some wash lighting.  Vincent is expensive, almost absurdly so but they are all over the place.

Anyway, I ask the wedding planner why she didn't take our quote for pipe and drape and lights.  Her answer "your quote was too inexpensive compared to Vincent,  I didn't think you knew what you were doing, besides sound guys lights never work".  That was the hardest smile and thank you I had to do in a while. 

That event was one of the catalysts of this change. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 02:35:21 PM »

It's funny you mention that.  At a recent birthday party we show up and our friends from Vincent lighting are already at the venue, with pop and drape and some wash lighting.  Vincent is expensive, almost absurdly so but they are all over the place.

Anyway, I ask the wedding planner why she didn't take our quote for pipe and drape and lights.  Her answer "your quote was too inexpensive compared to Vincent,  I didn't think you knew what you were doing, besides sound guys lights never work".  That was the hardest smile and thank you I had to do in a while. 

That event was one of the catalysts of this change.

Next time offer 2 quotes.  One that offer "sound guy lights" and a 2nd that offers "high end pro lighting".  Of course, you bring the same lights for either.  ;D

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 03:35:00 PM »

All of this boils down to one requirement: having the conversation with the client. The wedding planner needs a sit-down. "Hi, here's what we do. Here's pictures of what we've done. We can save your client money by including your lighting or P&D on the same truck as audio, and just send an extra hand or two to work on that."

I've been facing this challenge in the local business community- I do lots of Chamber networking events, but it's like, if I talk only about small stuff, people think I am a DJ and we end up not talking about A/V services for their upcoming fundraising dinner. If I only talk about large stuff (festivals, concerts, Furry Conventions, etc) then they think we're too large for their event, and/or they won't be able to afford us.

It's all about the communication and education, but it's still a very fine line.

*goes to load the truck for ANOTHER freakin' Furry Convention*
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 04:12:08 PM »

I wouldn't use bespoke. It is akin to skunkworks if you ask me. Also bespoke is more related to clothing in its origin and has only evolved into product customization.  It is more a statement used to describe a thing that was custom made / fitted for something unique or non standard.

While sound support is pretty much " custom " we are not exactly designing a PA system that is specifically fitted for a particular venue. We do a walk through and are told that they want a world class PA, but we don't want to see it, oh and you have to set it up in the bushes and the subs have to be hidden behind the band and you can't have the mixer anywhere near another living soul....... We adapt more than create a bespoke service.

Adaptive and comprehensive sound support solutions for your special event.............. is something that rounds it all out.

I have two sayings that I use: Truly professional sound support services & Sound that exceeds expectations.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »

I wouldn't use bespoke. It is akin to skunkworks if you ask me. Also bespoke is more related to clothing in its origin and has only evolved into product customization.  It is more a statement used to describe a thing that was custom made / fitted for something unique or non standard.

While sound support is pretty much " custom " we are not exactly designing a PA system that is specifically fitted for a particular venue. We do a walk through and are told that they want a world class PA, but we don't want to see it, oh and you have to set it up in the bushes and the subs have to be hidden behind the band and you can't have the mixer anywhere near another living soul....... We adapt more than create a bespoke service.

Adaptive and comprehensive sound support solutions for your special event.............. is something that rounds it all out.

I have two sayings that I use: Truly professional sound support services & Sound that exceeds expectations.

It's not the sound service it's the whole package.  The lighting design, projection, drapery, staging etc. do create a custom one of a kind event to the clients spec.  (Taking the other side to get more feedback).

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »

It's not the sound service it's the whole package.  The lighting design, projection, drapery, staging etc. do create a custom one of a kind event to the clients spec.  (Taking the other side to get more feedback).

"Your concept is our creation."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »

If high end weddings are the target I see no problem with "bespoke".  The folks who can afford to do it right have been marketed to with that term from watches to auto service.

It's like "Dress like the boss".  Use the language of the clients, not the workers.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »

If high end weddings are the target I see no problem with "bespoke".  The folks who can afford to do it right have been marketed to with that term from watches to auto service.

It's like "Dress like the boss".  Use the language of the clients, not the workers.

Yep, this was sent to me and it sums it up.

I don't like pretentious but the AV side clients are pretentious.

Check out this link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/fashion/mens-style/bespoke-word-meaning-usage-language.html

That's why I like having the two divisions Pro Show Audio will take care of all the rentals and hard production.  Ghost AV is the boutique corporate shop. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/fashion/mens-style/bespoke-word-meaning-usage-language.html

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »

It's still not bespoke though. Bespoke is taking something that is not standard and customizing it to fit a very specific person, place or thing.

Staging is 4' X 8' boards put together, drapery is 13' X 16' panels of drape suspended on poles, projection screens are standard sizes unless you actually do make your own screen and do projection mapping. Lighting design, don't get me started :) you take a light and point it in a direction..... make the colors look pretty and call it a day.

A bespoke show would be where you have to make a custom stage deck that has non standard shapes, create a projection screen out of materials and framing that will require unique ways to erect it and image mapping from perhaps multiple projectors, the drapes would have to be hand tucked and tacked to some backing board, and lighting where, wait it's just lights, you take a light and point it in a direction and make the colors look pretty :) I tease, I tease. Sound again is not really bespoke, I can bet that by the time all this other stuff is done, you won't be able to put the speakers where you want them ( and not be in the way of projection and lighting ), subs will be behind the stage and it is still the same speaker you use all the time ( I.E. not bespoke ).

Perhaps I look at the terminology to literal? Bespoke to me and based upon definition means custom made for specific application. A tailored suite, a one off watch made to my demands, a racing car seat made to fit my body shape and profile are bespoke. Bespoke is a tangible item that is unlike any other. Using that wording you could argue that a production could also then be bespoke, but you can also say that production is very much step and repeat. You have sound, lights, decor, staging and execution, they are put together differently every time, but only because the dimensions, placement and constraints dictate it, not simply because the end client says I must have a show unlike any other you have done. The rules dictate certain things be a certain way, the look may change, but the processes that get it there do not.

Synonyms of bespoke don't really help either. Here are some examples of synonyms:

betoken · denote · display · engage · evidence · evince · exhibit · foretell · imply · indicate · prearrange · predict · proclaim · reveal · show · signify · solicit · suggest

If you really want to sell on the Bespoke idea, run with: We are the Haute Couture of event production

EDIT: I just want to say I was poking fun at lighting, it is a team sport and I love the LD's I work with!!!! Don't blind me please :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:18:44 PM by Luke Geis »
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.