ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Attn Tim M- new Crack the Sky  (Read 3791 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Attn Tim M- new Crack the Sky
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »

My website does NOT track users. The closest I get to ANY sort of scripting is Google Analytics and a couple of PHP based forms for contact/quote requests. Not only do I not display content based on previous actions, I don't even know how to code that.... lol.

I keep getting people telling me that I NEED FACEBOOK TO MARKET MY BUSINESS! First of all, no, no, no I don't - I believe in building relationships the old fashioned way (is that why I am single still?!?). Second, this business is way too much word-of-mouth- whereas a nice web presence is amusing, it's not a make-it-or-break-it situation for the business.

Re security, It's amazing how many people scream about "OMG Facebook SOLD MY DATA!" and don't realise that the company offering you a FREE service needs to make money somewhere...

/topic swerve and rant

I block Google Analytics.  I block EVERY SCRIPT not needed to display the content I need.

Auto-play videos are my current rant topic.  Local TV stations, "newspapers", etc.  I don't want stuff to just start playing and there's no way to change that attribute so I block them.

I'm good with the 'diminished experience' but I'm sure the youngers would call me a Luddite.

Unfortunately, I think the newer and coming generations of humans have a very different view of privacy. 
Their lives are online for all to see, so what's the big deal about yet more info out there.
Personally, I hate it.  I'm not a Luddite (been using computers since XTs, my mom had an Osborne), I'm just anti-social.
The other day I was looking at sun shades, and now all the pop up ads are about sun shades.  !@?$$#@!

The only reason the youngers are comfortable is because they started out sharing stuff that they should not have, long before anyone realized that EVERY SINGLE WORD they entered was being captured and analyzed.  The WWW should have come with a Miranda-type warning:  "EVERYTHING you enter and everything you look at will be used to commercialize you as a person."

I was a proud owner of an Osborne. The 5 inch screen, dual 360kB floppy drives... 8 bit CP/M OS.... and the most important part - the bundled WordStar.  About the time I got really fluent with it, MS introduced Word and WS was a goner.

Edit ps:  If only Ozzy wass related to Adam Osborne...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:44:43 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 04:28:42 PM »

I've never heard of them so I thought I'd give them a listen on Youtube. I'm really liking them. Very different and progressive. I'll have to look at their wikipedia page when I get a chance.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »

There used to be a maxim that said "Never put anything in writing that you don't want to see on the front page of the newspaper".  The modern version of that is never do anything on line with your computer that you don't want to have go viral on any social media.  For that matter, with the proliferation of cameras, never do anything in public that you don't want to see everywhere.
Since I lead a pretty boring life, I've no problem with social media and what I put on-line.  If a potential employer doesn't like that fact that I play music or a few sports, then that's their loss.
Just finished my annual user data security training refresher and wish I could talk about it.  As we seem to have the worst public relations department in the world.  When I heard the response to the hatchet job on 60 Minutes I screamed.  To let them conflate and twist things the way they did and not try to set the record straight is personally infuriating.  But publicly co-opting the official channels is a terminatable offense.  So I have to bite my on-line tongue and hope that some day they clear things up.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »

I've never heard of them so I thought I'd give them a listen on Youtube. I'm really liking them. Very different and progressive. I'll have to look at their wikipedia page when I get a chance.
John
The first 3 LPs are must-have, in my opinion.  Their (first) replacement bass player Carey Ziegler is also a total monster -- check out this track, as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB0G4gxSTxw

Last I looked, the Wiki page was a bit opinionated, IMO.
Colorado Springs, CO

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »

Auto-play videos are my current rant topic.  Local TV stations, "newspapers", etc.  I don't want stuff to just start playing and there's no way to change that attribute so I block them.

In Firefox put about:config in the address bar and you're taken to a magical land where you can completely screw up your browser. Though when you're there you can tell Firefox to never ever auto-play a video. I've done that at my shop where the ADSL internet connection I'm stuck with reminds me of the days of my magical 14.4 modem.

(Other browsers may allow this also, but I don't have them and don't know.)
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 06:09:00 PM »

John
The first 3 LPs are must-have, in my opinion.  Their (first) replacement bass player Carey Ziegler is also a total monster -- check out this track, as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB0G4gxSTxw

Live Sky is a great introduction to their music, IMHO, but lacks John Palumbo's vocals as he did not wish to tour (among other things).

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »

This is good news. I've been a Crack The Sky fan for decades. I turned my entire college dorm floor on to them back in 1980. The classic rock cover band (actually our Tuesday night scotch drinking club) I play in, covers a couple of their songs. We play "stump the audience" with them. One of the most creative and original bands that should have gotten huge and didn't.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »

John

I'm listening to a Rare Remaster Edition. Very nice! A unique sound. I'm hearing a bit of a Jethro Tull influence and other 70's prog bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bx0jR4rdn8

That track you posted is kinda funky for a white band.

John Fruits

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »

That track you posted is kinda funky for a white band.
I always found it ironic that Sly and The Family Stone had a white rhythm section.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »

I always found it ironic that Sly and The Family Stone had a white rhythm section.

I don't think Larry Graham was white!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.