ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ZLX12-P...Turbosound iP2000...Now What?  (Read 4375 times)

Martin West

Re: EV ZLX12-P...Turbosound iP2000...Now What?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »

I don't know if it will fit in your Civic with your other stuff and it weighs more, but the Yammy DXS12 is part of the "Family" and is pretty much guaranteed to happily work and play nice with the DXR..

The thread about "HP filter in tops or bottoms" elsewhere in the Lounge demonstrates the potential difficulties with mixing brands.  Oh, and the price meets your objective.

That all said, I suggest you audition any potential purchase items or buy from a dealer with generous return privileges.

I'll check that thread out! Thanks!

Well, I hate to say this but I just went to GC to lift some subs with comparable weights and I think the DXS12s will be out of the question. Granted I tried lifting an 18" sub but it was still 72 lbs and I wouldn't be able to load and unload without a big struggle. 63lbs is a little more manageable but still would prefer closer to 50. Let's take the DXS off the table for now.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 09:24:57 PM »

I figured the DSX might be a big large for your purposes.  I played with a ZXA1 but went with the Yammy as the higher output is more versatile for me.  I just recently stuffed it and a pair of DSR112s in my Mazda 3 hatch along with a Deluxe Reverb, guitar and small board.  Makes a great set up for moderate sized things.  Of course it won't keep up with the DSRs, you need four 18s for that.  But it's a useful set up.  A pair of DXR10s would be ideal over it.
My recommendation would be the DXRs over a ZXA1.  And then you can buy a 2nd ZXA1 later for when you need more grunt.  For a large backyard thing or whatever.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 04:14:40 AM »

Have a look for 2x10" subwoofers. I think the form-factor will be better for you, and they'll have more cone area than a single 12". The first one I found (Martin X210) is 20kg, but that's a passive cabinet.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Martin West

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions!

Okay check it out. Here's a new updated list, getting rid of the Altos and the Turbosound. I ranked them in order of frequency range and output. In rethinking things a bit, I don't want to have to replace a sub in year because it wasn't doing the job I need. So staying under $1000 and within the weight limits these are the subs I'm considering. Anyone heard anything about the Samson 15"? Specs seem to be pretty good and decent price. I know RCF is a quality brand. In a sub, is a larger frequency range more desirable? I will be using a DXR10" top.

Samson Auro D1500
$599, 53lbs (+/-3) 40hz-200hz, SPL 131

RCF Sub 705-AS II
$750, 51lbs, (+/-3) 40hz-120hz, SPL 131

RCF 702-AS II
$650, 40lbs, (+/-3) 40hz-120hz, SPL 129

Samson Auro D1200
$500, 42lbs (+/-3) 45hz-200hz, SPL 126

EV ELX200-12SP
$550, 42lbs, (+/-3) 49hz-135hz, SPL 129

EV ZXA1
$500, 46lbs, (+/-3) 53hz-93hz, SPL 126

**UPDATE**
I just went to GC again to listen to something comparable to the first three choices. I tried out the Bose F1, which is (-3 dB): 40 Hz - 250 Hz, SPL 130. WOW! Although I turned it up 3/4 of the way up (still no clipping), this thing goes low! I definitely don't need anything more than something like this. And even this might be slightly overkill, but would be good to have for any future needs.

That said I think that narrows it down to the two RCFs. I read on another forum that the Samson doesn't have a cooling fan and gets overheated. I also just measured my car doors and I think the RCA 705 might be a tight squeeze into my backseat. That leaves the 702. Will the 2 decibels be a noticeable difference between the 702 and 705? Considering the 10lb weight difference and the $150 savings the 702 is looking pretty darn good.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:44:09 PM by Martin West »

Martin West

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »

Okay, so I'm reporting back on the single DXR10 with the RCF 702 subwoofer. I hosted an open mic last night and used this set-up along with a Zedi10 (which should've been a Zedi10fx - ordered the wrong one).

The Yamaha DXR10 kicks ass!! The sound was crystal clear and one was enough to fill the entire bar. I played my electric guitar through it and I am extremely happy with the sound. Acoustic was also played through it as well as vocals, banjo, fiddle and bass foot pedal. They all sounded great and I received many compliments on the sound.

I'm also impressed with the RCF 702 subwoofer. For it's size and weight I really don't think you can beat this for a 12" sub. It does a great job at filling out the sound and you can feel the bass when turned up past noon. I tried out the Bose F1 subwoofer at Guitar Center, which has pretty much the same specs, and I can say the Bose F1 is louder and you can really feel it in your chest but it does have two 10" drivers as the RCF has one 12" driver.

For my purposes, the RCF 702 is perfect. If my main gig was being a DJ that played a lot of bass heavy music I think I'd go for the Bose F1. I would be curious how it stacks up to the RCF 705 AS II sub. If you're a solo act or small band who's playing bars and small clubs, the RCF 702 is a great sub. This just fits in my dinky civic, so anything larger would be a hassle. If you're playing large clubs or outside gigs or are a large band I might go for a 15" sub.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »

Okay, so I'm reporting back on the single DXR10 with the RCF 702 subwoofer.
 This just fits in my dinky civic, so anything larger would be a hassle. If you're playing large clubs or outside gigs or are a large band I might go for a couple of Double 18" subs.

OK, fixed that for you...
Just sayin....
a single 15 outdoors is a paperweight, not a Sub.
** There are a few -not cheap- exceptions.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »

... I'm also impressed with the RCF 702 subwoofer. For it's size and weight I really don't think you can beat this for a 12" sub. It does a great job at filling out the sound and you can feel the bass when turned up past noon. ...

Don't be afraid of cranking the gain up on the RCF sub to better match the level of your tops. RCF typically has lower sensitivity inputs than many other makers, and it is not unusual to have the the knob on the RCF at a much higher setting than the knob on another brand you may be using it with.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.