ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ZLX12-P...Turbosound iP2000...Now What?  (Read 4376 times)

Martin West

EV ZLX12-P...Turbosound iP2000...Now What?
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:31:28 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm wondering if I can get some advice on a live PA set-up.

Here was my previous set-up (I'm a solo artist):

- two EV ZLX-12P speakers on stands
- Mackie ProFX12 mixer
- SM58 for vocals
- acoustic guitar with DI
- analog bass stomp box (percussion)
- analog snare stomp box (percussion)

I haven't had any complaints on this system except for the weight and basically just the hassle of setting up and tearing down by myself. At times I also wished I had a bit more low end for my bass stompbox.

So I started looking at the tower systems, and after a bunch of research I decided to go with the Turbosound iP2000. In the meantime I sold the EVs.

To make a long story short, after testing it out, I don't think the iP2000 is going to cut it for me. I think I was fooling myself into thinking I could replace two speakers with one. Or maybe the iP2000 really are just bad quality. Needless to say I could use some advice on what speakers to get.

I'm changing up my solo act a bit and am looking to do something similar to Jack Garret
https://youtu.be/Q2GTddbSe4Y
or Tash Sultana
https://youtu.be/aCyBv00pvbw

In order to do something like this I would probably need a sub. The types of venues I play (where I need a PA) are breweries, wineries, bars, restaurants. The crowd is usually never over 100-150.

Did I make a mistake in getting rid of my EV ZLX-12P speakers? My top budget is $1000, maybe $1200 and and have it be as lightweight as possible. I've read the Yamaha DXR10 are great but that'll put me at the top of my budget and still no sub. Anyways, thanks for suffering through the long post. Any advice would be great! Thanks everyone!

Paul G. OBrien

Re: EV ZLX12-P...Turbosound iP2000...Now What?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »

Did I make a mistake in getting rid of my EV ZLX-12P speakers? My top budget is $1000, maybe $1200 and and have it be as lightweight as possible. I've read the Yamaha DXR10 are great but that'll put me at the top of my budget and still no sub.

What about an EV ELX200-10p over an ELX200 12SP sub or the same combo from Yamaha? If you have to make a sacrifice based on budget then sacrifice stereo before subbage.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »

I've found the ZLXs to be kind of disco scooped.  If you want thump, you were correct that you need something on the floor.  There are lots of 12" subs from the Alto to EV to the heavier and louder Yamaha.  Which if you're concerned with weight I would stick with the EV.  Then something like Yamaha DXR10s for the mains which are smaller, lighter, louder and much better sounding than the ZLXs.

This is all based on experiences with these boxes and how they compare to each other.  If you're pressed for budget, maybe get the Alto sub and move up later.  Either a 2nd one or a trade up.  Or wait, play a few gigs with the DXRs, save up, and buy once/cry once.

Check with Mike Pyle here on the DXRs.  With the new series coming out there are rebates and such on the older models.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »

I use 2-iQ8 and an iQ15b for open mics. It's super small and sounds very good. The whole rig firm in a Rick-n-Roller including a small bass rig and mixer. It's over your budget though. Check with Mike Pyle for pricing

Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
[email protected]

Martin West

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think I'm leaning towards the DXR10 with a sub. Will just one speaker be adequate until I save up to buy another?

The other thing I'm considering is two DBR10s with a sub. Any thoughts on those?

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »

I've found the ZLXs to be kind of disco scooped.  If you want thump, you were correct that you need something on the floor.  There are lots of 12" subs from the Alto to EV to the heavier and louder Yamaha.  Which if you're concerned with weight I would stick with the EV.  Then something like Yamaha DXR10s for the mains which are smaller, lighter, louder and much better sounding than the ZLXs.

This is all based on experiences with these boxes and how they compare to each other.  If you're pressed for budget, maybe get the Alto sub and move up later.  Either a 2nd one or a trade up.  Or wait, play a few gigs with the DXRs, save up, and buy once/cry once.

Check with Mike Pyle here on the DXRs.  With the new series coming out there are rebates and such on the older models.
If you use the "Live" setting and not the "Club" setting you will get basically a flat response and not a bass boost.  The response curves are in the user manual.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:28:49 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think I'm leaning towards the DXR10 with a sub. Will just one speaker be adequate until I save up to buy another?

The other thing I'm considering is two DBR10s with a sub. Any thoughts on those?
I would use one DXR and save for a second rather than settle for the DBR.  I have one.  It's okay for the price.  I got it used and liked it better than the Eon 10.  Mainly I use it on top of a DSX12 sub for a drum monitor.  But everytime I'm setting it up I regret not getting a DXR10.  I'm kind of shying away from humping all this stuff around or I would be actively trading the DBR and my K10s in on DXR10s.

FWIW I loaned the DBR to a keyboard player who had one DXR and wanted to try stereo.  It didn't work at all for him with the two different sounds.  But did convince him to go out and put a 2nd DXR on his credit card.

Steve Garris

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »

Yes one speaker should be enough, and in fact might be better than two in a small room. A good quality 2-way speaker with a 90x60 horn should work very well. You could get the DXR115 and possibly forgo the sub. I've seen a lot of duo's in the town I live in (wine country) and those Bose sticks over a sub just don't sound good to me. Not sure if its the nature of the speaker or the operator.

Skip the low-end DBR. I would also look at the JBL PRX815.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »

I own a set of DXR15s and they do sound very nice with classic rock and other non bass exaggerated genres but they are fairly large and a bit of a bear to put up on stands and they won't produce the kind of lowend thump a proper sub does.

Martin West

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »

Yeah I think I'll go with one DXR and save up for possibly another. I'm really interested in the 10", as I read it is the best sounding with guitar. Plus I'd rather keep the weight down.

Would a 10" top and 12" sub be enough? Or should I go bigger with the sub? I'm going to need a dolly regardless, but I do have to be able to load and unload into my car (tiny 2000 civic). The sub on the Turbosound fit into my car but anything much bigger might be an issue.

So my requirements for the sub are:

- under $600
- under 80lbs (preferably closer to 50lbs)
- size needs to fit into my tiny sedan

Lol any suggestions?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.