ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody UNHAPPY with their dLive?  (Read 6334 times)

Peter Morris

Re: Anybody UNHAPPY with their dLive?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 03:45:27 AM »

I haven't used one, but I went to DLive training in London last week and was very impressed.  Especially with the processing power.  The fact that everything you could ever wish to add, insert, etc. is already there and running was most impressive.

Steve.

Just got the dLive to work with Shure's Qlxd integration - RF strength, Battery level, signal level and gain adjustment on the
Qlxd.

Aisle 6

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:39:22 AM »

A question, if I may;  Drag and Drop via tablet or the console's screen?

O.K., one more:  My experience is limited to an ill-behaving iLive installation (driving a stellar Danley system, FWIW).  With that software, there were differences between the Windows Tablet and iPad Apps.  Certain things were easier/possible to do on one, not the other.  I'd have to be hypnotized to recall an example.  That said, are the dLive apps improved?

Dave

POINT#1 - drag and drop on the console surface and the director software.

POINT#2 - The Director software can be used as an offline editor or a control surface and behaves almost the same as the surface. The app. is like most other apps.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »

Just got the dLive to work with Shure's Qlxd integration - RF strength, Battery level, signal level and gain adjustment on the
Qlxd.
But the "gain adjustment" you're showing is just the MixRack's preamp, correct?
Do you know whether if you connect a ULXD via Dante can you adjust the actual receiver output level like you can on the Yamaha?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »

Do you know whether if you connect a ULXD via Dante can you adjust the actual receiver output level like you can on the Yamaha?

Wouldn't you prefer to adjust the analog preamp gain than the Rx output gain? 

I wonder if you were to bring them in over a Dante expansion card how that screen would look.

thomas d.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 12:20:51 AM »

Wouldn't you prefer to adjust the analog preamp gain than the Rx output gain?
That wasn't what I was asking. He said "RF strength, Battery level, signal level and gain adjustment on the
Qlxd
", so I'm asking if there is actually control over the Rx gain of the Q/ULXD receiver on the dLive or not.

I wonder if you were to bring them in over a Dante expansion card how that screen would look.
This.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Peter Morris

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »

You are correct, the picture I have shown is the Mic-pre gain not the receiver's gain but you can also adjust the receiver's gain from the desk (from memory you just tap the RF info tab to access it) . The display on the receiver also changes accordingly.  The picture was a QLXD which does not use Dante. I assume if you have a Dante card fitted to the dLive you can do the same thing using Dante on the ULXD.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:37:37 AM by Peter Morris »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »

Pardon me for butting in, but...   

When you adjust the "gain" on ULXD from a Yamaha desk, you are actually adjusting the transmitter* gain just as if you were doing it from the ULXD receiver front panel.

*yes, the transmitter "gain" is adjusted from the receiver - some sort of slight of hand with decoding the digital transmission and only assigning a "gain" setting at that point.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 08:39:41 PM »

Pardon me for butting in, but...   

When you adjust the "gain" on ULXD from a Yamaha desk, you are actually adjusting the transmitter* gain just as if you were doing it from the ULXD receiver front panel.

*yes, the transmitter "gain" is adjusted from the receiver - some sort of slight of hand with decoding the digital transmission and only assigning a "gain" setting at that point.
The gain setting on the ULXD & QLXD receiver units still adjusts the output gain of the receiver, it has nothing to do with the gain structure in the transmitter itself.

I am not certain how the Mic Offset setting affects this; I’d imagine it changes the weighting of how the signal ranges between the low- and high-gain stages of the transmitter. I would think that setting it too high could cause distortion.

Shure Article
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 11:00:15 PM »

The gain setting on the ULXD & QLXD receiver units still adjusts the output gain of the receiver, it has nothing to do with the gain structure in the transmitter itself.

I am not certain how the Mic Offset setting affects this; I’d imagine it changes the weighting of how the signal ranges between the low- and high-gain stages of the transmitter. I would think that setting it too high could cause distortion.

Shure Article

The gain setting on a CL/QL with Axient Analog does change settings on the transmitter itself.  I believe you have the option to adjust receiver output as well. Isn't 2018 tech pretty slick.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Helmke

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »

The Mic Offset setting is there to make switching between handheld and beltpack transmitters work better, especially in installed (ie no regular tech to adjust things) situations. In a nutshell it allows a specific transmitter to change its gain to be different from another transmitter, so that the system can be set up with relative even volume levels between different (handheld vs. beltpack) transmitters.

I don't entirely agree with your definition of gain in ULXD, though. We could say that the output gain reflects the output of the transmitter - compared to a Shure analog system such as UHF-R, where the output gain does not affect the front panel meter, ULXD gain settings *do* affect the front panel meter. I think to some extent the ULXD transmitter gain is sort of a Shrodinger's Cat thing, where there really isn't a specific level coming from the transmitter until the receiver assigns a specific dB setting. The article you linked says there are two ranges, but the hardware itself resolves to 1dB increments.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.