ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Magnet mount flood lights  (Read 5913 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Magnet mount flood lights
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »

Anyone using LED flood lights to light up FOH and/or stage areas for load out (or load-in if early in the morning)?

I'm using a couple of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnet+mount+LED+flood+lights+car&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic5obxt5XbAhUEzVMKHeUxD8oQ_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=757#imgrc=f9LsaxPbf-3-jM:

...though, these lights are incandescent. 

When I load-out, I usually use both of these on one side of my van and trailer; they do a fair job of illuminating the area, but I'm needing more light.  They have a fairly good horizontal coverage, but are not bright enough.

The lights I'm using plug into the cigarette lighters... I'm needing the same type, but in LED.

Anyone using LED lights for something like this?  Interested in what you are using.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:48:09 PM by Bob Faulkner »

Brian Larson

Re: Magnet mount flood lights
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »

We use the Milwaukee M12 LED floodlights which have a magnet base. The high AH batteries will last about an hour on full brightness and we can throw them up anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »

We use the Milwaukee M12 LED floodlights which have a magnet base. The high AH batteries will last about an hour on full brightness and we can throw them up anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion.  I considered battery powered, but with the length of our load-out times (around 3 hours), I'm thinking 12v may still be the only choice; I prefer battery for the convenience of moving the lights around where needed, but the short duration of time (due to the battery) may be limiting.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:24:29 PM »

One of the biggest problems I've found with 12V LED "flood lights" is that they aren't flood lights. Most of them cast no larger than a 30 degree wide beam. I'd like at least a 90 degree beam.

I think they do this to make them seem brighter (and they are, within their narrow coverage area), and "reach further." I don't need my flood lights to light up 673 feet away, I only need them to light up sufficiently maybe 40 feet away at most.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »

I have one of the Milwaukee M18 rocket lights:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Lighting/Tower-Lights

I have the 2130 version which runs 4 hours at full power (2000 lumens) or 8 hours at half power on a 5Ah battery.  Goes 7' tall, great form factor.  This is the unidirectional version.  They have the 2135 that has three rotatable heads that you can aim for 360° coverage if you desire.

Milwaukee is killing it with their lighting.  Great form factor choices, great output, great CRI.  Highly recommended.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »

I have the 2130 version which runs 4 hours at full power (2000 lumens) or 8 hours at half power on a 5Ah battery.  Goes 7' tall, great form factor.  This is the unidirectional version.  They have the 2135 that has three rotatable heads that you can aim for 360° coverage if you desire.

Milwaukee is killing it with their lighting.  Great form factor choices, great output, great CRI.  Highly recommended.
Thanks Tom - I'll give them a look.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »

They aren't ideal, but I often use my Chauvet freedom par quad battery powered up lights for load out.
They are so handy and I often have them there already.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »

They aren't ideal, but I often use my Chauvet freedom par quad battery powered up lights for load out.
They are so handy and I often have them there already.
I thought about using some of my PAR-56 cans, but it doesn't sound like fun setting up that stuff just to see!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 08:48:38 PM »

Tom - these lights look good and may actually work for what we need; yep, it would be the unidirectional one.

What battery do you use?  It looks like there are a few available for that light (as well as for the charger).  Looks like as long as the battery is an M18, it shouldn't matter what amperage battery is used in the light (as well as what could be charged by the charger).

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »

I thought about using some of my PAR-56 cans, but it doesn't sound like fun setting up that stuff just to see!

It's all about the batteries.  Turn it on, aim it, done.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.