ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting gig  (Read 5064 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Interesting gig
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 03:18:28 AM »

I have been inside an anechoic chamber at Portsmouth University (UK).  After a few minutes, it gets quite unpleasant.  I wouldn't want to try to play a musical instrument in one.

Steve.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Interesting campus
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »

It is pretty damn cool being in this room, built in 1940, and preserved almost just like it was. I haven't been in with the door closed yet, but you can't hear someone speaking to you if they face away from you.

In the lobby of the rest of the campus is the historical display showing the development of the transistor which happened in these labs, one of the 4 Telstar communications satellites that were built here, 3 of which remain on earth, the 4th was launched 7/10/1962 and is still in orbit. There is also a remarkable transparent OLED video screen, and a public display of many artifacts from the history of Bell Labs.

I'm still geekin' on it.

Mac

Cue the Ventures.
Uber cool!  It looks like years of dropping stuff has blunted the subfloor elements.
If you get to close the door, close your eyes.  I've heard that it is extremely disorienting.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »

Here are some photos from our set up day. There will be 2 different shows, 1 with the 10pcs ensemble in the chamber, and a piano in the immersive room with the 64 Genelec 8040B speakers plus 2 Genelec subs. In the Wave I processor the ensemble will be placed around the piano. the audience will see the ensemble on the big screen with the piano sort of wrapped around the piano right in front of the screen, the audio will surround the piano as it appears on screen. The ensemble will be on headphones fed by Aviom mixers, the piano will be acoustic. For the 2nd show there will be two quartets of violin, clarinet, flute, and perc. The music was written for 1 quartet to be in a ring around the other. We will have 1 in the chamber appearing as a ring around the 2nd quartet in the immersive room.

After today's set up all mics and routing are checked, as well as 2 way talkback, and the console is setup with 2 scenes with different routing through the Wave I processor. Tomorrow the musicians arrive!

In the immersive room there are 3 rings of speakers, something north of 32 around the room at ear level, 10-12 around the room at ceiling height, and the same around the floor level. There are 11 behind the screen array mid, high, low in the same proportions as the room.

Mac

ps. It's about 10' from the tension grid down to the acoustic wedges on the floor.

I'm soooo envious of you right now!  What an wonderful project, in such a historically amazing place!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »

Here are some photos from our set up day. There will be 2 different shows, 1 with the 10pcs ensemble in the chamber, and a piano in the immersive room with the 64 Genelec 8040B speakers plus 2 Genelec subs. In the Wave I processor the ensemble will be placed around the piano. the audience will see the ensemble on the big screen with the piano sort of wrapped around the piano right in front of the screen, the audio will surround the piano as it appears on screen. The ensemble will be on headphones fed by Aviom mixers, the piano will be acoustic. For the 2nd show there will be two quartets of violin, clarinet, flute, and perc. The music was written for 1 quartet to be in a ring around the other. We will have 1 in the chamber appearing as a ring around the 2nd quartet in the immersive room.

After today's set up all mics and routing are checked, as well as 2 way talkback, and the console is setup with 2 scenes with different routing through the Wave I processor. Tomorrow the musicians arrive!

In the immersive room there are 3 rings of speakers, something north of 32 around the room at ear level, 10-12 around the room at ceiling height, and the same around the floor level. There are 11 behind the screen array mid, high, low in the same proportions as the room.

Mac

ps. It's about 10' from the tension grid down to the acoustic wedges on the floor.

Amazing....If you close your eyes the spirit of Claude Shannon will envelop you.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »

Cue the Ventures.
Uber cool!  It looks like years of dropping stuff has blunted the subfloor elements.
If you get to close the door, close your eyes.  I've heard that it is extremely disorienting.

Telstar the song was recorded by the Tornadoes in Joe Meek's "home" studio. After the session JM decided it was missing something and added the organ that became the signature sound of the song.

The blunt wedges in the floor are from people walking on them. Only small items will fit through the grid, but retrieving them requires walking on the wedges. There is a cubbyhole entrance to that level.

Mac

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 09:18:07 PM »

Telstar the song was recorded by the Tornadoes in Joe Meek's "home" studio. After the session JM decided it was missing something and added the organ that became the signature sound of the song.

The blunt wedges in the floor are from people walking on them. Only small items will fit through the grid, but retrieving them requires walking on the wedges. There is a cubbyhole entrance to that level.

Mac
Sheesh, I can't get anything right. :-\
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »

I have been inside an anechoic chamber at Portsmouth University (UK).  After a few minutes, it gets quite unpleasant.  I wouldn't want to try to play a musical instrument in one.

I've been in the Shure one a couple times on tours. I actually would like to try playing an instrument in there, or even taking a nap. :)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »

I've been in the Shure one a couple times on tours. I actually would like to try playing an instrument in there, or even taking a nap. :)
I doubt you'd be able to get to sleep.
We are so used to a certain amount of ambient, that if it were gone you'd be quite uncomfortable.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 03:21:03 PM »

I studied at Queens University Belfast, and they have the Sonic Laboratory there. Not quite the same but 48 speakers on 4 layers all controlled by a Studer Vista 5. Reverb time at 1khz can be changed from 0.4 seconds to 2.3 seconds.

Same situation where the “floor” is actually a metal grid suspended 4m from the actual floor. Seen a few phones meet their demise in there! But actually was a cool place to perform in, and an even cooler place to mix in!

http://www.sarc.qub.ac.uk/home/sarc/facilities/soniclab/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »

Cue the Ventures.

There are four physiological systems involved in the perception of balance:
  • The bony labyrinth of the inner ear -- pretty much everyone understands is aware of this. When the fluid in the labyrinth moves in ways that don't coincide with other senses, it gives a feeling of vertigo (dizziness).
  • Visual cues -- being able to see distances to the floor and other objects. This becomes compromised when vision is lost, even if only one eye is affected.
  • Tactile cues -- the pressure on your feet or other parts of your body. Depends on at least two contact points; with only one contact point (i.e., standing on one foot), the tactile response is compromised.
  • Hearing -- I find that many people don't realize how important hearing is for our sense of balance and orientation. We use passive echolocation without even realizing it. When external sounds echo off of walls and other things, it gives us spatial definition.

As a fun experiment, next time you're taking a shower, close your eyes and stand on one foot. You will find it very difficult to stand upright. Be prepared to catch yourself.

In order to maintain balance, we have to have at least two of the above four physiological systems in agreement. When you take a shower, the white noise of the water running in an small, enclose space nullifies hearing as an element of balance. Closing your eyes nullifies vision. Then, standing on one foot nullifies a third. With nothing else as a reference, the input from your bony labyrinth means nothing and you start to fall.

I'll bet you could repeat the same experiment in an anechoic chamber.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:18:52 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.