ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting gig  (Read 5094 times)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Re: Interesting gig
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 09:49:43 PM »

You need to have a bunch of different reverb and delay settings ready to go. Like a really large hall!
 🤣
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »

Take comfort in the fact that the grid has been there a really long time, and if something were to happen, you would have a pretty soft landing.

Marc
Or be cut to pieces because the foam got hard.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »

Or be cut to pieces because the foam got hard.

It's not foam, I think it's fiberglass.

Mac

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 06:56:09 PM »

It's not foam, I think it's fiberglass.

Mac

Ok, splinters.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »

Most small so called anechoic chambers typically aren't.  You still get the sense of a rumble from all the highs being muted but not the lows.

I expect that the Bell Labs chamber is truly anechoic.  I've been in a few 10 meter chambers recently surveying some contract manufacturer's labs.  At least the RF chambers have solid floors.  The walls are pretty much like an acoustic chamber, they just paint the pyramids with conductive paint to diffuse EM radiation, then they can have the same thing under a solid floor.  Standing on the mesh of the acoustic chambers looking down at all those pointed objects is a little unnerving.  I wonder how they're going to manage a bunch of seated musicians?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »

I wonder how they're going to manage a bunch of seated musicians?

Me too.  At 28'Wx32'Dx30'H THIS ONE seems pretty big.

Some musicians may be standing, all will have clip on mics to avoid mic stands. Talk back and Q&A speakers will be in the chamber.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »

Me too.  At 28'Wx32'Dx30'H THIS ONE seems pretty big.

Some musicians may be standing, all will have clip on mics to avoid mic stands. Talk back and Q&A speakers will be in the chamber.

Mac

This sounds like the kind of gig that generates AES papers...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »

I got an interesting gig for this coming week. It is an immersive audio experience, but it's the location that got me interested. We will be mic'ing an 8 piece orchestral ensemble inside the Bell Labs anechoic chamber. They will play with a piano in an adjoining room that has 64 Genelec speakers. The audience will be in the room with the piano. The ensemble will be processed with a Sonic Emotions Wave 1 3D processor with routing to the 64 speakers via a 64x64 MADI router from a Digico SD11. The ensemble will be on headphones with Aviom mixers.

I took the job so I could go inside the chamber.

Mac

This totally sounds like a gig i would get.  Weird, but in a good way.

Honestly, i'm a little jealous...  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 10:44:00 PM »

Here are some photos from our set up day. There will be 2 different shows, 1 with the 10pcs ensemble in the chamber, and a piano in the immersive room with the 64 Genelec 8040B speakers plus 2 Genelec subs. In the Wave I processor the ensemble will be placed around the piano. the audience will see the ensemble on the big screen with the piano sort of wrapped around the piano right in front of the screen, the audio will surround the piano as it appears on screen. The ensemble will be on headphones fed by Aviom mixers, the piano will be acoustic. For the 2nd show there will be two quartets of violin, clarinet, flute, and perc. The music was written for 1 quartet to be in a ring around the other. We will have 1 in the chamber appearing as a ring around the 2nd quartet in the immersive room.

After today's set up all mics and routing are checked, as well as 2 way talkback, and the console is setup with 2 scenes with different routing through the Wave I processor. Tomorrow the musicians arrive!

In the immersive room there are 3 rings of speakers, something north of 32 around the room at ear level, 10-12 around the room at ceiling height, and the same around the floor level. There are 11 behind the screen array mid, high, low in the same proportions as the room.

Mac

ps. It's about 10' from the tension grid down to the acoustic wedges on the floor.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:53:33 PM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Interesting campus
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »

It is pretty damn cool being in this room, built in 1940, and preserved almost just like it was. I haven't been in with the door closed yet, but you can't hear someone speaking to you if they face away from you.

In the lobby of the rest of the campus is the historical display showing the development of the transistor which happened in these labs, one of the 4 Telstar communications satellites that were built here, 3 of which remain on earth, the 4th was launched 7/10/1962 and is still in orbit. There is also a remarkable transparent OLED video screen, and a public display of many artifacts from the history of Bell Labs.

I'm still geekin' on it.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Interesting campus
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.