ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting gig  (Read 5097 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Interesting gig
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »

I got an interesting gig for this coming week. It is an immersive audio experience, but it's the location that got me interested. We will be mic'ing an 8 piece orchestral ensemble inside the Bell Labs anechoic chamber. They will play with a piano in an adjoining room that has 64 Genelec speakers. The audience will be in the room with the piano. The ensemble will be processed with a Sonic Emotions Wave 1 3D processor with routing to the 64 speakers via a 64x64 MADI router from a Digico SD11. The ensemble will be on headphones with Aviom mixers.

I took the job so I could go inside the chamber.

Mac

Lyle Williams

Re: Interesting gig
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »

Cool.  Certainly not a regular bar band gig.  Variety is the spice of life!

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »

Mac

What did you say....
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:47:46 PM »

I've been in a few anechoic chambers, mostly at my audiologist, and the sensation is not all together pleasant. I hope you don't end up going insane because of this one.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »

Spending time inside an anechoic chamber can be a little uncomfortable. The few I've been inside would be a (very) tight fit for 8 piece ensemble, if not impossible. Putting the players on cans is probably a good idea but monitoring just the chamber would be similar. Monitoring the live room would help them be more comfortable.

I guess you wouldn't call it stage wash but I could imagine some leakage between loud direct mic'd instruments if tightly spaced. Probably good enough to bounce 8 discrete instruments around to 60 odd output vectors.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »

I got an interesting gig for this coming week. It is an immersive audio experience, but it's the location that got me interested. We will be mic'ing an 8 piece orchestral ensemble inside the Bell Labs anechoic chamber. They will play with a piano in an adjoining room that has 64 Genelec speakers. The audience will be in the room with the piano. The ensemble will be processed with a Sonic Emotions Wave 1 3D processor with routing to the 64 speakers via a 64x64 MADI router from a Digico SD11. The ensemble will be on headphones with Aviom mixers.

Mac

Mac is that in Murray Hill or Whippany?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:37:40 PM »

Mac is that in Murray Hill or Whippany?

The address is in New Providence, but Murray Hill is in New Providence.

Mac

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:16:29 PM »

The address is in New Providence, but Murray Hill is in New Providence.

Mac

I grew up about 2 blocks from Bell Labs, and worked at Murray Hill when I was in high school. One of my friends had the keys to the chamber and he took me in one day.  If I recall, it is about a 60 (really 40) foot cube with about 8 (really 4.5) feet of wedges on each wall and floor and ceiling.  It was strange how hard it was to hear if someone was facing away from you.  It is definitely a cool experience, but a little odd if you are afraid of height.  You are standing on a wire rope grid, like a tennis racket, some 20 (really 15) feet in the air.  The only other place I have been like that (wire grid, not anechoic) is above one of the theaters in the Guthrie in Minneapolis, where my brother works.

Edit: (I went and looked up some facts, and my recollections were exaggerated.  The room. )

Marc
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:23:30 PM by Marc Sibilia »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 09:21:11 PM »

I grew up about 2 blocks from Bell Labs, and worked at Murray Hill when I was in high school. One of my friends had the keys to the chamber and he took me in one day.  If I recall, it is about a 60 foot cube with about 8 feet of wedges on each wall and floor and ceiling.  It was strange how hard it was to hear if someone was facing away from you.  It is definitely a cool experience, but a little odd if you are afraid of height.  You are standing on a wire rope grid, like a tennis racket, some 20 feet in the air.  The only other place I have been like that (wire grid, not anechoic) is above one of the theaters in the Guthrie in Minneapolis, where my brother works.

Marc

Yea, I'm not wild about heights, but I really want to go in there. I've been on a tension grid rigging above a stage and I was very uncomfortable, I'm hoping this is less scary.

Mac

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »

Yea, I'm not wild about heights, but I really want to go in there. I've been on a tension grid rigging above a stage and I was very uncomfortable, I'm hoping this is less scary.

Mac

Take comfort in the fact that the grid has been there a really long time, and if something were to happen, you would have a pretty soft landing.

Marc

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.