ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Recommendations  (Read 3940 times)

Jay Marr

Tripod Recommendations
« on: May 20, 2018, 09:18:31 AM »

I've been using a pair of inexpensive ProLine tripods for years.  They're aluminum (light) and pretty beat up at this point.
I also have a pair of old On Stage steel (I think, because they're really heavy) tripods in the basement that need some new hardware (stripped, but easy to repair).
So that's what's in my inventory.

The ProLine stands are fine with a set of 12" tops, but when I put my RCF NXL24s on them, they're a little flimsy/tippy.
I think I've gotten my moneys worth out of them and it's time to invest in something to make sure my gear is a safe as it can be.

So what do people recommend?

I'm a little unsure of what REALLY makes a difference in tripod stability, so if somebody has some good insight on this, I'd love to hear it.
Does the weight of the tripod help keep it stable (steel)?  Is the base diameter the biggest factor?  Do longer legs create more stability?  Do the Ultimate Stands with the legs attaching on the side of the collar make a difference?  (Their reps say it creates a wider diameter at the leg connection point, which is more stable, but I don't know if that is true or snake oil?)

One other point - I don't need the gas assist, hand crank or anything of that nature.  Putting any of my speakers on a fully extended stand is a simple task for me.  And the weight of the unit does not make my load in any easier/hard (I don't need them to be light)

Love to hear from anyone who can share some facts and recommendations.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:11:44 AM by Jay Marr »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.

Jay Marr

Re: Tripod Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »

K&M 213 is really nice.

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?info=586&xb54b1=a76c46f23aefc93f96ae098d67f8c4b8

Looks like a nice solid stand.  But not looking for anything with a gas/hand crank assist.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »

For solid basic solid speaker stands, Ultimate TS88 or K&M 214/6

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »

I have a collection of Ultimate Support TS-90s, TS-100s, Global Truss ST-132s, and assorted Odyssey stands.  For the money, the TS-90s are by far the best for general use.  The TeleLock mechanism works well and helps to keep you safe while raising the speaker (no pinched hands).  I only need the TS-100s for my 100 pound QSC mains, and even then I don't go terribly high with them.  For that I have my ST-132s (though if I had to re-buy today I'd go for a DT series stand).

From a technical standpoint, stability is determined by the center of gravity of the entire setup and it's relationship to the base of the setup.  Once the center of gravity (CG) drifts outside the area occupied by the base, you'll tip over.  Adding weight to the base such as ballast or using a heavier stand helps add stability by lowering the CG, and using a larger base to begin with adds area. 

I've wondered the same thing myself regarding the 90-degree offset of the legs on the Ultimate Support stands.  From a stability standpoint I have yet to see how that would help anything, not to mention that transposing the load through a 90-degree joint would add more stress to the assembly.     

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »

It looks like your speakers weigh around 60 lbs. I would go with Ultimate TS-99 for the wider base. But it's also taller which makes it more difficult to hump your speaker up if you're by yourself. And for the extra $20 or so I don't see ANY reason to not have the telelock feature, to me that is just a no-brainer.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »

The Ulitimate TS99BL is my favorite non-massive stand. It has a wider base spread than the TS90, and goes taller. The "L" indicates an adjustable leg, which is great outdoors on uneven ground. It is also useful on stairs, like on a small stage in a multi-use room. The extra height lets me use the 10 degree offset hole on the speakers to better direct the energy down to the audience.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »

I have an assortment of stands. My Ultimate Support TS - 110's are probably the most stable - these are gas assist but as others have mention, Ultimate Support's non gas assist versions are just as stable.
I own Hercules LS700B lighting stands which would probably be overkill for speakers for the most part but they are CRAZY stable - ain't no pushing those suckers over. I did use them one time when I needed them outside in windy conditions and they were solid. However, Hercules make a speaker stand also which I have never used but I would guess they would be built along the same lines as the lighting stand and be very reliable. If so, they might be a good fit for you.
My most stable speaker stands are my subs !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Marr

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 11:48:44 AM »

It looks like your speakers weigh around 60 lbs. I would go with Ultimate TS-99 for the wider base. But it's also taller which makes it more difficult to hump your speaker up if you're by yourself. And for the extra $20 or so I don't see ANY reason to not have the telelock feature, to me that is just a no-brainer.

These look pretty nice!  I'll have to do a quick measure against mine at the lowest setting we use them at (to make sure the lowest setting on the TS-99 is not higher than that).  There are a couple stages where I put them on the stage, and I want to confirm that I can still get these ones to go 'that low' when needed.

Another stability question.
I love the wider base, and in most cases, I have the space.
But what happens if I don't, and I need to collapse the legs a bit (let's say to the same base diameter of a standard (small) tripod)?
So now the base diameter is the same, but the connection point of the legs (on the TS-99) would be higher up the tripod. 
My physics question is - if the connection point of the legs is at a higher point, does that make it more/less stable than if the connection point is at a lower point.
I can't get my brain around how it impacts the center of gravity.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »

These look pretty nice!  I'll have to do a quick measure against mine at the lowest setting we use them at (to make sure the lowest setting on the TS-99 is not higher than that).  There are a couple stages where I put them on the stage, and I want to confirm that I can still get these ones to go 'that low' when needed.

Another stability question.
I love the wider base, and in most cases, I have the space.
But what happens if I don't, and I need to collapse the legs a bit (let's say to the same base diameter of a standard (small) tripod)?
So now the base diameter is the same, but the connection point of the legs (on the TS-99) would be higher up the tripod. 
My physics question is - if the connection point of the legs is at a higher point, does that make it more/less stable than if the connection point is at a lower point.
I can't get my brain around how it impacts the center of gravity.

Although I mentioned my subs in the last post somewhat tongue in cheek, I have actually taken 2 subs to shows when I have only needed one just to use one as a speaker stand in a reduced space. My point is that whenever I have used speakers stands with the legs collapsed it has always made me nervous. I try to always spread the legs as far as I can. Using a sub gives me stability using the least amount of real estate.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.