ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How to go hard wired XR18  (Read 17921 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: How to go hard wired XR18
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »

Debbie

This is from Apple’s support forum. There are a few solutions with links down lower

this link

Thanks Ed - but the process explained in the article and the connectors mentioned are exactly what I use and it works fine ... WITH the QU-PAC and the QU16. I just can't get it to work with the XR18.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 02:55:16 AM »

Thanks Ed - but the process explained in the article and the connectors mentioned are exactly what I use and it works fine ... WITH the QU-PAC and the QU16. I just can't get it to work with the XR18.

IIRC there was a firmware version of the XAirs that would allow operation via iPad just fine, but things like setting Mix Buses pre- or post- fader and other stuff like that (sorry, don't have a comprehensive list) were only changeable by connecting a computer to the Ethernet port.*

I also thought that you couldn't use a camera adaptor to connect an iPad to the port, computer only, but am not certain of that. Because it works on another mixer doesn't mean it'll work on the Air, alas. iPads work fine with my XR18 through an Airport Express and a switch. Didn't we talk earlier about the Express not working so well without a switch?

FWIW I also only use static IP to connect to the Air. It seems to reliably work with the Air just as it works with the X32's. The internal wireless on the XAir has essentially no security, so don't use it except in an emergency.

*I think there was a firmware update that fixed that, but haven't changed those parameters since or kept up with firmware versions after one change. It keeps working and I haven't felt the need to go looking for problems.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »

IIRC there was a firmware version of the XAirs that would allow operation via iPad just fine, but things like setting Mix Buses pre- or post- fader and other stuff like that (sorry, don't have a comprehensive list) were only changeable by connecting a computer to the Ethernet port.*

I also thought that you couldn't use a camera adaptor to connect an iPad to the port, computer only, but am not certain of that. Because it works on another mixer doesn't mean it'll work on the Air, alas. iPads work fine with my XR18 through an Airport Express and a switch. Didn't we talk earlier about the Express not working so well without a switch?

FWIW I also only use static IP to connect to the Air. It seems to reliably work with the Air just as it works with the X32's. The internal wireless on the XAir has essentially no security, so don't use it except in an emergency.

*I think there was a firmware update that fixed that, but haven't changed those parameters since or kept up with firmware versions after one change. It keeps working and I haven't felt the need to go looking for problems.

I can use my XR18 through an Airport Express without a switch when using wi-fi Dan.

It's really not that big of a deal because like I say, I use my QU-PAC as 1st choice and would only need to use the hard wired option with the XR18 if BOTH of these scenarios were to occur:
1) My QU-PAC was to go down at a show and
2) WI-FI traffic was so bad ( even using 5ghz) that I had to resort to the hardwired option to mix the show.

The types of shows I do, I've NEVER had to resort to hardwire mixing yet so as long as that remains the same and the QU-PAC keeps going strong, this will be  moot point.

I'll continue to play with this set-up in my free time utilizing all the tips here just for my own satisfaction .... thank you guys for all your help as usual......love ya - mean it!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »

Debbie check your wire.. Make sure your cable is able to cross talk in both directions.. Sometimes a normal cable wont work..

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 03:52:13 PM »

I can use my XR18 through an Airport Express without a switch when using wi-fi Dan.

That's nice to know.

With the X32 consoles, the AE alone would always work fine until it stopped working and could not be persuaded to start again. Often after an hour or two of being left alone they would start working again. With the switch it's instant work every single time, with never a stop.

Since tablet control is optional with the X32 but mandatory if you want to be wireless with the XR, the $20 switch is cheap insurance.

/derail

Good luck with your quest of getting that combination to work, and continued success with your primary console.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »

Well... it just goes to show I am dangerous around these things - I've gone and screwed something up now.

I had come to terms with the fact I couldn't get hard wired connection between my iPad and the XR18 using the camera adaptor cable, usb and hub BUT I've been playing with things to tighten up security.

I thought I'd set up a static IP address for the XR using XR air edit on my desk top. I also set a password for the internal access point in the XR which although I would never use it out of the house - I'd only use my airport express in 5ghz, I figured it was a good idea.
Well in doing so and hitting the wrong thing, it now seems my iPad does not recognize the internal access point of the XR but I can still gain access by using ethernet from my desk top or wirelessly through my airport express.
The internal access point is handy when I am editing scenes at home but now I've lost it. I don't want to have to reset the XR and lose all my settings.... aaaah jeez.

It seems I spoke too soon.... it looks like once I reset the internal access point in the XR to take the password change I did, it also took away the XR ID I had been used to using as well so I made up a different one in SSID, saved it and YAY it showed up in my iPad. bit by bit - bit by bit....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:43:13 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 08:21:43 PM »

What part of the world are you in, Debbie?  I could seriously get you running in about 5 minutes.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 10:37:03 PM »

Debbie, do you have an address list for all your network devices?

What address were you attempting to set?

What is your DHCP range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »

What part of the world are you in, Debbie?  I could seriously get you running in about 5 minutes.

I appreciate that C.R. ... I am in Raleigh NC though ....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »

Debbie, do you have an address list for all your network devices?

What address were you attempting to set?

What is your DHCP range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was attempting to set an address for the XR18. 
What  I managed to do was create a new SSID and a password for the built in access point of the XR18.  I had been using it as set from the factory (no password) because at home, which is the only time I use the built in WAP, it didn't matter about security.

Both my QU mixers have static IP addresses but that's about it I think.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.