ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to go hard wired XR18  (Read 17658 times)

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
Re: How to go hard wired XR18
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 05:03:26 PM »

I have a hazy recollection that I could not set the static ip on my XR18 from my ipad.  Ipad was either wireless to airport extreme and XR18 was wired, or wireless from ipad right next to
XR18 with static address on each (default I think).

I recall getting it to work by setting a static address on my windows laptop on the same subnet as the XR18 has when it is initialized.  See the XR18 setup for what that ip and subnet are.

After some wrestling I got the XR18 wired ip set up and connected it to a lan port on airport express and the using wifi to the ipad.  But I can also make a wired connection with the other lan port to the PC. I expect you could do same with the adapter cable to the ipad.

I had to search through the setup info on the Behringer site to get it done without going nuts too much.

Networking makes much more sense if you can digest Scott's layer cake analogy.  Then understand what subnetting does at just a high level (the math will make you nuts) and things will be clearer.

--Kevin

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 08:22:37 PM »

True but I would have thought that shouldn't make difference as the switch is powered.
Maybe that is it.....

Debbie - my wired solution for the xr18 is my touchscreen pc laptop with the Editor app (along with the Samsung android, wireless)...  It's rock solid, multi-touch and has more features than the ipad/android devices.  I've considered in the past a wired android device, but have not heard of anyone successfully implementing this setup (or the ipad). 

I use the android for its mobility, not for wired performance, although I've been mixing wirelessly almost exclusively for the last decade or so and it's been acceptable - if the wifi performance is solid.

Regards,

-Tim T

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »

Debbie - my wired solution for the xr18 is my touchscreen pc laptop with the Editor app (along with the Samsung android, wireless)...  It's rock solid, multi-touch and has more features than the ipad/android devices.  I've considered in the past a wired android device, but have not heard of anyone successfully implementing this setup (or the ipad). 

I use the android for its mobility, not for wired performance, although I've been mixing wirelessly almost exclusively for the last decade or so and it's been acceptable - if the wifi performance is solid.

Regards,

-Tim T

Yes - that is the best solution of course. However, I really do not want to take my good laptop to shows with me on top of everything else I carry. It is just one more thing that can go missing, get broken etc.
I do have an old Toshiba that has been through 2 batteries - not sure what platform it is operating on but I can check. Probably too old for the X air app.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »

So I purchased the same adaptor that Frank did - the RJ45 to lightning.
It was open box and only $25.
Tried it with the QU and - works great without power hub in line - YAY!
Tried it with the XR18 and using the work around trick ie. Plug in ethernet/ lightning cable, connect using wi-fi and then select ethernet and turn wi-fi off.... it works too - YAY!

So thank you Frank for the heads up on that little adaptor.

One other thing I have to make sure to do when using the Behringer.  When I am connected through wi-fi and I want to switch to ethernet, I have to make sure NOT to do this using the wi-fi selection button on the iPad. If I do, I believe because it momentarily disconnects the ethernet connection, it won't connect. Instead I have to turn on airport mode. I assume this allows the switch over to ethernet not to be interrupted when the wi-fi field is selected to hit the off button.
The QU doesn't care and doesn't require the 'hack'.
So now I don't have to take my little powered hub with me and I can hard wire connect to both of my mixers. It is a good day... thank you all.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »

Yes - that is the best solution of course. However, I really do not want to take my good laptop to shows with me on top of everything else I carry. It is just one more thing that can go missing, get broken etc.
I do have an old Toshiba that has been through 2 batteries - not sure what platform it is operating on but I can check. Probably too old for the X air app.....

Take your old Toshiba and install a lite version of Linux on it, such as lubuntu, and it will be rock solid and run edit no problem. It is very resource friendly software that will run on just about anything.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 09:54:06 PM »

Take your old Toshiba and install a lite version of Linux on it, such as lubuntu, and it will be rock solid and run edit no problem. It is very resource friendly software that will run on just about anything.

I'll look into that David - thanks.

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »

If you’re looking for something small, light weight and always with you, I’ve controlled my XR18 running the Linux software on a Raspberry Pi. Here is a kit that comes with almost everything you’ll need including a 7 inch touchscreen monitor. Add a mouse and you have a wired solution that can be mounted inside a case lid.

Edited to fix the link.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:20:14 PM by Ed Hall »
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.