ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How to go hard wired XR18  (Read 17651 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: How to go hard wired XR18
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »

Aren't IP addresses - static or otherwise all related to wi-fi though?
Maybe that is what I am not understanding. My problem is not with wi-fi connectivity, I never have issues connecting to the XR from my ipad using either the built in WAP or using an external router (or at least no more than I usually would) .
My problem is if I try to use my camera adaptor to hard wire using ethernet, it doesn't work.
When I connect to my QU-PAC, all I have to do is turn off wifi on my ipad, plug in the camera cable, hub and ethernet cable and it sees the QU-PAC immediately. I was expecting the same simplicity using the XR18 but I think I am missing something.
I tried to make the change in network settings on the XR app but it doesn't take.
I may never have to even use this set up because:
1) My QU-PAC is my main mixer anyway - or sometimes I  might use my QU-16 - and these both work with the hardwired set-up,
2) I have never had to resort to going hardwired at a show and this would be a last resort for me.
BUT it would be nice to be able to use both the QU-PAC and the XR18 hardwired for peace of mind.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »

When I connect to my QU-PAC, all I have to do is turn off wifi on my ipad, plug in the camera cable, hub and ethernet cable and it sees the QU-PAC immediately.

Except for the most basic level of communications, IP addresses are required for wifi AND ethernet connectivity.

I'm guessing your iPad doesn't want to release the IP address (temporarily) bound to its wifi adapter and therefore can't speak to the XR18 via ethernet.  Or, it has a different address assigned to its ethernet port.

Do you know if the XR18's ethernet port is addressed in a different range than its wifi?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »

Maybe that is what I am not understanding. My problem is not with wi-fi connectivity, I never have issues connecting to the XR from my ipad using either the built in WAP or using an external router (or at least no more than I usually would) .
My problem is if I try to use my camera adaptor to hard wire using ethernet, it doesn't work.
When I connect to my QU-PAC, all I have to do is turn off wifi on my ipad, plug in the camera cable, hub and ethernet cable and it sees the QU-PAC immediately. I was expecting the same simplicity using the XR18 but I think I am missing something.
I tried to make the change in network settings on the XR app but it doesn't take.
1) My QU-PAC is my main mixer anyway - or sometimes I  might use my QU-16 - and these both work with the hardwired set-up,
2) I have never had to resort to going hardwired at a show and this would be a last resort for me.
BUT it would be nice to be able to use both the QU-PAC and the XR18 hardwired for peace of mind.

Every device on a network must have some means of identifying itself on the network.  Wired or wireless makes no difference.  Without IP addresses your devices cannot be a part of a network.

I don't have an answer for your iThingy issue; I try to maintain a "fruit-free" existence.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLqc_4Q4ERY

You can, if you want, give the XR18 a fixed (static) IP address in the same network as what it got automagically.  I like to give the mixer a fixed address at the far end of the ip range.  For example, at my friend's club, the XR18 is assigned the address 192.168.1.200.  If you connect a wired device to the router or a wireless device, you will get an address like 192.168.1.10 or similar. 

I am leaving out some technical detail here, but this should get you running.  When running shows on my X32 Rack or my friend's XR18, I often have a wired laptop near the mixer and a wireless unit (often my Macbook Air) out front at FOH.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »

I think what confuses Debby is the QU must have some form of network discover perhaps Layer 2 (this exists under IP at the Ethernet level). 

The X-AIR has one IP stack.  The switch (confirmed today on my XR-12) switches what is called the PHY or physical layer (Layer 1).  The MAC and IP address stay the same.

Debbie.  Think of networks as a cake, protocols built on top of protocols.  IP, for us, is the top of the cake.

Layer 1 - Cabling or wireless, the physical network
Layer 2 - Ethernet, the addressing at Layer 2 is called a MAC (media access control) address.  Software can use MAC to MAC communications.  You lighting does this. 
Layer 3 - IP or Internet Protocol.  IP addresses are used to identify on the network.  All IP features, routing, multicast etc. are available to software. 

The basics always apply.  For two devices to communicate they must be on the same network (as defined by the subnet mask).  So if you are using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 that means the first three octets (numbers between the dots) have to match.  Hosts (any device with an IP address) must have a unique address in the last position. 

Even the numbering is easy once you do the math.  255 is the largest number people with 8 fingers can count to (computers always think in multiples of 8) so 2^8 = 256, 0 is a significant place so 0-255 become your usable IP's.  The first IP is reserved to identify the network and the last is used to broadcast messages to all hosts on the network so we can't use those two.  That leaves us with 254 usable IP addresses when using a 255.255.255.0 or 24 bit mask (8*3=24)

Any help?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 05:59:40 PM »

I think what confuses Debby is the QU must have some form of network discover perhaps Layer 2 (this exists under IP at the Ethernet level). 

The X-AIR has one IP stack.  The switch (confirmed today on my XR-12) switches what is called the PHY or physical layer (Layer 1).  The MAC and IP address stay the same.

Debbie.  Think of networks as a cake, protocols built on top of protocols.  IP, for us, is the top of the cake.

Layer 1 - Cabling or wireless, the physical network
Layer 2 - Ethernet, the addressing at Layer 2 is called a MAC (media access control) address.  Software can use MAC to MAC communications.  You lighting does this. 
Layer 3 - IP or Internet Protocol.  IP addresses are used to identify on the network.  All IP features, routing, multicast etc. are available to software. 

The basics always apply.  For two devices to communicate they must be on the same network (as defined by the subnet mask).  So if you are using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 that means the first three octets (numbers between the dots) have to match.  Hosts (any device with an IP address) must have a unique address in the last position. 

Even the numbering is easy once you do the math.  255 is the largest number people with 8 fingers can count to (computers always think in multiples of 8) so 2^8 = 256, 0 is a significant place so 0-255 become your usable IP's.  The first IP is reserved to identify the network and the last is used to broadcast messages to all hosts on the network so we can't use those two.  That leaves us with 254 usable IP addresses when using a 255.255.255.0 or 24 bit mask (8*3=24)

Any help?

Holy crap Scott - you are a clever sausage !!!..... This will take some reading a few times over.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »

My bad Debbie.

I thought you meant to connect to a wireless router by connecting the router to the X18 through the Ethernet connector.

In theory, you don't even need a router to connect directly between your computing device and the XR18 since most physical layers will allow point to point connections as well as connections to routers/switches.

Try to connect your PC directly to your XR18 at home.  If you can do this, then your XR18 is configured correctly.  If we get that far, we can see what is up with your iPad ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »

My bad Debbie.

I thought you meant to connect to a wireless router by connecting the router to the X18 through the Ethernet connector.

In theory, you don't even need a router to connect directly between your computing device and the XR18 since most physical layers will allow point to point connections as well as connections to routers/switches.

Try to connect your PC directly to your XR18 at home.  If you can do this, then your XR18 is configured correctly.  If we get that far, we can see what is up with your iPad ;)

No worries Scott - I don't have everything out today but I successfully connected X air edit on my Mac desk top to the XR18 when I first got the mixer - so I know that works.
I have connected the the iPad wirelessly to the XR18 through an external  router a few times successfully so all the other functions are checked off......it's just the hard wire option I need to achieve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 06:22:19 PM »

Holy crap Scott - you are a clever sausage !!!..... This will take some reading a few times over.

There are a lot of IT folks here - Bob Leonard, Rob Spence, at least 3 Scotts and a bunch of guys I can't name right away...

There is a sticky thread about networking basics over at the Classic LAB:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141876.0.html

Back when bookstores were physical things and fairly common I was looking for a "Networking for complete idiots".  The infamous, yellow "..... for Dummies" didn't teach enough beyond my existing knowledge to spend $20 on.  I ended up buying Peter Norton's Complete Guide to Networking.  In comparison, the yellow Dummies book ended at about Chapter 2 of the Norton book... It's not a readable tome - riveting only if you're an insomniac - but I learned most of what I needed to know from it.

It's dated now and there was some discussion back then about just how complete it was but it served me well.  If you see it at a used book store, buy it.

Now for your homework, young lady:  The OSI model.  It's what Scott Holtzman was referring to in his Layer Cake analogy.  A G-search was most informative (hint).  It won't immediately help fix your problem but understanding where, between Physical layer and Application layer, things might be amiss will help you in the long run.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
How to go hard wired XR18
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »

Debbie

This is from Apple’s support forum. There are a few solutions with links down lower

this link
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:21:20 PM by Ed Hall »
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

ProSoundWeb Community

How to go hard wired XR18
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.