ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing Station layer with monitor control?  (Read 4747 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Mixing Station layer with monitor control?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »

+2   
As soon as I discovered the full flexibility of customizing my workflow in MixingStation Pro I promptly sold my X32 Compact.  Then David ported MixingStation to to the QU platform and made my life easier there as well.  Open source to the rescue once again!

From reading posts by Robert Lofgren and Paul Vannatto, I decided to get a second X32 Rack instead of an S16.  Best move ever.  Separate monitor control.  Super flexible routing.  2 card slots. Perfect for stereo IEM mixes.  2 Ultranet universes.

Mixing Station Pro on 2 tablets, 1 FOH and 1 MON, and a hard wired laptop for break music and just in case I lose WiFi.  Because of the flexibility of MSPro, I can have everything I need on one layer or 1 button press away on either tablet.

I mixed a show on a Compact a couple weeks ago and it was fun having faders and knobs again.   Their wireless AP wasn't working so I had to run the whole show including monitors from FOH.  I sure as hell missed my tablets for setting up monitor mixes and walking the room.  That stuff is just part of my workflow now.  I used my headphones more on that gig than in the last 10 shows put together.  It's so nice to be able to put yourself in the performer's position to see what they need, or more often DON'T need, and get their mix dialed in.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 01:43:58 AM »

One in each X32 Rack
Got it!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »

From reading posts by Robert Lofgren and Paul Vannatto, I decided to get a second X32 Rack instead of an S16.  Best move ever.  Separate monitor control.  Super flexible routing.  2 card slots. Perfect for stereo IEM mixes.  2 Ultranet universes.

Mixing Station Pro on 2 tablets, 1 FOH and 1 MON, and a hard wired laptop for break music and just in case I lose WiFi.  Because of the flexibility of MSPro, I can have everything I need on one layer or 1 button press away on either tablet.

I mixed a show on a Compact a couple weeks ago and it was fun having faders and knobs again.   Their wireless AP wasn't working so I had to run the whole show including monitors from FOH.  I sure as hell missed my tablets for setting up monitor mixes and walking the room.  That stuff is just part of my workflow now.  I used my headphones more on that gig than in the last 10 shows put together.  It's so nice to be able to put yourself in the performer's position to see what they need, or more often DON'T need, and get their mix dialed in.
While my personal rig is a pair of X32 Racks same as you the normal venue I work has a QU-24 and MixingStation Pro is a lifesaver there.  Like you I do all initial setup (name channels, set gains, basic EQ, monitor mixes) right from stage standing with the musicians then go back to the console and do the last century thing with labeling board tape.  To its credit the QU has a user-definable custom fader layer (a serious deficiency of the X/M32 IMHO) which I configure to mimic the layout I created on the tablet.  Then I prop the tablet on the left side of the console and use it to do any and all gate/EQ/compressor adjustments throughput the night and only use the console for its faders. It's a very workable collaboration between tablet and console.
..db

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »

While my personal rig is a pair of X32 Racks same as you the normal venue I work has a QU-24 and MixingStation Pro is a lifesaver there.  Like you I do all initial setup (name channels, set gains, basic EQ, monitor mixes) right from stage standing with the musicians then go back to the console and do the last century thing with labeling board tape.  To its credit the QU has a user-definable custom fader layer (a serious deficiency of the X/M32 IMHO) which I configure to mimic the layout I created on the tablet.  Then I prop the tablet on the left side of the console and use it to do any and all gate/EQ/compressor adjustments throughput the night and only use the console for its faders. It's a very workable collaboration between tablet and console.

I'd give somebody $200 for a customizable fader layer on the compact / full size X32.

When I do work on a board with faders, I do the same thing. Tablet propped up on my right for all eq / gate / dynamics / fx adjustments. I also use it to walk the venue and for monitor adjustments if I can't get the performer happy with just a couple bumps on their SOF.

I do like the eq knobs on the X32 boards. I use them for sound check when I'm on a compact / full size.

I'm so glad I went with 2 racks instead of an S16 or SD16. It's nice even when I don't need the extra I/O.

Now if I can just remember to stop the recording on the X-Live before turning the mixer off... I need a battery ;D

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 12:18:16 AM »

David,

What apps are you running in those iPads? Looks like some type of RTI measurement over an eq. Didn’t know the QU could do that...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 12:49:33 AM »

David,

What apps are you running in those iPads? Looks like some type of RTI measurement over an eq. Didn’t know the QU could do that.

You are correct, the QU or its app can't do that.  The tablet on the left is a 9.7" Samsung tab running MixingStation Pro which can indeed display RTA of a channel behind the EQ display -- albeit at a lower resolution than possible on the X32. MSPro also has a nice scrolling history of both compression and gate dynamics (on both platforms).
The tablet on the right and slightly behind is an old iPad3 running Studio Six AudioTools single-channel Smaart/RTA app. I use it mainly for monitoring room dbA levels as well as to "see" where the spectrum may be getting rowdy.
..db

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »

You are correct, the QU or its app can't do that.  The tablet on the left is a 9.7" Samsung tab running MixingStation Pro which can indeed display RTA of a channel behind the EQ display -- albeit at a lower resolution than possible on the X32. MSPro also has a nice scrolling history of both compression and gate dynamics (on both platforms).
The tablet on the right and slightly behind is an old iPad3 running Studio Six AudioTools single-channel Smaart/RTA app. I use it mainly for monitoring room dbA levels as well as to "see" where the spectrum may be getting rowdy.

Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.