ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Auctioneer sound system. Please help  (Read 5796 times)

John Curtnes

Best Auctioneer sound system. Please help
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »

I am an auctioneer who sells to both inside and outside venues. I want to upgrade my sound system. I want it to be somewhat portable. Most venues with systems just are never good enough. I conduct large inside and outside sales. I need to be be clear yet loud enough for my audience. Any help or ideas would be awesome. I don't mind spending money but want a great product not just an overhyped brand.

Location. I generally put two large speakers in the front. Could you recommend a better system for inside/ outside sales?

I am looking at possibly getting a long range hailer style system. Would you recommend the best one in the industry? It would be cost effective to use just a hailer system for everything. How many speakers and where?

Who makes the best handsfree mic out there? Would prefer a wireless handsfree system.

Would you use a traditional style speaker for indoor and smaller audiences?

I was also considering a smaller system which would be portable. Something like a hailer style speaker and mic incase the venue doesn't have electric or as a backup because a failed system can lead to a sore voice.
Thank you in advance for your help!

John Fruits

Re: Best Auctioneer sound system. Please help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »

Welcome, and I just wanted to point out that this forum, in order to maintain civility and professionalism has a real name policy, no nick names for the displayed name.  You might want to change yours before the mods lock it. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »

I am an auctioneer who sells to both inside and outside venues. I want to upgrade my sound system. I want it to be somewhat portable. Most venues with systems just are never good enough. I conduct large inside and outside sales. I need to be be clear yet loud enough for my audience. Any help or ideas would be awesome. I don't mind spending money but want a great product not just an overhyped brand.

Location. I generally put two large speakers in the front. Could you recommend a better system for inside/ outside sales?

I am looking at possibly getting a long range hailer style system. Would you recommend the best one in the industry? It would be cost effective to use just a hailer system for everything. How many speakers and where?

Who makes the best handsfree mic out there? Would prefer a wireless handsfree system.

Would you use a traditional style speaker for indoor and smaller audiences?

I was also considering a smaller system which would be portable. Something like a hailer style speaker and mic incase the venue doesn't have electric or as a backup because a failed system can lead to a sore voice.
Thank you in advance for your help!

What specific equipment are you using now, especially the loudspeakers and the microphone.

That said, what is your budget?

How large are the venues that you work at?  How many people, or how far is the fartherst coverage needed?

There is quite a range of equipment that can be recommended, you need to provide more info to try and narrow things down.

Best regards,

John

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »

I run 2 to 4 QSC K12’s on stands venue dependent.  Any GOOD 12” box will do ya.  JBL PRX, Yamaha, RCF...  I use taller than normal stands.  Ultimate Support 110 BL gas lift.  The L in BL stands for leveling leg.  Uneven ground, stairs... no big deal.  I generally jack my K12’s up high and tilt them down using the built in tilter. 

a decent name brand, LEGAL FREQUENCY low end wireless mic, preferable a stereo pair.  AT, Shure, Sennheiser, etc.. will do fine.

To me the auction trick is getting decent audio distribution to the crowd without making it unbearable for the people closest to the speakers.  Often that means running in a square configuration with the speakers each taking a quarter of the ‘box’.  Sound wise it will be softest in the middle... 

Near in mind that once you get the gear, you are going to have to work with it in a variety of rooms and see what works venue to venue.   Not to sound like a jerk... but maybe a better investment for you would be to hire a Sound guy to do this for you...  I get the desire for self-contained.  The piece that misses is having a set of ears in the crowd with an iPad and remotrpe setup to deal with the sound quality in real time.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »

1)Location. I generally put two large speakers in the front. Could you recommend a better system for inside/ outside sales?
2)I am looking at possibly getting a long range hailer style system. Would you recommend the best one in the industry? It would be cost effective to use just a hailer system for everything. How many speakers and where?
3)Who makes the best handsfree mic out there? Would prefer a wireless handsfree system.
4)Would you use a traditional style speaker for indoor and smaller audiences?
John,

1) A single speaker location will avoid the interference patterns set up by multiple speaker locations.
2) Ultra Electronics TCPA at only 26 pounds may be the best in the industry for your use, the 70x80 degree pattern, light weight and high output (and efficiency) in the speech range would improve intelligibility compared to most music systems.
The frequency response is limited to 425 to 7000 Hz, you won't hear a "FM DJ" voice style from it. That said, low end in the voice range "muddies" speech, the last thing you want in an auction.
3)The Crown CM-311A headset mic has excellent rejection of background noise, which will allow you to wander around with little crowd noise, feedback, or echo problems. It can be ordered with connectors to fit various wireless belt-packs.
4) If you are not able to elevate a single point source quite high and point it down to the rear of the audience due to a low ceilings,  a distributed system may be better, but is a pain to set up.

Art

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »

He said large auction but since he has not been back, we dont know if large is a stadium, or a storefront parking lot.

Not easy to suggest with no info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »

John,

1) A single speaker location will avoid the interference patterns set up by multiple speaker locations.
2) Ultra Electronics TCPA at only 26 pounds may be the best in the industry for your use, the 70x80 degree pattern, light weight and high output (and efficiency) in the speech range would improve intelligibility compared to most music systems.
The frequency response is limited to 425 to 7000 Hz, you won't hear a "FM DJ" voice style from it. That said, low end in the voice range "muddies" speech, the last thing you want in an auction.
3)The Crown CM-311A headset mic has excellent rejection of background noise, which will allow you to wander around with little crowd noise, feedback, or echo problems. It can be ordered with connectors to fit various wireless belt-packs.
4) If you are not able to elevate a single point source quite high and point it down to the rear of the audience due to a low ceilings,  a distributed system may be better, but is a pain to set up.

Art

I've helped quite a few auctioneers with their sound for the "midwest farm auction" style as well as livestock auctions. 

I have found that extending the classic "re-entrant horn" frequency response by an octave on either end really makes the most people happier.  A solid 250 to 8k with a slight 3.5 to 4k bump up really makes it not so fatiguing as a barking metal horn -as many of these sales can go on for 7 hours.
Around here many auctioneers have settled with the Sound Projections rig -a self-powered battery system with a Shure wireless built-in. 
http://www.soundprojections.com/portable-sound-systems/sound-machine.html

And contrary to what I would have guessed, they all love a handheld over any headset.  So the natural upper-midrange bump from a '58 really helps.
Often you'll see the system strapped to the top of a "side-by-side" (A "gator" to you coasties) -or just a pickup truck in which the bookeeper rides in too.
I attended a multi-day antique tractor auction last year that covered over 150 acres.  The auctioneer just walks around with a crowd of interested bidders and the pickup truck following slowly.  So at most they have to cover a 100' circle with audio. 

For large stationary auctions there's usually a built-in system of some kind in the arena or they just rent something for that event

The Sound Projection system looked cheesy to me at first but it is surprisingly rugged, has a good tone (clear and not too "woofy"), excellent battery life, can drive a matching unpowered extension box and comes with a 6-year warranty.  (Definitely not cheap either.)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »

Lectrosonics has the Long Ranger system, basically a battery powered amplified paging horn with a wireless system.

I've seen a couple auctioneers use them.

John Curtnes

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 07:02:52 AM »

What specific equipment are you using now, especially the loudspeakers and the microphone.

That said, what is your budget?

How large are the venues that you work at?  How many people, or how far is the fartherst coverage needed?

There is quite a range of equipment that can be recommended, you need to provide more info to try and narrow things down.

Best regards,

John

I’m still just using two speakers on stands and want to have a system that can be loud for a huge crowd and lower for a small. Maybe I would be better off getting one for large and one for small crowds.

John Curtnes

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »

I run 2 to 4 QSC K12’s on stands venue dependent.  Any GOOD 12” box will do ya.  JBL PRX, Yamaha, RCF...  I use taller than normal stands.  Ultimate Support 110 BL gas lift.  The L in BL stands for leveling leg.  Uneven ground, stairs... no big deal.  I generally jack my K12’s up high and tilt them down using the built in tilter. 

a decent name brand, LEGAL FREQUENCY low end wireless mic, preferable a stereo pair.  AT, Shure, Sennheiser, etc.. will do fine.

To me the auction trick is getting decent audio distribution to the crowd without making it unbearable for the people closest to the speakers.  Often that means running in a square configuration with the speakers each taking a quarter of the ‘box’.  Sound wise it will be softest in the middle... 

Near in mind that once you get the gear, you are going to have to work with it in a variety of rooms and see what works venue to venue.   Not to sound like a jerk... but maybe a better investment for you would be to hire a Sound guy to do this for you...  I get the desire for self-contained.  The piece that misses is having a set of ears in the crowd with an iPad and remotrpe setup to deal with the sound quality in real time.

So you basically use a mic speakers and an amp? Who makes the best amp and how much power do I need? I’m looking for the gshock honda of sound gear. tough, long lasting, and not fancy. I’m looking at eh Sure PGA31-TQG. I’m one of the few who prefers a head set mic over a handheld. I’m looking at four speakers in four corners of the room maybe 8 feet up pointer down. I finally have a weekend off and want to put priority on this.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.