ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser EW300 G2 IEM Issues  (Read 1288 times)

Geri O'Neil

Sennheiser EW300 G2 IEM Issues
« on: May 17, 2018, 12:51:17 AM »

Here's what I have...

Sennheiser EW300 G2 IEM series A band. Four transmitters in a rack with combiner. Using the Sennheiser shark fin with 12ft of RG58 cable.

Recently, three of the four receivers began to receive poorly. I set up the rack at the house and went through trouble-shooting the transmitters with the one known good pack. I started with the transmitters set to the same frequency and tested them one at a time, walking around the house and into the front yard with the good pack. All of them seem to be transmitting the same strength signal.

I then set all 4 receivers to the same frequency and again walked around the house and into the front yard.

Only one pack is operating properly. Range is decent, full signal out the front door of the house and 100feet or so before it stops receiving.

The other three packs don't get near this performance. 20ft away from the transmitter rack, the RF signal on the packs begins to drop. By the time I'm out the front door, the RF lights are flashing in and out and the signal is useless.

I've replaced the antennas on the 3 bad packs. Only one of them showed any improvement, but still a little short of the pack that is performing properly.

Is there something else internal that I can look at, or is it time to chunk this G2 system, get a friggin' bank loan and replace these units with G3 series units (ASSuming I want to stay in the IEM rental business anyway)? OF course, there's no returning them to Sennheiser for service. And I understand why.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Sennheiser EW300 G2 IEM Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:40:46 AM »

So you are looking for help with a system that is illegal to operate that you are renting to customers?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:46:06 AM »

So you are looking for help with a system that is illegal to operate that you are renting to customers?
nothing illegal about "A" band... not yet, anyway.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:49:54 AM »

Oh sorry thought that was what you were implying.

The packs have probably drifted off frequency. 

Without specialized RF tools and knowledge there is not much you can do other than take them apart and check the antenna connector for damage.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »

Gee, Scott, did you even read past the first line of the post? I stated the band as well as the fact that I had just finished replacing the antennas on all the bad units. To no avail, in case you missed that, too.

Well, this was enough to take the wind out of my sails on any repair efforts of these units. And the "rental" is only to band folks I know and occasionally my former and now part-time employer. I don't have a "rental house" per se. Guess I implied that, too, eh? Oh, well....

In the garbage they go. There's a bunch of used G2s hitting the usual places, although it's not easy to find the still-legal-for-now units.

I did find a lot of light blue corrosion inside on a few of the metal parts, I may try to see there's a connection being impacted by said corrosion, but that's all the interest I have in them at this point. No need to read further. 

And back to lurk mode.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »

Gee, Scott, did you even read past the first line of the post? I stated the band as well as the fact that I had just finished replacing the antennas on all the bad units. To no avail, in case you missed that, too.

Well, this was enough to take the wind out of my sails on any repair efforts of these units. And the "rental" is only to band folks I know and occasionally my former and now part-time employer. I don't have a "rental house" per se. Guess I implied that, too, eh? Oh, well....

In the garbage they go. There's a bunch of used G2s hitting the usual places, although it's not easy to find the still-legal-for-now units.

I did find a lot of light blue corrosion inside on a few of the metal parts, I may try to see there's a connection being impacted by said corrosion, but that's all the interest I have in them at this point. No need to read further. 

And back to lurk mode.

Have you tried scraping the corrosion away? It might be sweat residue. I had that in a Transmitter, I cleaned it up and all was well again. 

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »

And back to lurk mode.

I did and I was confused by the comment that Sennheiser would not look at them. 

I know you fixed the antenna, I said looking at the connector inside for mechanical damage.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.