ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diversity IEM question  (Read 1476 times)

Gian Luca Cavalliini

• Live on Stage
Diversity IEM question
« on: May 16, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »

Anybody tried to connect  one of the two antenna with a short SMA terminated cable? Maybe should be useful to have more distance (and maybe different polarization if not using Helix transmission). But, above all, maybe less body absorption if put behind the neck, taped with HPones wire... I know, better not to remote 1/4 half dipole, and also better not to have wires close proximity and parallel with antenna, but normal position is all but ideal anyway, don't you think?
I'm preparing myself for some summer RF battles in big arenas  and will appreciate any thougts;)
LOUDER! - illustrated history of audio and live show evolution. http://www.patreon.com/gianlucacavallini

Diogo Nunes Pereira

• Barcelona, sometimes...
Re: Diversity IEM question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »

What kind of Diversity IEM receivers are you referring to?

I've had no issues with PSM1000 packs I've used in the past, and it's the only Diversity IEM I've used so far...

But the question did cross my mind that distance between antennas isn't textbook minimum 1/4 wavelength. Maybe there's something else happening within the pack Diversity switching system.

Phase adjustment maybe... Lectrosonics does some RotaPhase mumbo-jumbo in their receivers and they do tiny Rx packages. But this just me guessing though... The call is for some more illuminated fellas.

Diogo

Diogo Nunes Pereira
[email protected]
--------------------------
"I envy not those who own charriots, horses or land. I envy only those who drink water from every fountain." - Popular Song from Portugal

Gian Luca Cavalliini

• Live on Stage
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:12:31 AM »

Hi Diogo,
PSM 1000, Lectrosonics Duet, Wisycom MPR 50 are all diversity receiver.
I know from study AND measure that body (expecially BIG body  ::)) can lower the signal something like 18 dB (!). With transmitting bodypack I can do DAS in receiving (or simply put two antenna of diversity receiver in pretty different "point of view", but I can't do that with ONE transmitting antenna...
 Next days I will have PSM1000 at hand and will try, but curious to know if someone has ever triied or maybe if I missing something, If nobody do it maybe it's not a good idea...
Thanx (and sorry for my bad english)

GLuca
LOUDER! - illustrated history of audio and live show evolution. http://www.patreon.com/gianlucacavallini

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »

Next days I will have PSM1000 at hand and will try, but curious to know if someone has ever triied or maybe if I missing something, If nobody do it maybe it's not a good idea...

I'm curious to hear about your results! Something to consider: rather than using a 1/4-wave monopole (which, as you say, shouldn't be remoted from the RX because it needs a ground plane), you can follow this video from Lectrosonics to turn the end of a length of coax into a 1/2-wave dipole (which doesn't need a ground plane and so can be very happily remoted from the RX).

-Russ

Gian Luca Cavalliini

• Live on Stage
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »

I'm curious to hear about your results! Something to consider: rather than using a 1/4-wave monopole (which, as you say, shouldn't be remoted from the RX because it needs a ground plane), you can follow this video from Lectrosonics to turn the end of a length of coax into a 1/2-wave dipole (which doesn't need a ground plane and so can be very happily remoted from the RX).

-Russ

WOW! Thanx Russ, never seen this video, but that's just what I was thinking about! My idea is to put the "antenna cable" togheter with HP wire in a way to put "active" part behind neck to obtain less body absorption and two different "point of view" (sorry again for my bad english...). Maybe it should be useful also with non diversity system, I mean, body absorption could be really high with bodypack in the "classic" position (expecially with FAT artist!). I will try as soon as possible and let you all know!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.