ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gona try this another way  (Read 13989 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Gona try this another way
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »

Where might I find this deal? 

Another thought for this unfortunate thread: Would it take more than one sheet to complete one subwoofer?  5x5 is 25 sq ft.  4x8 is 32 sq ft.  I'm expecting at least 40 sq ft for an "18" sub".

Lastly, although a manufacturer of quality transducers, I wouldn't necessarily set 18 Sound as the unique gold standard for bass drivers.  But if you do buy their products, you might get to deal with the best Sales and Operations Manager in the business, since 18 Sound was acquired by B&C earlier this year...   ;)

Try going to cabinet makers' supply houses.  They are usually wholesale only, but if you go in and just say "I hear BB is the best wood to build some loudspeakers with".....well, dudes somehow sympathize with speaker building and you may get the pricing/service you could only hope for...

How many sheets...uh, do the math, right?

Heck yeah, B&C  :)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 08:06:05 PM »

Lastly, although a manufacturer of quality transducers, I wouldn't necessarily set 18 Sound as the unique gold standard for bass drivers.  But if you do buy their products, you might get to deal with the best Sales and Operations Manager in the business, since 18 Sound was acquired by B&C earlier this year...   ;)

We have been told there is no plan to merge distribution channels. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Richard Turner

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2018, 08:59:24 PM »

I think I last posted about DIY subs 4 or so years ago, In this case I'd say copy the Peavy 118HC box and tune the box with some 4" ABS popes rather than thr rectangle port.

I still stand by my statment of just buying a good used recogmized name brand box. Thheres likely some SB528 or sB1000 from EAW or multiple LS808 yorkville gathering dust to be had for $200 a pop in working order if you put the word out
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:08 PM »

We have been told there is no plan to merge distribution channels. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well then, never mind.  No Prescott for you. 

Of course, how many times have we heard that "they aren't going to close the factory".  We can probably make a list [here on PSW) of cities that are near and dear to our hearts because of the audio factories that used to be there.  Merging distribution is going to make sense at some point in the future. 

As far as used pro cabs go.  Yes!!  I'm surprised no-one has suggested looking for some used Labsubs.  There have to be used ones out there for really cheap.  And I consider them to be one of the best sounding pro subs of any type.  The OP's comments about horns not sounding right seems to be an indication of his lack of experience with the better products on the market.  He could use those carboi 18" drivers to build some mid/upper bass cabinets. 

Anyway, I think I'm just adding to the noise at this point...
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

duane massey

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:17 AM »

FWIW, I pay a little less than $ 60 per 4x8x3/4 baltic in Houston. Only one supplier (to my knowledge) stocks this in 4x8. Most stock it in 5x5, but my designs and panel saw won't work with 5x5.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2018, 02:08:25 PM »

FWIW, I pay a little less than $ 60 per 4x8x3/4 baltic in Houston. Only one supplier (to my knowledge) stocks this in 4x8. Most stock it in 5x5, but my designs and panel saw won't work with 5x5.

It's been a few years since I've priced it in Chicagoland but your $60 price sounds very very good as well.  There is a local retail chain called Owl Hardwood that is considerably more.  Many years ago I opened an account with a plywood distributor and placed an opening order.  They ended up closing my account some time later when they realized that I wasn't going to place orders like that every month

I am lucky enough to have a panel saw that will accept 5'x5' sheets but the CNC table unfortunately doesn't.  Still not quite sure I understand why the Euro standard is 5x5.  Either they have 5' tall walls or 10' tall?  Is sheetrock in the same size?   
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

duane massey

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »

As I understand it, 5x5 is a good dimension for for carpenters who build kitchen cabinets, drawers, etc., where 30" is a standard dimension. Community L&S designed their "Boxer" series many years ago to be constructed from 5x5 sheets. Since Baltic is rarely used by normal construction projects it can be hard to source.
I have not found any 4x8 sheets in 3/8", but I rarely have need for that. I can find plenty of 5x5 sheets.
Interestingly the price of Baltic has not gone up in the past few years, and actually went down by a few dollars, but Chinese/Asian plywood went up by 20-30%.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »

As I understand it, 5x5 is a good dimension for for carpenters who build kitchen cabinets, drawers, etc., where 30" is a standard dimension. Community L&S designed their "Boxer" series many years ago to be constructed from 5x5 sheets. Since Baltic is rarely used by normal construction projects it can be hard to source.
I have not found any 4x8 sheets in 3/8", but I rarely have need for that. I can find plenty of 5x5 sheets.
Interestingly the price of Baltic has not gone up in the past few years, and actually went down by a few dollars, but Chinese/Asian plywood went up by 20-30%.
The last BB I bought was 4x4 sheets of 1/2". Biggest they had, and only store of the "big 4" that was local to me that carried it. The other 3 were special order.
3 years ago it was $90.00 a pop here in the Great White North.
What an absolute joy to work with..........
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:46:00 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.