ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Infocomm 2018  (Read 7803 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Infocomm 2018
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 01:15:49 AM »

Are you looking for software, hardware, or both?
Yes?

Management has no idea what they want. But they know they want something. So I get to start looking for it. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. They mentioned touch panel maps of the building and/or show information panels. And videos screens over the entrances to the theatres, instead of marquees.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »

All right. I was going to skip it to do other work but decided to do a whirlwind visit on Thursday. That's half a day for the demo rooms and half for the Starbucks line.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »

So what cool stuff are you guys finding?

From my perusing of FB:

A&H - SQ7 (yawn, should have multiple groups of banks like x32 & more channels.) [I could see more faders being useful in theaters]
DSL - Shark fins (stereo everywhere...what?)
DSL - Reference Monitors (um yeah!)

Anyone else with cool stuff?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:03:00 AM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Art Nadelman

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 10:18:17 AM »

A&H - SQ7 (yawn, should have multiple groups of banks like x32 & more channels.) [I could see more faders being useful in theaters]

... and churches with volunteers.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

... and churches with volunteers.

Time to learn how to push one button to get to the rest of the processing channels :P

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Q
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »

I've loved my GLDs.  The SQ-series is enough down-market ergonomically that it isn't a replacement product for the GLD, even though the SQ has got some cool things.  If there's a forthcoming GLD-Q that has a similar form factor and bus flexibility to the GLD, the rest of the good stuff from the SQ, and PoE-powered stage boxes fed from a central switch, that would be an instant buy trigger for me.  The DLive is just a little too big, and the SQ is a little too small.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Q
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »

I've loved my GLDs.  The SQ-series is enough down-market ergonomically that it isn't a replacement product for the GLD, even though the SQ has got some cool things.  If there's a forthcoming GLD-Q that has a similar form factor and bus flexibility to the GLD, the rest of the good stuff from the SQ, and PoE-powered stage boxes fed from a central switch, that would be an instant buy trigger for me.  The DLive is just a little too big, and the SQ is a little too small.

I agree with everything you said.

I think Caleb and I were hoping a SQ-7/9 would replace the GLD with improved ergonomics, more channels, etc. But it seems A&H might be creating a replacement for GLD with XCVI core.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »

Yes?

Management has no idea what they want. But they know they want something. So I get to start looking for it. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. They mentioned touch panel maps of the building and/or show information panels. And videos screens over the entrances to the theatres, instead of marquees.

Justice, if you are planning to use DS as part of an emergency notification system, ask to see how fast and seamlessly it switches to that mode and back, and make sure it works with whatever fire alarm/Building Management System you are using.

We use VISIX on our campus. It's been pretty good, but in the early years, we had problems with it taking up to five minutes to switch to alert mode after being triggered by the fire alarm/emergency alert system, and we would usually have about 20% of the zones fail to return to "normal" state after the alert was cleared. It has since been fixed, but at the outset, it was unreliable for this function.

For touch-panel maps, our campus is using Campus Bird. It's pretty slick if you have nice looking maps. It allows users to zoom in on a building by floor from a 3D cartoon of the campus.   

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »

The Danley shark fin was pretty cool. It's not an actusly product perse, yet. It's more a proof of concept with the idea that future speakers may start to use tht method in certain applications.

All I'm doing with digital signage is collecting as much info as I can from what seem to be relevant developers. Then I'll let the marketing people dig into them more.

And oh yeah...Dante Audio AND Video.

Yes, Audinate will be adding video transport to Dante in the near future.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

David Buckley

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »

One of my assigned tasks for attendance at this show is to find some info on digital signage product lines to bring back to our marketing people.

You're going to the wrong show.  You wanted to go to the Digital Signage Expo, but you missed this year.

Anyone have any pointers on which companies and product lines to pay attention to?

There are dozens if not hundreds of vendors in this space.  There are panel manufacturers like NEC and Samsung who can put smarts into their panels so that they become an integrated solution, and on this theme there are "stand alone" versions which you update with a USB stick, or network versions with central control.

There are software pure-play vendors, so you'll need a PC (these days, usually a box on the back of the panel) to do the display driving.

And then there is Xibo, which is (almost) free and is good enough for many applications.  We used it as our "interim" solution a few years back because we couldn't figure out what we should spend real money on.  Its still there, and we have an unstarted project to replace Xibo...

And digital signage is a completely different space to video.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.