ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC MX3000a, Yamaha P7000s and the Crest CA9 experiences?  (Read 3683 times)

Brad Jekko

QSC MX3000a, Yamaha P7000s and the Crest CA9 experiences?
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:22:22 AM »

I am upgrading from my HH mosfet to a bigger amp, capable of running 600w JBL S-RX model 12s and horns. Maybe later on subs.

These amps are available, as well as the Crown 3600vz at the top of my budget, but I have read some posts here where a couple of posters felt that their macrotechs started to sound tired towards the end of the night, interested to hear if anyone feels similarly or not.

Any comments, experiences or suggestions are welcome, I want the highest fidelity above all, but the ability to run tight subs is also a consideration. The P7000s has been criticized here for it's performance on big subs.  Both the QSC above and the CA9 seemed to get high praise for their performance on subs.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: QSC MX3000a, Yamaha P7000s and the Crest CA9 experiences?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »

All older antiquated models, but all of them are fine. The Crest is probably a stand out in terms of performance. I wouldn't say that any of them are the cream of the crop when it comes to sound. Simply, they sound fine. Given your budget for amplifiers, you are not even close to a top tier amp. Your model options are smack dab in the middle of the affordable power amp mess.

Tight subs and running for long periods of time isn't necessarily a power amp only issue. Keeping really short lengths of high AWG cable between the amps and the subs can help " tighten " them up, but it isn't going to be a night and day difference over conventional methods. In either case, I don't see any of these amps setting the bar for both quality of sound and perceived tightness, or fidelity. They will simply sound fine.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Brad Jekko

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:32:02 PM »

Could the EV CP3000 offer more fidelity than the Crest CA9?  I am picking up a theme that amps with old style power supplies are a cheaper way to get subs to perform like top of the line modern amps.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »

We run P7000's on our old Meyer 650R2's.  They are fairly efficient but still the 7k's are effortless.  They never seem strained.  We run 6-10 subs 1 amp bridged per sub. 

The Yammies were left over from an install so it was not an engineered solution, just an opportunistic one.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:25:23 PM »

Of those 3 the QSC would probably be the best performer on subs but that said I have no complaints about the Yamahas... I have P7000s on subs(one 4ohm driver per ch), P5000s on mids and P3500s on 2" comps. The Yamahas are newest design on your list and at 26lbs the P7000 is almost 1/3 the weight of the QSC MX3000 if that matters.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »

I use still use MA3600's on my subs, they sound fine, the only thing tired at the end of the night is me loading up those 60 pound amps.

I do use some supplemental cooling in the rack with those to help draw air out of the rack, the air intake on a 3600 is on the front and they exhaust out on the sides. Keep that in mind if you do get them and they are racked with amps that the air intake is from the back.

I don't know what your doing for power but you may need to beef up your rack power, especially if you go with the CA9 or the MA3600.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »

I have used all 3, and the P7000s and CA9s on the same cabinets several times at installs.

The CA9s just have more "weight" to the sound.  I can't really describe it, but seem more "solid" and "full".

When pushed, the others tend to "run out of gas" and can sound thin and fuzzy.

Yeah, I know, not real scientific meaning, but based simply on my experience and opinion.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.