ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Legit Kick Drum mic Question  (Read 4020 times)

Mike Holtzinger

A Legit Kick Drum mic Question
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »

In an effort to scale down my band systemand make it smaller, lighter and more easily transportable, I've gone from double 18 passive subs and amp racks to powered single 15's. I've also forgone my trusty old yamaha o1v96 for a Behringer XR18. We've gone from wedges to IEMs. To follow suit, I want to lose the kick drum mic stand. I know about the Shure SM91 PZM. Right now, I'm using an Audix D6 and would like some ideas for a way to mount it inside the kick drum, either permanently or something small that I could fit inside the front head hole which I think is approximately 4" dia.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: A Legit Kick Drum mic Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »

In an effort to scale down my band systemand make it smaller, lighter and more easily transportable, I've gone from double 18 passive subs and amp racks to powered single 15's. I've also forgone my trusty old yamaha o1v96 for a Behringer XR18. We've gone from wedges to IEMs. To follow suit, I want to lose the kick drum mic stand. I know about the Shure SM91 PZM. Right now, I'm using an Audix D6 and would like some ideas for a way to mount it inside the kick drum, either permanently or something small that I could fit inside the front head hole which I think is approximately 4" dia.
Look for "may" mic system...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »

I have heard good things about the Kelly Shu mic mount, I have never used one though.

http://www.kellyshu.com/
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »

I own a number of drum kits that are set up to sound good miked or not, so I don't use a permanent mic set-up.  I use some kind of damping material in all but one bass drum.  I simply place the D6 on top of the damping material, facing the batter head, and it sounds great.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »

If your reso head has a hole in it and the drum has some soft goods inside; perfectly adequate results can be obtained by just placing your D6 inside the drum on the pillow.  Move it towards the batter for more click tone, or away for more shell tone. 

A drummer I play with sometimes has a D6 permanently mounted inside his drum hole-free kick drum.  I think he home-brewed it using a gooseneck, but perhaps it was more advanced than that.  It seems he was always removing the head to adjust the mic.  Other than that it was pretty slick. 

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 03:55:27 PM »

One drummer had a tom mount on his kick and the mount went inside the kick from the top. I used a drum clamp on the mount and a small gooseneck on the other side to which I attached a D112 mic and clip.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »

I have heard good things about the Kelly Shu mic mount, I have never used one though.

http://www.kellyshu.com/
Works great, I installed one last week.  Shock mounted, consistent, inexpensive. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »

Do you guys leave the mic in the drum and how does it transport? My concern is that this seems like a decent idea for a situation where the drum isn't transported. My application is for a bar band and this drum will be put in a case, transported in a station wagon and put in a garage over and over and over.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:30 AM »

Works great, I installed one last week.  Shock mounted, consistent, inexpensive. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

They get my vote, an old friend is a dealer and user in his personal kit as well as his backline rental kit.

Best regards,

John

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 09:02:19 AM »

Do you guys leave the mic in the drum and how does it transport? My concern is that this seems like a decent idea for a situation where the drum isn't transported. My application is for a bar band and this drum will be put in a case, transported in a station wagon and put in a garage over and over and over.

Two years on tour with no problems at all.
They work great and the mics don't move in transport. Improves the sound too.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 09:02:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.