ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there good alternatives to Radial DI’s.  (Read 8143 times)

Andrew Watts

Are there good alternatives to Radial DI’s.
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:40:10 AM »

I’ve tended to use cheap DIs over the years.
I need to buy 3 stereo DIs. Radial’s are not cheap in Australia. Are there any real alternatives that a robust and sound great? Mainly yo use for keyboards, and sometimes with acoustic instruments.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Are there good alternatives to Radial DI’s.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:08:42 AM »

It kind of depends how cheap you want to go, or the way I see it, how much durability you are risking to sacrifice.

If price is the #1 concern, there are options from Pyle, Behringer and ART that will all probably work just fine--until they don't.

If you're willing to spend a few more bucks, there are some more robust models from Whirlwind, RapcoHorizon and EWI.

I've never regretted buying a Radial, but I understand it can be a tough pill to swallow. We're able to get the Klark Teknik DI boxes for a good price, so have been trying those lately with satisfying results (they're big, but I do like the rubber jacket they live in).

Ultimately my main requirements from a DI box are durability and ease of use. I just need it to work. I honestly can't name a time something sounded "bad" because of the DI box I was using. But I have had cheap DI boxes take a fall, break a switch or suffer some other failure they're done for the day. With the Radial/KT/Whirlwind units, I simply brush it off and continue on with my day.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:46:01 AM »

There is less difference between active DI's than passive ones, IMO.

Chris Eddison

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:20:18 AM »

If you don't mind paying shipping from the UK then the Orchid Electronics ones are very affordable and have a great reputation. Also supporting a small business who've been in the game for years.
I personally use the LA Audio active DI's and really like them, but they're not exactly flooding the market so sourcing one might be a problem.

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 04:42:58 AM »

If you don't mind paying shipping from the UK then the Orchid Electronics ones are very affordable and have a great reputation. Also supporting a small business who've been in the game for years.

I too bought a pair of Orchids - 1x Classic (mono) and 1x Dual. Both active. Honestly I can't tell the difference between them and my Radial Pro48 and J48 stereo but I've not exactly done close AB comparisons, neither have I tried them with a particular hot source to gauge for headroom etc. I tend  to reach for the Radials so clients (who are often the band booking me) recognise the brand name. The Orchids do superficially look cheaper and more generic.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:20 AM »

Radial do a cheaper product called Radial PRO.

The Radial JDI Passive Stereo is Au$529.

The Radial PRO D2 Passive Stereo is Au$259.

I have 3 of the Radial PRO D1 mono passive DI's, and I've had no problem with them...and they sound as good as any other DI I've tried.

Might be worth investigating.

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »

There’s a gentleman in here who makes a DI box that many speak highly of. It uses a Jensen transformer, and lists for $146USD; less if you order more than one.

See here.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »

Years ago when DBX entered the DI game they were on sale at Sweetwater for an introductory price. I think I paid like 50 bucks for passive and 60 for active or something like that. I still have them and they all still work 100%. The only issue I've had is the rubber pad on the bottom falls off. All the functional stuff has given me no problems at all....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/dbx-db10-passive-direct-box/189912000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6reSp66F2wIVyp6zCh2LRwPvEAQYAiABEgKU7PD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E221957295803-device%5Et-plaid%5E323968855183-sku%5E189912000001000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA

I also have a few Radial ProDI's which are 99 dollars here in the States. Those are bulletproof as well.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »

Those are bulletproof as well.

I wish I could say that my Radials have been bullet-proof, but I've had several failures. Broken switch on a JDI, lost signal on one side of a PRO-D2, and had to have the Jensen transformer replaced on another JDI (lifetime warranty? Nope-I still had to pay) . Also the locking screws keep falling off the 1/4" jacks on the Pro D2's. They travel in a padded mic case. I own 5 D2's, 4 JDI's and a J48. FWIW.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »

Also the locking screws keep falling off the 1/4" jacks on the Pro D2's. They travel in a padded mic case. I own 5 D2's, 4 JDI's and a J48. FWIW.

-Mark

I had to Loc-Tite all the plastic nuts on the 1/4" jacks on my Radials. It didn't make me like them any less, but I wish I didn't have to do that. I haven't lost any since though.

I lost a few before I decided to Loc-Tite them. Radial sent me replacements for free.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.