ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bassboss Subs  (Read 6437 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Bassboss Subs
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 06:38:15 PM »

When I was a touring puke, I used a rig 2-3 times a year that had up to 3 Deuces a side. These are the older "Bassmaxx" subs. Same company, different dumb name. The Deuce is a dual 12" horn sub that could rearrange your innards pretty easily.
When I was in college we changed from a pile of EAW SB528 subs to 8x Bassmaxx B1 (?) subs, the largest at the time single 18" model.  Wasn't the B-Zero, that wasn't quite out yet.  Have also run across a B-3 (?) at a church install in northern Minnesota once. 

They were responsible for my turn from preferring front loaded subwoofers to horn loaded.   

I haven't heard the newer models but wouldn't hesitate to give them a serious listen. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »

Serious toys or tools.

Back in 2007, Paul Bell hosted a subwoofer shootout in NYC.  No JBL, no EAW, but a nice selection of other brands from around the world.  The sub David brought had 3x 12" cones.  The result of listening and testing brought the NY Environmental Police to the club because we were rattling stuff in a 5th floor apartment - across the street.  In down town Manhattan.

The LAB Archives has a couple of threads about organizing the event and the event itself.  The magic search phrase is "NYC sub shoot out".  The first thread should start around late summer of 2006.

Jeff Permanian was there with first version of his compact sub.  A forum member brought a modified LABhorn.

Lots of TEF sweeps and some magic smoke releases.

Mac Kerr, Dave Dermont, Rob Spence, Ivan Beaver, me... people you know from the forums were there, too.  Fun to meet folks I'd only know on screen.
What I remember the most was that after the "trip" was measured/played, Jeff and Mark carried in the Growler.

Pretty much everybody laughed-because it was so much smaller than the Tripp

But they shut up pretty quickly when it was played.

A good point of "diminishing returns".  Once you get to a certain point, it gets hard and harder to get more and more.

It was that one event that gave the Growler its start because of the showing.

Hence the reason to do side by sides, and not just judge on different opinions or thoughts in different setups.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »

The LAB Archives has a couple of threads about organizing the event and the event itself.  The magic search phrase is "NYC sub shoot out".  The first thread should start around late summer of 2006.

I tried searching that and it came up with nothing. Where do you search that phrase?

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 01:52:26 PM »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »

I tried searching that and it came up with nothing. Where do you search that phrase?

I guess no spaces between sub & woofer, and shoot & out.

" site:forums.prosoundweb.com NYC subwoofer shootout " pasted into Google will get your there.

Oops, thanks David W for the linky.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:14:57 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.