Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

DiVentix 2 - DVI to SDI conversion - Edge Blending

(1/4) > >>

Nathan Riddle:
tl;dr

Old:
Mac-Mini (VGA) > input 6 (DVX2) > Out1/2 (DVI) > Analogue Way DVI extender > DVI cable > Projector
1024x768 > 1600x1200 4/3 x2 edge blended.

New:
Mac-Mini (VGA) > input 6 (DVX2) > Out1/2 (SDI) > BM Micro Converter > HDMI > DVI > Projector

---

Can't be HDCP issues as the VGA input isn't HDCP protected.

I've tried different output formats. None seem to work.

I bet the decimator converters would have worked...too bad its out of stock :(

---

Story:
One of the DVI cables failed (flickering/stability issues). Tech director asked me to run convert to SDI and run new cables. Sure, no prob.

I confirmed with analogue way that the BM converters should work no problem before even starting down the path. I feel I've done my due diligence. Now what am I doing wrong?

Video is never that simple though, hah.

Caleb Dueck:
If there is good signal with DVX2, then is the SDI cable good and appropriate for the distance?

We've had some issues with BMD converters, have you tried an MD-HX (I think they're still in stock)? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on May 12, 2018, 05:25:23 PM ---If there is good signal with DVX2, then is the SDI cable good and appropriate for the distance?

We've had some issues with BMD converters, have you tried an MD-HX (I think they're still in stock)? 

--- End quote ---

That's the thing, with a 2ft cable it won't work using SDI into BMD into dvi monitor.

DIV output works, I called analogue way making sure the SDI output was always on. Both support SMPTE 259M so in theory it should just work.

I might have to try the md-hx but at 3x the cost it's a hard sell compared to the lx or cheaper BMD.

For Sunday I'm going to try using the cat5e they ran with some tx/rx I have. Im worried about the long run and not shielded, so we shall see. I might try the 1694a I ran in an analogue configuration.

*shrug* outta ideas.

Jordan Wolf:
This seems like a “simple” resolution mismatch...

When going out over SDI, what is your output resolution set to? If it’s anything but a video signal, it won’t work.

BMD doesn’t typically like VESA (graphics) resolutions, only SMPTE/PAL (video).

BMD gear also standardizes on SDI type B, vs basically everything else at type A. Maybe you can tweak this in the converter settings?

The DVI extender you used to use could handle both VESA and SMPTE, probably up to 1920x1200/60 and/or 1920x1080p/60. The new converters cannot.

Scott Holtzman:
Nathan,

I think Jordan is right.  I dealt with all this BS and came to two conclusions. 

1 - Use a scaler and convert your input to the projection resolution. 

2 - Keep the resolution consistent from the switcher to the projector.  Use only a native resolution of the projector.

3 - Use a projector with an SDI input.

I have had equal luck with high end scalers as I have with $100 Chinese units.

I love the BMD switcher. 

I picked up a pair of of Christie 8k projectors from Wyatt from A2D (another labster) and it really moved our video chops up to being able to do larger events.

Don't bother buying a screen, you will never have the size you need.  Fast folds are FedEx shippable.  Work with a local company or get an account with VER. 

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version