Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Software RTA for DBX/Crown CDI System

(1/3) > >>

chris georgiou:
I and in the process of installing a DBX ZonePro 1260m based system for an upscale hotel/restaurant/lounge place and I need to calibrate after the install. Speakers are new bi-amped JBL AE AM7212 for the main room, existing bi-amped McCauley  ID2.208 for the lounge powered by Crown CDI amps. No subs for now; will add them later on. What would you guys recommend for RTA? I've used REW(Room EQ Wizard) when I was building my speakers and I have a calibrated mic for it but I would rather use something designed for commercial.

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: chris georgiou on May 12, 2018, 10:39:16 AM ---I and in the process of installing a DBX ZonePro 1260m based system for an upscale hotel/restaurant/lounge place and I need to calibrate after the install. Speakers are new bi-amped JBL AE AM7212 for the main room, existing bi-amped McCauley  ID2.208 for the lounge powered by Crown CDI amps. No subs for now; will add them later on. What would you guys recommend for RTA? I've used REW(Room EQ Wizard) when I was building my speakers and I have a calibrated mic for it but I would rather use something designed for commercial.

--- End quote ---

An RTA is not the tool you need. An RTA has no sense of time which is critical in measuring a system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Rob Spence on May 13, 2018, 05:39:15 PM ---An RTA is not the tool you need. An RTA has no sense of time which is critical in measuring a system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

--- End quote ---
Correct.  What you're looking for are SmaartLive or Systune.   And a class from them on how to use it. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on May 13, 2018, 06:40:43 PM ---Correct.  What you're looking for are SmaartLive or Systune.   And a class from them on how to use it. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
RTA's have some usefulness as an educational tool. 
If you are new to recognizing frequencies they are helpful -especially with feedback. 
They also really help one figure out the left to right LF to HF and up/down amplitude of charting standard -you might not realize how many people don't understand that. 
Watching an RTA while playing back commonly known sounds really helps one understand relationships of frequencies and loudness   -and really makes many have their first epiphany in finally equating a spec-sheet frequency-response graph to real life
I think these are things that people need to understand before even jumping to a Smaart or similar type system.
-for someone running out and buying a rig cold-turkey it would be a waste of money if they don't already fully understand an RTA and now have a craving for what they don't tell you

The cheap app-based rta's for smartphones are a really good way to help learn the basics and many times for non-critical BGM systems (with no serious tuning contracted) I've even pulled mine out and found that annoying resonance that was a half-octave lower than what I guessed.  Or trying to ring out that podium (sic) mic with a head-cold!

So they are not the end-all, but they still have their usefulness.

chris georgiou:
At this point I mostly need to dial in the gain for the HF/LF and the two solutions are too much for what I need to do. I can do it by ear but want to get an idea about problem spots as well. Any reason not to use something like this?
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
I already have a calibrated mic for it(UBIK-1).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version