ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how would you power these Cabs given these amps...  (Read 2019 times)

Matthew Palmer

how would you power these Cabs given these amps...
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:24:09 PM »

Just curious and looking for additional input here. i will be powering 4 Yorkville subs (LS808, 8ohm) and a 2 Yorkville tops E2152 4ohm. Here is what my current choices are for amps... (2) Behringer INuke nu-4 6000... (1) Crown XLS 2500... (1) Crown XLS 1500. I also have 2 monitor mixes to power separately. Thanks...

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: how would you power these Cabs given these amps...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:19:56 AM »

Do you have any crossovers or signal processors?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:32:47 AM »

For those following along,

LS808 sub - 1400w continuous, 8ohm - 18" subwoofer
E2152 - 1600w continuous, 4ohm - 2x15" mains

I'd run the Behringers both bridged down to two channels. In that usage, they put out around 1200w/ch into 8ohm and 2000w/ch into 4ohm.
I'd put the mid-high unit on one side and a pair of subs on the other, and drop an amplifier behind each speaker stack.

It's not quite as much power as these cabs might like to see, but you'll be able to make a decent amount of noise.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »

Just curious and looking for additional input here. i will be powering 4 Yorkville subs (LS808, 8ohm) and a 2 Yorkville tops E2152 4ohm. Here is what my current choices are for amps... (2) Behringer INuke nu-4 6000... (1) Crown XLS 2500... (1) Crown XLS 1500. I also have 2 monitor mixes to power separately. Thanks...

I own and use many Yorkville passive speakers.
The e2152 over 808 combination is one that I seriously considered purchasing.
First thing on your list should be procuring the proper processor for the 2152's: EP2152

I am not quite sure Yorkville still makes that specific unit but they did (recently) make an Elite processor with which you can select the processing options...  Call Yorkville (Niagra Falls) and ask them to transfer the call to the plant in Canada and be connected to "Guy".  He's got all of the info on the elite series.

I have the appropriate processor for all of the elite cabs that I own.  It makes things w-a-y easier to route things.  You will have the option of full range, bi-amp full range, or bi-amp with sub.

I quickly glanced at the 2152 specs and suggest that you bi-amp those cabs...however....finding a power amp for the horns will be the issue..
Assuming that the horns are similar to the horns in my e152 cabs (I think so) 100 watts @8 ohms should be the max going in to each horn.  I use one channel of a Crown xs4300 (200 watts @8 ohms) for two horns..

The INUKE you suggest would have too much power for the horns...you'll roast them in no time..
A Crown xls1002 (or another amp with similar specs) would be more appropriate however running both horns from one channel will make your rig mono...     

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »

The INUKE you suggest would have too much power for the horns...you'll roast them in no time..
A Crown xls1002 (or another amp with similar specs) would be more appropriate however running both horns from one channel will make your rig mono...   

Gee Mike, should I dump the Crown ITech HD 12000 we use for HF?  I wouldn't want to blow my horns... ;)

If allowed to operate without sanity, reason, hearing or limiting, eh.... maybe it's too much.  JBL thinks it's just right... 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »

Gee Mike, should I dump the Crown ITech HD 12000 we use for HF?  I wouldn't want to blow my horns... ;)

If allowed to operate without sanity, reason, hearing or limiting, eh.... maybe it's too much.  JBL thinks it's just right... 8)

If allowed to operate with proper (stated above) operation a larger amp would be fine
however
if the gear is ever to go out on a rental or be tech'd by someone else, proper operation may go "out the window".

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 01:59:04 PM »

If allowed to operate with proper (stated above) operation a larger amp would be fine
however
if the gear is ever to go out on a rental or be tech'd by someone else, proper operation may go "out the window".

Clipping the HF amp would be just as bad as using an amp with greater current capability.  Unless it's minuscule, a "smaller amp" is not insurance against heavy-handed operation.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »

I'd run the Behringers both bridged down to two channels. In that usage, they put out around 1200w/ch into 8ohm and 2000w/ch into 4ohm.
I'd put the mid-high unit on one side and a pair of subs on the other, and drop an amplifier behind each speaker stack.

It's not quite as much power as these cabs might like to see, but you'll be able to make a decent amount of noise.

Chris

Without stand alone speaker processing, I would suggest the NU6000DSP instead.

Matthew Palmer

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:21:11 PM »

Thanks for the replies! i'm not a sound engineer, although we work with a knowledgeable tech each week... Yes i do have the proper yorkville crossever, EP2152. We were questioning if we have it all running as it should be with proper switches engaged and stuff... I do believe how we are running it would be considered biamping with sub. basically the tops are running full range with the crossover sending 100 and below to the subs. By the way i thought the LS 808 were around 700 or 800 Continuous, no? We had it hooked up pretty close to the suggestion abover... we bridged both Behringers and plan to run all 4 subs on one amp. 2 subs per side then dedicate the other Behringer in bridged mode to the tops. one top per side.....

Matthew Palmer

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »

Chris
according to yorkville its 700 continuous... http://yorkville.com/legacy/product/ls808/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.